• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 669 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nah, not quite literally. He said something like this: "there is a generational renewal, it is evident the others have their birthdates as an advantage. I believe I am the only one born in 1984 who is fighting with the best. The year has been hard and complicated for everybody."

Oh he's pulling the 1984 card... of course I have to cheer for him now. We can still fight with the best! You're not the only one, Vincenzo!

Nah, not quite literally. He said something like this: "there is a generational renewal, it is evident the others have their birthdates as an advantage. I believe I am the only one born in 1984 who is fighting with the best. The year has been hard and complicated for everybody."

well, he is behind Fuglsang and ahead of Pozzovivo, so it's not like he is an outlier for the aging curve

and while I understand the need to talk himself up, 'fighting with the best' sound a bit odd from a rider 8th on GC who probably had different aims at the start

well, he is behind Fuglsang and ahead of Pozzovivo, so it's not like he is an outlier for the aging curve

and while I understand the need to talk himself up, 'fighting with the best' sound a bit odd from a rider 8th on GC who probably had different aims at the start

Sure, but he can't say he was really bad in this Giro while pushing good watts. Because I am somehow convinced that his shape relative to his best is not so far off as it looks like.

OK, but with due respect to Fuglsang and Pozzovivo they don't even come close to being in the same league as Nibali. Age is a big factor but it is also very subjective, for one rider going from 35 to 36 might be a disaster, another may not even notice (then there's Valverde).

I guess he is indeed fighting with the best, and losing horribly.

Nibali passing the bag to the next generation?!

IMG-20201022-WA0006.jpg

Actually he posted this on insta with a nice message to Almeida.

I will always love the shark .He brings something to racing that few others do and he is a supremely talented rider .

Here is the power estimates for the first 3 on Stelvio today ...Good numbers but not beyond reach
View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1319351834553798656?s=20

I think the Covid situation has done for Nibali as it has done to alot of riders this year plus he had no team and lets not forget that makes a difference

But as the man says it is what it is
Next year if a full season we may see a balancing but too late for the shark in GTs

Would be nice to see him target some one day races before bowing out
Even a go on the cobbles

So this is where I turn on music that makes me nostalgic, lay in my bed, close my eyes and get sad of wittnessing the end of an era.

The reality is, after this giro I don't expect him to ever be the top rider he used to be again, but whatever happens from here on, nothing can change how highly I regard this guy. Nothing can change that he was one of the biggest idols of my childhood, my teenage years and even now (which still feels suspiciously much like childhood. I might be doing something wrong). I'm not quite ready to say good bye just yet and still hope for some good performances in the future but it feels like I have to prepare myself for the inevitable.
I just wish Vincenzo Nibali could win one more bike race.

Thing that worries me most is that in 2021 I expect things to go even faster so Nibali might be left looking like he aged a million years if he doesn't move along with the times.

For sure if he doesn't then there's also no changing into one day races and being competitive, nor is there real lighting up another GT.

I think the Covid situation has done for Nibali as it has done to alot of riders this year plus he had no team and lets not forget that makes a difference

But as the man says it is what it is
Next year if a full season we may see a balancing but too late for the shark in GTs

Would be nice to see him target some one day races before bowing out
Even a go on the cobbles

The team has been a problem for a few years. It seems next year his team will be even worse. Trek better wake up and do some transfers but probably it's already to late.

So this is where I turn on music that makes me nostalgic, lay in my bed, close my eyes and get sad of wittnessing the end of an era.

The reality is, after this giro I don't expect him to ever be the top rider he used to be again, but whatever happens from here on, nothing can change how highly I regard this guy. Nothing can change that he was one of the biggest idols of my childhood, my teenage years and even now (which still feels suspiciously much like childhood. I might be doing something wrong). I'm not quite ready to say good bye just yet and still hope for some good performances in the future but it feels like I have to prepare myself for the inevitable.
I just wish Vincenzo Nibali could win one more bike race.
Let me swim in Africa's largest river for one more year before I start thinking about writing a eulogy.

I don't want the only corner in the whole wide internet where Nibali isn't underrated to go sad this quickly.

get back in the bag.

Reactions: Carols
I will believe that he can find success next season, and maybe into 2022 as well.

He has had his moments this season and there will be plenty of times that being willing to risk it will get him into contention in one day races, even in the twilight of his career.

If he can find a change that works for him I won't even write off GT contention again next year but it is hard to see teams having that belief

It's actually kinda sad that the the pace on the Stelvio was so high right away that he couldn't even try an attack. Honestly wouldn't be surprised now if he attacks on the very first Sestriere ascent tomorrow.
All the stages where a weaker guy can make impactful attacks came and went a week ago. Between a useless attack that Ganna get reeled in smiling and just follow and blow up again, I'm not sure I care that much.

We'll see next year if he still has something left in the bag for us. I think it's either better than this year or it's a year of trying breakaway for stage and bow out.

On an unrelated note, I went to the store earlier today and when I got the bag for the stuff I couldn't not think about Lo Squalo

Reactions: Rollthedice
Nibali would be better attacking far out before climbs.May not work but better go down fighting

I was having a word with a pro friend of mine and he said the way the stages are ridden has made the final climbs so fast .
He said cycling is no longer an endurance sport like it used to be
Now they ride very medium pace until last climbs and go eye balls out

Before they let breaks go up to 10 minutes and then rode faster for longer to catch so tiring out alot of riders who dropped out the back before they could do their short final sprints . The riding now suits riders like Roglic better

I am sure he must have the numbers to demonstrate this
It means endurance versus final speed has shifted

Nibali doenst have a team for attacking further out but its the only way to change from 'sprinting' to 'middle distance' cycling

TRENDING THREADS