• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 670 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nibali would be better attacking far out before climbs.May not work but better go down fighting

I was having a word with a pro friend of mine and he said the way the stages are ridden has made the final climbs so fast .
He said cycling is no longer an endurance sport like it used to be
Now they ride very medium pace until last climbs and go eye balls out

Before they let breaks go up to 10 minutes and then rode faster for longer to catch so tiring out alot of riders who dropped out the back before they could do their short final sprints . The riding now suits riders like Roglic better

I am sure he must have the numbers to demonstrate this
It means endurance versus final speed has shifted

Nibali doenst have a team for attacking further out but its the only way to change from 'sprinting' to 'middle distance' cycling
Except overall speeds of mountain stages aren't down and there's not really a big noticable difference between fast ridden stages and slow ridden stages in terms of climbing performance.

What's up with the funeral atmosphere, as long as he's racing the Shark is not dead. He has never given up, so I don't see why we should give him up now.
It's moments of hardship that bring out the true fans... so forza Vincenzo, you'll have my support even if you decide to retire at 80.

Expectations color perception. Many of us that frequent this thread were expecting More from Lo Squalo. But he has given all he has and that is all he can do. His shoes are still welcome :).

Except overall speeds of mountain stages aren't down and there's not really a big noticable difference between fast ridden stages and slow ridden stages in terms of climbing performance.

Speeds on final mountain climbs are up but no one said overall stage speeds are down nor it is about fast ridden versus slow ridden stages

Here is a simple illustrative example of what was meant
Imagine a stage that is 200 KMs

you ride first 40% at 30km an hour
then 60% at 50km an hour
it takes 6.4hours

as opposed to a a stage where you ride
first 30% at 25km per hour
next 50% at 30km per hour
final 20% at 60km per hour

it takes also takes 6.4hours but is a very different race
The first example has a high speed for longer but does not have the very fast final speed at the end .So if you are a fast rider but not able to go hard for long then example 2 would suit you better

Speeds on final mountain climbs are up but no one said overall stage speeds are down nor it is about fast ridden versus slow ridden stages

Here is a simple illustrative example of what was meant
Imagine a stage that is 200 KMs

you ride first 40% at 30km an hour
then 60% at 50km an hour
it takes 6.4hours

as opposed to a a stage where you ride
first 30% at 25km per hour
next 50% at 30km per hour
final 20% at 60km per hour

it takes also takes 6.4hours but is a very different race
The first example has a high speed for longer but does not have the very fast final speed at the end .So if you are a fast rider but not able to go hard for log then example 2 would suit you better
That perfectly explains Pogacar's ITT then.

Pogacar is a top rider and can ride long and short stages well
My example is a crude example of an explanation in the overall shift in cycling away from stamina racing ..that is all
The differences between all pro riders is very small...they really are just marginal. .Although these differences are magnified on stages like yesterday they are still small
A slight shift in how stages are raced can enhance those differences ..that is all
And at the moment my theory demonstrates how they favour the riders who can wait and do the sprint up the last few KM of the mountain

Have everyone lost their mind? Yes gap is 5:47, but it’s still a day of climbing and the guys in front are Kelderman (a meme), Hindley (who tis guy?), Tao (lol), Bilbao (he has to cover 300km tomorrow), Almeida (already cracked), Fuglsang (a GT joke) and Konrad (can’t be taken serious as he has a first name as his last name).

It’s not over before the fat man (Slongo) sings.

Have everyone lost their mind? Yes gap is 5:47, but it’s still a day of climbing and the guys in front are Kelderman (a meme), Hindley (who tis guy?), Tao (lol), Bilbao (he has to cover 300km tomorrow), Almeida (already cracked), Fuglsang (a GT joke) and Konrad (can’t be taken serious as he has a first name as his last name).

It’s not over before the fat man (Slongo) sings.

Really??? Looking at the way you describe some riders i m not surprised you are rooting for evenepoel. Same arrogance as your favourite rider apparently.

I ll never give up on lo squalo as the man deserves better then this. I already wrote on here during TA that i was very worried about the giro so i kinda knew this was gonna happen but everyday i was wondering if y all were serious or not in this topic.
I mean the signs were there....Tt 's dont lie and they were bad if not terrible. Whatever happens next i ll support vincenzo in good days and bad days.

Really??? Looking at the way you describe some riders i m not surprised you are rooting for evenepoel. Same arrogance as your favourite rider apparently.

I ll never give up on lo squalo as the man deserves better then this. I already wrote on here during TA that i was very worried about the giro so i kinda knew this was gonna happen but everyday i was wondering if y all were serious or not in this topic.
I mean the signs were there....Tt 's dont lie and they were bad if not terrible. Whatever happens next i ll support vincenzo in good days and bad days.

We all knew man, that's why we went loco over here with the bag and the fun. It was therapy to prepare us for this.

Bro relax, it's all fun and games. We love the Squalo precisely because he allows us to indulge in these shameless memes even in times of despair.

TRENDING THREADS