• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 671 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Poor Trek lol, Contador and now Nibali. All i would say Nibali fans is don't give up just yet, Porte whilst does not have the mileage just came 3rd after all these years and there is only 2 months in age between them.

He was on Roglic level last year climbing, this he has great numbers is just BS. Look at the post about the Stelvio times, not exactly out of reach for Nibali isit? Infact Nibali of 2014 TDF wins this Giro by 5 minutes.

Poor Trek lol, Contador and now Nibali. All i would say Nibali fans is don't give up just yet, Porte whilst does not have the mileage just came 3rd after all these years and there is only 2 months in age between them.

He was on Roglic level last year climbing, this he has great numbers is just BS. Look at the post about the Stelvio times, not exactly out of reach for Nibali isit? Infact Nibali of 2014 TDF wins this Giro by 5 minutes.
1570 VAM on Stelvio from Prato is crazy. Nibali's numbers are likely pretty much in line with what he did in 2016-2019

Pogacar is a top rider and can ride long and short stages well
My example is a crude example of an explanation in the overall shift in cycling away from stamina racing ..that is all
The differences between all pro riders is very small...they really are just marginal. .Although these differences are magnified on stages like yesterday they are still small
A slight shift in how stages are raced can enhance those differences ..that is all
And at the moment my theory demonstrates how they favour the riders who can wait and do the sprint up the last few KM of the mountain
Nibali as contended for GT's since 2009 i doubt much as changed since then they are raced pretty much the same.

1570 VAM on Stelvio from Prato is crazy. Nibali's numbers are likely pretty much in line with what he did in 2016-2019
But 2016 Giro he was not outstanding imo, his 2014 TDF win which gets bashed by some people he was unbelievable. He would of win with Contador being there imo and even perhaps Froome. I still think even Nibali from 2016 wins this Giro. Look at the people that can climb better than him this Giro

But 2016 Giro he was not outstanding imo, his 2014 TDF win which gets bashed by some people he was unbelievable. He would of win with Contador being there imo and even perhaps Froome. I still think even Nibali from 2016 wins this Giro. Look at the people that can climb better than him this Giro
Only Hautacam is up there. Equal with Piancavallo basically. Lower VAM less train, lower altitude.

Reactions: Colombianfan
Nah, I'm sorry I just don't buy into that "Nibali is just as good as last year" stuff. At this point too many riders are dropping him for me to believe that. Am I supposed to think Patrick Konrad could have won the Giro if he had just shown this level a year ago?
Konrad only passed him cause he blew up big time trying to follow Rohan *** Dennis on Stelvio. He's close to his 2016 level. 2016 Nibali would have no chance in this Giro.

How come Fuglsang was out of top 10 back then, now he can drop Vincenzo with ease on his favourite terrain?

Ok, I get that the theory is that Nibali blew up on the climb and thus was worse for the rest of the stage, but the others did not exactly sit up when Sunweb started pushing. Even Almeida was trying to hang on as long as possible, in typical yoyo fashion, and eventually he caught Nibali who was pacing himself.

Let's not forget he was also dropped by the Bahrain guy pacing Bilbao and Fuglsang.

Last edited:
I mean I'm perfectly open to put it all down to lockdown form and saying 2021 is in the bag.
Well, to me this is the real question. How much of his "failure" is due to the lockdown and thus the lack of racing, versus how much is due to his age. Can we expect to see that 3% he is missing to come back next season? Or is it over forever?

I don't think there is any way to tell before 2021. So no way to say bag or no bag.

That thing about Porte this year though. The thing that should not be.

How come Fuglsang was out of top 10 back then, now he can drop Vincenzo with ease on his favourite terrain?

Ok, I get that the theory is that Nibali blew up on the climb and thus was worse for the rest of the stage, but the others did not exactly sit up when Sunweb started pushing. Even Almeida was trying to hang on as long as possible, in typical yoyo fashion, and eventually he caught Nibali who was pacing himself.

Let's not forget he was also dropped by the Bahrain guy pacing Bilbao and Fuglsang.

Nibali is bad at pacing himself because he never really had to. Konrad, Almeida and Bilbao are very good at it, because they have more experience in riding that way.

And 2016 Fuglsang is very different even from a 2017 Fuglsang.

TRENDING THREADS