• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 677 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I mean, it can be Vino/other/Nibali since you never know with Vino.
Heck now that I think about it, does anyone remember the odds for him winning the 2012 Olympics? I couldn't find it anywhere and I don't remember anyone here picking him to win except maybe Jens attackks and vino's mom.

I have placed some amusing bets in my time (most of them way off), but that one would have taken the cake. I have no idea, but I guess he would have been around 100-1? Though he did have a decent history in one day races.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I have placed some amusing bets in my time (most of them way off), but that one would have taken the cake. I have no idea, but I guess he would have been around 100-1? Though he did have a decent history in one day races.
I was thinking at least 500-1 just from the 2011 crash, his age, lack of results and racing, he said he was retiring, and how random the Olympics are. We need to find who bet on him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Today there's an interview with Keisse in a Belgian newspaper where they talk about the relation between Nibali and Evenepoel because it seems Nibali isn't too fond of Remco.

Keisse said that everything Nibali does, he does it fully consciously. He intimidates a lot and apparently it has gotten on Evenepoel's nerves sometimes.

Apparently it started last year in the Tour of Germany where Nibali sprinted for one point in the mountains classification and made Remco miss the mountains jersey.

Today there's an interview with Keisse in a Belgian newspaper where they talk about the relation between Nibali and Evenepoel because it seems Nibali isn't too fond of Remco.

Keisse said that everything Nibali does, he does it fully consciously. He intimidates a lot and apparently it has gotten on Evenepoel's nerves sometimes.

Apparently it started last year in the Tour of Germany where Nibali sprinted for one point in the mountains classification and made Remco miss the mountains jersey.

Liking it.

Seeing a "Remco misses the point" trophy cabinetesque popular meme in our fortunate forum future.

I can understand it's intimidating when you're outsprinted by Nibali. :p

I think the feud is behind them

View: https://twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1287637029883346945?s=19

Nibali even replied to that tweet which he rarely does.

First, happy birthday to Vincenzo. Good news in the interview in the Gazzetta about his approach to races next year. "In the bag" makes way for FREE NIBALI.

As for the Keisse interview, here's some bits:

"Nibali forced Evenepoel into error in the Tour of Lombardy. Of course we can't say anything about that, that's race. Evenepoel has to keep Nibali's wheel there, because the further you are, the more difficult it becomes to come back"

"He is a big name, and it also gets on Evenepoel's nerves. That started last year in the Tour of Germany. Nibali sprinted there for mountain points, so Remco lost that jersey. Nibali is busy all the time doing those kinds of intimidating stuffs"

"Nibali has troubles with everyone, and everyone has troubles with him. Sometimes he comes next to you and talks, but the next day he can walk past you without saying anything. Of course, he knows what he does: he does it consciously"

Trying to get into his rivals heads like that definitely sounds like a thing Nibali would do and while some might not like him for it, it does fit to his persona of not being satisfied with anything but winning. Take the advantage where you can get it.
Gaging future opposition was probably the only useful thing he could do in that race lol. It's very Nibali to play mindgames with whoever he's riding against, but afaik he never has long lasting beef with anyone. Wiggins was basically fanboying during Giro commentary. Roglic said there was nothing between them etc.

My main takeaway here is they go 'you can't say anything about that except we're talking about it right now'

Gaging future opposition was probably the only useful thing he could do in that race lol. It's very Nibali to play mindgames with whoever he's riding against, but afaik he never has long lasting beef with anyone. Wiggins was basically fanboying during Giro commentary. Roglic said there was nothing between them etc.

My main takeaway here is they go 'you can't say anything about that except we're talking about it right now'

I read the original interview. It wasn't Keisse who brought it up. It was the interviewer who specifically asked if Nibali forced Remco to make a mistake in the downhill of the Muro di Sormano where Keisse answers that you can't say anything about that because it's normal racing and Evenepoel should have hold the wheel of Nibali.

In my opinion there wasn't anything that could create some fuss. The interviewer asked very specific questions (does Nibali have a bad relationship with Remco, does Nibali intimidate, did Nibali force Remco to make a mistake) and Keisse answered the questions with (in my opinion) no disrespect to Nibali.

Anyway if I were Remco I would feel honoured that a champion like Nibali would feel the need to intimidate you or get inside your head at the age of 19. It must mean you've done stuff that has impressed him and he thinks of you as a possible future competitor.

Japan Cup or some other race in that part of the World would be nice probably.

Taiwan KOM Challenge, a climb of some 80 Km, already in the bag.

unnamed.png

TRENDING THREADS