• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 691 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just checked it and if I didn't overlook anything its Vino in 2010. In fact Vino is the last rider to win LBL to even ride the Giro afterwards. That's honestly insane.

About Nibali winning Trentino before not being up there in LBL. Almost everyone who rides Trentino uses it as giro preparation meaning that, if the claim is "riders going to the giro don't perform well in LBL", winning Trentino tells us absolutely nothing about whether that claim is correct.
Yeah Trentino is a level playing field in that regard. You can also compare Contador in Fleche 2010 vs 2011. One where he tried to win and another where he entered the race as Giro prep.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Those routes to Lecco were horrible, but still not as bad as the 2014 abomination. He then certainly profited a lot from the difficulty of the post 2015 routes but even the old Como routes before 2011 would have been so much better for Nibali.

Jeez, I still remember his crash on the Sormano descent in 2010. He would have certainly given Gilbert a hard time on San Fermo.

Nibali continues the preparation in the mountains towards the start of the Giro:
today there are two weeks left and he has climbed the Passo del Foscagno, 2291 meters.
He posted a story on Instagram with the breathtaking view and fixed on the 10% slope sign
He's not been wasting his time

yes, yes, yes. it tells nothing.

Pozzovivo

2 Trentino - 5 Liege - 5 Giro
3 Trentino -12 Liege - 6 Giro
7 Trentino - 63 Liege - 20 Giro
7 Trentino - 8 Liege - DNF
2 Trentino - 5 Liege - 5 Giro

also, let's be real here, apart from 2012, there isn't really a significant difference in Nibali's Liege results whether he was going to the Giro after or not.

8 Liege - 2 Giro
32 Liege - no Giro
51 Liege - 1 Giro
12 Liege - no Giro
30 Liege - no Giro
23 Liege - 1 Giro
2 Liege - no Giro
8 Liege - 2 Giro
28 Liege - 3 Giro
39 Liege - no Giro
10 Liege - 11 Giro
Clearly Pozzovivo prepared harder for Liege than Nibali in a lot of them years.

Basically Nibs has done one serious LBL attempt after his 2013/2014 breakthrough and becoming a classics winner and it was in 2018 when the prep was hampered by a third nut.

• Wow
Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
Just checked it and if I didn't overlook anything its Vino in 2010. In fact Vino is the last rider to win LBL to even ride the Giro afterwards. That's honestly insane.

About Nibali winning Trentino before not being up there in LBL. Almost everyone who rides Trentino uses it as giro preparation meaning that, if the claim is "riders going to the giro don't perform well in LBL", winning Trentino tells us absolutely nothing about whether that claim is correct.
Vino in 2010 even won Trentino before Liege, no one else has ever done Trentino/Liege double.

TGBM is pretty much their only choice, cause both Brambilla and Ciccone have shown that they aren't good for enough that. I hope Ciccone will be given a free role so he can become KOM again. I would also love to see Nibali do the same, but his level is obviously quite uncertain at this point.

TRENDING THREADS