• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 697 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tuttobiciweb reports:

Vincenzo is well and the sensations for him are positive even if, because of the fracture of the wrist, when the weather promises rain, the humidity affects negatively the Sicilian's arm. It must be said moreover that the wet handlebars are a danger for him, that so he is forced to keep high the concentration to avoid that the hand slips from the handlebars. In these first stages the Sicilian doesn't want to risk, because the race is long and he must be able to arrive in the third week in the best possible conditions. The problem to the arm is there, but the team reassures that Nibali is on the ball, he feels good in the limit of his condition and in this pink race, as soon as there will be the opportunity, he wants to give emotions to all his fans.
To be honest, that sounds encouraging. It's too bad his arm probably won't allow for him to go on the 50 km sterrato raid that I totally haven't daydreamed of at least 20 times, but I just want to see him in great shape in the alps.

• Haha
Reactions: Lui98 and Red Rick
I do! I LMAO at him, it was so Obvious Nibali was the better prospect.

Considering that Kreuziger is 1.5 years younger than Nibali, I wouldn't say it was always obvious that Nibali was going to have a far superior career. When the Czech won the Tour de Romandie in 2008 and Tour de Suisse in 2009 aged 21 and 22 he definitely looked like a future GT contender. It wasn't until Nibali's fantastic 2010 season it became apparent that he was the clearly the better of the two, and even then Kreuziger still had time to potentially catch up.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Considering that Kreuziger is 1.5 years younger than Nibali, I wouldn't say it was always obvious that Nibali was going to have a far superior career. When the Czech won the Tour de Romandie in 2008 and Tour de Suisse in 2009 aged 21 and 22 he definitely looked like a future GT contender. It wasn't until Nibali's fantastic 2010 season it became apparent that he was the clearly the better of the two, and even then Kreuziger still had time to potentially catch up.

Obviously by early 2010 I was already in love with Vincenzo and listening to Kreuziger say he was better annoyed me. I didn't know until you told me that he was a year younger!

I forget who it was at the time, maybe RedRick or Netserk, said it was apparent who was better in hindsight after 09 TdF. I think it was telling in 12 when he not only couldn't win T-A but did worse in the TT compared to Horner. It's weird, his TT started good and teetered off with the only good one I remember was 13 TdF. Which was a crazy stage with Valverde, Rodriguez, Kreuziger, Contador, and Froome all setting the best pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I forget who it was at the time, maybe RedRick or Netserk, said it was apparent who was better in hindsight after 09 TdF. I think it was telling in 12 when he not only couldn't win T-A but did worse in the TT compared to Horner. It's weird, his TT started good and teetered off with the only good one I remember was 13 TdF. Which was a crazy stage with Valverde, Rodriguez, Kreuziger, Contador, and Froome all setting the best pace.
I don't think I said that.

Kreuziger always attacked a lot in one day races especially, think he won Tour de Suisse with a long range attack. He is/has been a great rider, kind of physically similar to Pavel Sivakov, and for sure promised a lot before anyone thought about Nibali at all.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Kreuziger always attacked a lot in one day races especially, think he won Tour de Suisse with a long range attack. He is/has been a great rider, kind of physically similar to Pavel Sivakov, and for sure promised a lot before anyone thought about Nibali at all.

A lot of people forget that Nibali actually won his first WT race in 2006. Looked really good in TTs and even better on hilly stages.
Within 3 weeks: 3rd Tour of Benelux, 1st GP Plouay, 8th Tour de Pologne

Was more about the following two seasons. Both showed some upside in GTs but Kreuziger was more succesful in smaller WT stage races (TdS, Romandie). Nibali had some nice results in minor italian classics and non WT stage races but not on the same level as Kreuziger.

I think Nibali reached another level in 2009. They finished 6th and 8th (7th and 9th) in the Tour but Nibali was within reach of the podium (finished 1:34 behind Wiggins). Kreuziger finished nearly seven minutes behind Nibali. Nibali had a case for best climber not named Schleck or Contador. Kreuziger needed good TTs to stay in front of LeMevel and Astarloza.

Reactions: SafeBet
A lot of people forget that Nibali actually won his first WT race in 2006. Looked really good in TTs and even better on hilly stages.
Within 3 weeks: 3rd Tour of Benelux, 1st GP Plouay, 8th Tour de Pologne

Was more about the following two seasons. Both showed some upside in GTs but Kreuziger was more succesful in smaller WT stage races (TdS, Romandie). Nibali had some nice results in minor italian classics and non WT stage races but not on the same level as Kreuziger.

I think Nibali reached another level in 2009. They finished 6th and 8th (7th and 9th) in the Tour but Nibali was within reach of the podium (finished 1:34 behind Wiggins). Kreuziger finished nearly seven minutes behind Nibali. Nibali had a case for best climber not named Schleck or Contador. Kreuziger needed good TTs to stay in front of LeMevel and Astarloza.
If I try to remember it was exactly as you say. Both were seen as great prospects but Nibali initially more as classic rider and Kreuziger as the one for GTs (due to his early success in WT stage races). I quite well remember the 2009 TdF when there was quite some hype for the young Liquigas co-leaders. I would argue the field was rather packed that year and they still did both quite well but Nibali ofc even better and from there on its clear who had the better career.

If I try to remember it was exactly as you say. Both were seen as great prospects but Nibali initially more as classic rider and Kreuziger as the one for GTs (due to his early success in WT stage races). I quite well remember the 2009 TdF when there was quite some hype for the young Liquigas co-leaders. I would argue the field was rather packed that year and they still did both quite well but Nibali ofc even better and from there on its clear who had the better career.
The Nibali bits that hyped me in 2009 was him giving Lance *** cause he wasn't taking turns on stage 17 and tryharding to stay with Schleck and Contador on Ventoux. Little did Andy know he was the imposter

TRENDING THREADS