• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 714 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Holy... the man is going for GC?!? No way.

Edit: agree with the post above :p he feels good, he likes to do GC and that's what he's always done. Also he is probably more than a bit frustrated about how his Giro went to ****. I guess we'll have to wait for the TT and the first hard stages to see what he decides to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Even if Froome and Contador had not crashed, Nibali would have been right with them in 2014, that year was his peak for sure. The ITT would have probably made Froome favourite but I think it was the one year (whilst they were GC men) that Nibali could drop a fully fit Froome.
VINCENZO had 2:30 on contador after the cobbles, froome would not be better than Contador. Vincenzo would win. What a masterclass from the legend himself.

Makes me wonder why we haven't seen Fuglsang in Flanders yet.

Reactions: Carols
*Cavendish proves anything is possible if you join DQS.

I think there are plenty of riders or athletes that’s been able to show some great form and had success late in their careers.

And Cavendish was just an example because of what obviously happened today from recent memory.

But if you wanna say that someone has to join DQS to kickstart a career again or regain old form from glory days, that’s cool. They for sure been succesful at it, but it doesnt mean it is not possible for anyone else to do it. I mean what about Valverde this year?

Have a good night.

Meh, if he was trying hard, that's really bad. If he wasn't thinking about GC (as he should) and took it relatively easy, that's ok. We should hear it from the man himself.
He said he was trying GC, but if he felt bad on a particular stage he would forget about it. Like I said, is better from this point to go for some victory instead of fighting for the 8th overall

His TTing since joining Trek has been abysmal. Don't know if it's age related or he just can't find a proper setup but jeez.

Hopefully he picks a few stages and gets in the break. Stop the GC nonsense.
Yeah, his TT level literally fell off a cliff from 2019 to 2020, in GTs ITTs he has been a constant finisher in the top 10 for a dozen of years with excursions into the top 5 in the second part of his career and then suddenly looks like he can't even crack the top 30, the funny thing about that is that there were people convinced that with Trek he would have improved because he was riding on "that terrible old iron of a Merida bike" [cit.].

Considering the level of yesterday TT with some big names out and others injured the Nibali from a couple of years ago could have even finished just behind Pogacar.

Anyway i don't understand way his fans want him to quit the GC, IMHO if he can climb at least like last fall he can finish in the top 10 a la Zubeldia whereas winning a stage from the break will be very hard considering the level of the climbing stage hunters and his total lack of explosiviness needed to try to drop break companions and saving for Tokyo is even more nonsensical because on Mikuni pass they are going to drop him like a stone, so considering that his past (winning) self is probably gone for good grabbing a top 10 on the GC is better than nothing.

TRENDING THREADS