• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 717 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After yesterday, the only team with capabilities and will to drive hard starting from Col de Romme is Ineos. And even they might be vary because of Thomas. For JV and DQS as low pace as possible is advantage. UAE is dead after yesterday. Break can definitely succeed today and in peloton it will probably be matter of single rider attacks. Won't be suprised if Nibs is right there in the mix still good part up to Colombier, but will not be probably in the selected group to respond (late) attacks from the likes of Carapaz.

Though the wildcard called Movistar can do anything in the remit of imagination.
The only way to deal with Pogacar is chaos and madness. Carapaz, Porte or Thomas in breakaway, those sorts of shenanigans

If I were Jumbo I'd just go for Van Aert or Vingegaard in the break again today.

Sure, he’s not having the best Tour imaginable, but on GC he is in front of one of the best climbers in this year’s race, Colbrelli, the next three riders in front of him are Thomas, Yates, and Fuglsang, so he can move ahead of them and really solidify his GC standing on the next mountain stage, and he is already in front of Higuita, Alaphilippe, Valverde, Porte, Kruijswijk, and Lopez. I mean, if this isn’t where he planned on being at this point in the Tour, then you might as well tell me he wasn’t going to ride for GC in this year’s Tour.

Nibali, target Ventoux - to leave a mark. "This week, then stop"

The Gazzetta website is the worst. Anyway, yes, that's pretty much what we expected at this point: one more week in the race to try something in the relevant stages. There's only those two. Both look like long shots.

The supersonic thermonuclear trend in the peloton continues. Though from another perspective De Gendt's assesment of the current state of affairs in the peloton only confirms last year's Hindley and Hart Giro performances in relation with our old school champion. The young generation are going faster than who knows when and oddly enough they even surpass the endurance and recovery of athletes who in theory should be better based on age, experience and résumé. On top, for a thousand reasons Nibali had/has a hard time hitting his peak, whatever it was/is since he's with Trek. In a nutshell, I'm pessimistic with Ventoux, Andorra, Fuji and the rest.

The supersonic thermonuclear trend in the peloton continues. Though from another perspective De Gendt's assesment of the current state of affairs in the peloton only confirms last year's Hindley and Hart Giro performances in relation with our old school champion. The young generation are going faster than who knows when and oddly enough they even surpass the endurance and recovery of athletes who in theory should be better based on age, experience and résumé. On top, for a thousand reasons Nibali had/has a hard time hitting his peak, whatever it was/is since he's with Trek. In a nutshell, I'm pessimistic with Ventoux, Andorra, Fuji and the rest.

Reactions: Rollthedice

TRENDING THREADS