• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 753 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think it's undervalued so much as it not being "a moment", and it feels like if this is to be his last Giro it would be really nice for him to have one big send off moment at home.
I agree, but likelihood is by Friday he'll be over four minutes down - makes those two stages winnable as Carapaz and co will let him go out the front and gain a minute or so, which he seems in good enough shape to hold on to. Do an inverse Carapaz 2019 (just without the final win, sadly).

Started the third week 2'51" down
Active in the stage after the rest day, got dropped on the final climb and lost some time
Eventually won the Giro

Started the third week 2'58" down
Active in the stage after the rest day, got dropped on the final climb and lost some time

Won't happen of course, but I do believe he's very close to a stage win.

It's not just that he's six years older, but in 2016 he was significant time behind one, possibly two riders. Here he is well behind four riders. It's conceivable he could make up the time on two of them (still unlikely), but for all four to have really bad days would be really out there, even by Giro standards.

Eventually won the Giro

2022 Eventually finished on the podium and won a stage

Eventually won the Giro

2016 had well designed high mountain stages

• Sad
Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
I don't believe much in him for today's stage. Sure, the descent from Vetriolo is juicy (especially if it rains, which it shouldn't) but then Menador would be another Santa Cristina in all likelihood. I agree that if there is a chance it should be on Friday.
If he starts Menador with a buffer he might be with the best at the top, and the run-in favors an "outsider" attacking late and staying away (which Nibali is very good at).
That's why I hope the Vetriolo descent is dry, he doesn't take risks when descents are wet.

TRENDING THREADS