• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 756 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In a fairytale ending, Contador won the penultimate stage of his last gt and finished 4th on gc.
It would be fitting if Nibali did the same.

Contador had supersonic legs in that last week, Nibali no. At the same age as Contador's Vuelta, Nibali finished second, in fact lost a GT because why not. This is not his last Grand Tour. That being said, it would be a fairytale ending to his last Giro.

Apparently in an interview for La Gazzetta he said that after the rest day he woke up with herpes and a little fever. That definitely didn't help.

Still, he says that despite thinking he could do even better (read: win that f*cking Turin stage) he's quite satisfied with how it's been going. He's probably as surprised as anyone that a fourth place on GC is actually possible for him at this point.

Not what we wanted to see but I cannot complain about his level. Last year he looked a lot worse. And even this year his preparation was riddled with health issues. Knowing that he can still compete for a good GC result gives me some hope that he can get one last big stage win in the 2nd GT of the year. Or if the Slovenian cycling gods allow it. A fairytale ending in Lombardia.

Not what we wanted to see but I cannot complain about his level. Last year he looked a lot worse. And even this year his preparation was riddled with health issues. Knowing that he can still compete for a good GC result gives me some hope that he can get one last big stage win in the 2nd GT of the year. Or if the Slovenian cycling gods allow it. A fairytale ending in Lombardia.
"Primoz I have seen your trophy cabinet so many Vuelta stages I need one more"

"Definitely a positive balance for me," Nibali said after the finish line. "To have come this far makes me more than happy and now I have to think about finishing the season"

"I maintained fourth place and I feel satisfied. You know that the approach to the Giro was difficult, on Etna it had not gone well, but then I managed to recover and this result can only make me happy."

"This climb I've always hated it never let's you breathe, because you have no references, I hate it and today I don't think I changed my mind."

"I only thought about maintaining my pace by taking it to the top and reaching the finish line. This morning when I took the stage at the start, the crowd gave me great emotions, which make everything less difficult for you. I also have to thank my team who made me come back to this race and that gave me a lot of peace of mind."

"When I had physical problems in the spring I wanted to throw everything up in the air and stop, then Martino, ( Martinelli) who knows me better than anyone, told me, "get on the bike and do what you like." This gave me the charge to start again and now I am here, I am satisfied for this Giro that for me will end with a great result"

I think it looks better when you can see the losers in the background.

6_2018858_vuelta_001_nibali_shark.jpg

TRENDING THREADS