• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 758 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's a bittersweet goodbye from the Giro. On the one hand, 4th in GC is so much better than I thought he could do three weeks ago. On the other hand, I would probably have taken 11th and a stage win over this. Day to day recovery is the most difficult thing when you get into your late 30s. There is a reason why only two riders in history have won a Grand Tour aged 36 and over. And only one was older than Nibali is now, curiously he was able to observe that feat of history from prime position. The way he rode over the last three weeks makes me optimistic that he will win a stage in Spain while not going for GC, and perhaps he can deliver one last golden autumn in Italy. He didn't win Emilia yet, that would be a nice one to take and given that guys like Visconti and de Marchi could win it with long-range attacks, it definitely seems possible. A third Lombardia would be the dream, and given that Pog and Rog will have a Tour-Vuelta double in their legs, the door might be more open this year. His strongest autumn campaigns followed a successful Giro-Vuelta double, so we can be optimistic. But for now, it remains a dream.

Grazie Lo Squalo. When I think about Nibali the first thing that comes up to my mind is not associated with cycling: he was born on exactly the same day (and year) as me. Most living cycling memory is probably his victory on snowy Tre-Cime climb. His Giro quest is over but he's not done with cycling yet!
Congrats old man!

Don't make this personal guys

He was born when I was in High School! :)

LOL I was 34 when he was born :).

Lo Squalo you will be Missed at the Giro next year. Thanks for all the thrills and chills you gave us in every Giro you rode :hearteyes:. When I need inspiration, I watch stages 19 & 20 of 2016.

I'll be watching until you hang up the bike and hope your heart and legs give us moments of Glory for the rest of the season.

Yeah, Nibali, Valverde and Gilbert will ride into the sunset, this autumn… :(

End of an era. These guys even still raced against Lance Armstrong, aka The Greatest of all time.

Nibali won the Tour de France - whatever happens in his future life, he already won the most important bike race on earth. :)
Don't underplay it. Nibali was making angry Italian hand gestures that Armstrong should be taking his turns damnit.

2886723-59442468-2560-1440.jpg

Back to planet earth:

The Shark's Bite in Valdobbiadene!
Nibali wins the Cycling Stars Criterium
ahead of Cavendish and Ciccone

Nibali attacked at -3 laps from the end, he immediately escaped and for the others there was nothing to do: at 1000 meters from the finish he still had about ten seconds of advantage that allowed him to conquer the Cycling Stars Criterium.

- as reported in Italian here

Back to planet earth:

Nibali attacked at -3 laps from the end, he immediately escaped and for the others there was nothing to do: at 1000 meters from the finish he still had about ten seconds of advantage that allowed him to conquer the Cycling Stars Criterium.

That description already made it seem more entertaining than 3 weeks of Giro.

Back to planet earth:

These criteriums are to cycling what the WWE is to professional boxing.

TRENDING THREADS