• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vinokourov and Kolobnev facing prison over 2010 Liege

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So what?

In the 1904 Tour, many riders took the train but just because that happened back in the day doesn't mean it should be accepted today.

Old videos can include even up to the last five or ten years - It's an issue of whether this should ever be considered by the judiciary - Many times particularly in stage races a GC contender and a non-GC contender work together and the Non-GC contender is gifted the stage - Who knows what arrangement is made on the road - For example in this year's Tour of Yorkshire Lawless gifted the stage to Van Avermaat.

Old videos can include even up to the last five or ten years - It's an issue of whether this should ever be considered by the judiciary - Many times particularly in stage races a GC contender and a non-GC contender work together and the Non-GC contender is gifted the stage - Who knows what arrangement is made on the road - For example in this year's Tour of Yorkshire Lawless gifted the stage to Van Avermaat.

But that's because there is a sportingly meaningful reason for each rider, and it's not at all comparable to pure blackmail. Kolobnev and Urán gained nothing but economic benefit from letting Vinokourov win.

Well if Uran really sold that Olympics he deserves even worse! And how much could cost an Olympic gold? Imagine the money he could get from the next contract as an Olympic champion, not to mention sport aspect and recognition. Even 1 million $ would be a bad deal here.

You're leaving out the intimidation factor. What are the odds you're going to beat Vino in a head to head sprint that guy attacks so randomly so the gold is far from a sure thing.

Reactions: joe_papp
Giving away a stage for help happens. Nothing new, not a crime. This? Not a crime. But as a sportsman, it's despicable.

One (Vino) knows that he has the money and that the other needs money...quid pro quo (very much in fashion these days ;) ) and the other (Kolobnev) gets the cash but shatters his dreams. How dumb was he? We're talking about a HUGE race, your name alongside of Merckx. Kolobnev is a loser. And he lost. Vino is Vino. Entertaining rider, but scum.

...I also think that the way Dillier rode the final 5km of Paris-Roubaix with Sagan last year is pretty suspicious, he pretty much did the opposite of what one would do to have even a small chance in that sprint.

Dillier literally explained this to you via Peloton Magazine so you wouldn't have to make weird speculation:

PELOTON: Yeah, you guys maintained your lead for nearly another 50 kilometers after the Arenberg Forest. But then, all of a sudden, Peter Sagan bridges up to you. What was it like to all of a sudden find yourself riding with the three-time world champion in the break?

Dillier: "Well, with Sagan, it is like riding with the Angel and the Devil. Of course I was happy that he bridged across. I knew that when Sagan is on the front, he is going to work to keep the break away. Immediately, he hit the front and started to pull through. And I can tell you that he took some long pulls. So at that point he was still an Angel. But then, you know that if you go to the finish he is going to beat you. And at that point he is the Devil. But you have to make the best of such a situation and that is why I worked with him. I knew that I had a chance to make it to Roubaix and finish on the podium. Okay, I knew that my chances to beat him in the sprint were slim, but I still had a little chance. "

Indeed. I have seen with my own eyes a letter from a very well known former UK pro turned commentator to a former lower division pro I know thanking him for not riding against him in a criterium/kermesse series in the UK, saying that his share of the primes and prize money was included. Forum member Esafosfina probably would have raced that series as well.
I've agreed to pay riders mid -[UCI]-race for their help (and followed-through, paying them). Kinda shrugging here, and feel like V & K are being persecuted.

Reactions: 42x16ss

TRENDING THREADS