• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vino's TT win

May 6, 2009
Visit site
So he won the short TT in the Tour De L'Ain, am I not alone being skeptical about his win, or should I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just seeing what other people think.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
wpsracing78 said:
To quote a great man

"you're out of the circle of trust Focker"

once a cheater, always a potential cheater.
A general question for everyone:
Is vino winning really any good for the sport? Why should we trust him now?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Obviously I can't prove it, but if I am going to have any faith so to speak in any ex-doper, then it is one who have confessed, expressed their regret, broke omarta etc. So I'm more prepared to welcome back guys like David Millar, Patrik Sinkewitz, and to a certain extent, Ivan Basso. However, guys who would not admit to anything, floyd Landis, Tyler Hamilton, Alexandre Vinokourov etc. can all GAGF.

How good were the people he beat? I imagine Horner is a pretty decent time triallist but Vino had lost time in stage 3a. Maybe he wasnt pushing quite as hard as he could have done, keeping himself fresher for the TT?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
As long as the Super-Cheat, Epo-Lance, was welcomed back by the ignorant Fanboys and the corrupt UCI (the fish stinks from the top), no one should have a problem when Vino, Basso, Rassmussen etc. come back.

Remember Epo-Lance also didnt confess anything; even worse he did real bad things against those speaking out against him. If the ba$tard is covered up, cycling "earns" ;) pipo like DiLuca, Vino, AC and Piti.

Its just my opinion. :)

A

Anonymous

oh for crying out loud, it was a low level TT in a low level race.. and vino lost nearly 4min in the morning...

not everything has a back story...

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
dimspace said:
oh for crying out loud, it was a low level TT in a low level race.. and vino lost nearly 4min in the morning...

not everything has a back story...

Vino said that he was deliberately avoiding going into the red in the morning's stage so he could have a proper crack at the ITT. However, didn't mention if he was still doping, and probably wasn't asked. :D

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So he won the short TT in the Tour De L'Ain, am I not alone being skeptical about his win, or should I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just seeing what other people think.
It's cycling. Ofcourse you should be skeptical.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Once a doper, always a doper

He'll blood dope with his own blood like he did before with Telekom, Liberty & Astana. He grew up in the Soviet sports system and raced for the Kazachstani national team as a kid. He was likely on epo way back then. You dont dope for 15+ years and suddenly decide to go clean. lol

If Vino had a clean comback attempt he'd be dropped like a rock on long climbs and he his TT times would be "slow" compared to the top 20 that is. Their all doped at the very top. Horner certainly is. You dont beat doped riders if your clean. Its impossible to beat a talented man who took a 'blood refill.'

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
He'll blood dope with his own blood like he did before with Telekom, Liberty & Astana. He grew up in the Soviet sports system and raced for the Kazachstani national team as a kid. He was likely on epo way back then. You dont dope for 15+ years and suddenly decide to go clean. lol

If Vino had a clean comback attempt he'd be dropped like a rock on long climbs and he his TT times would be "slow" compared to the top 20 that is. Their all doped at the very top. Horner certainly is. You dont beat doped riders if your clean. Its impossible to beat a talented man who took a 'blood refill.'

Why do you follow the sport if all the top guys are "doped"?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
So you like watching cheats race against each other? For me personally i find that wrong and hipocritical.
I find doping wrong, too, but I like the races. As has been pointed out before, you still need a lot of talent and training - doping appears to be one of the conditions to win, not the deciding factor.

If I wanted cycling to die out, I would stop watching. But I want it to be clean, not to stop completely. Unfortunately, I cannot make cycling clean. However, I do believe that the riders themselves can choose not to use doping, as I have repeatedly stated here. It's up to them, not me. A holier than thou attitude from me is not going to help anyone.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
So you like watching cheats race against each other? For me personally i find that wrong and hipocritical.

can i suggest you give up on cycling then, because as long as there is cycling their is always going to be a certain level of suspicion...

i really thing you follow the wrong sport.. :(

i beleive large numbers of riders are clean, and the sport is cleaner than it has been in probably 100 years, but im not stupid...

auscyclefan94 said:

So you choose to convince yourself that most of them aren't doped, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

Is that fun?

My enjoyment of the sport is diminished by the advent of generalized blood manipulation, but it's not gone. I do miss the racing of yesteryear, but I realize it's gone forever. I support most efforts to increase and improve the testing, and object to those who loudly perpetuate the lies and status quo. It's hard to let go of the sport because I've been watching it since I was a small child spending summers in Belgium--there's just a lot of history there.

Maybe if one has come more recently to the sport it's easier to let go. Convincing oneself that the majority of the top riders aren't doping is just cognitive dissonance, and I'd rather knowingly watch a lie than fool myself it's true.

A

Anonymous

BigBoat said:

Can you expand on this?

usedtobefast said:
i say give him an 'ataboy. not bad as far as comeback riders go. he did his time.:cool:

Agreed. Plus, Vino's personality is such that he transcends characterization as just another automaton-like pro cyclist taking orders via radio from the team car. While not even in the same galaxy as Lance w/ respect to his global impact, within the sport of cycling - doped or not - Vino brought (and will bring again) an attacking style that defied tactical-logic and encouraged a visceral, emotional response from his fans. Granted, his doping encouraged a visceral, emotional response of a different sort from his non-fans, but ... such is cycling.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
wasn't Vino caught for blood doping so surely he won't try that again although I always thought they didn't have a proper test for blood doping unless they caught you with the drip still connected to your arm.

Love his style so great to see someone back who will attack and shake up the races

auscyclefan94 said:

Why do you watch then?

sherer said:
wasn't Vino caught for blood doping so surely he won't try that again although I always thought they didn't have a proper test for blood doping unless they caught you with the drip still connected to your arm.

He was homologous blood doping - using someone else's blood. Like Tyler Hamilton

A

Anonymous

luckyboy said:
Why do you watch then?

He was homologous blood doping - using someone else's blood. Like Tyler Hamilton

did they ever decide whos blood

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
remember this d-bags return to the peleton

:D

http://www.grahamwatson.com/2001/paristours/image7.html

Virenque Wins Paris-Tours

Richard Virenque (Domo) has won his first postsuspension victory. Virenque sallied off the front after 12 km, forged an 18-minute lead, and held on to win Paris-Tours in 6:58:32. Two seconds later, Oscar Freire (Mapei) took the bunch sprint for second from Erik Zabel (Telekom). Erik Dekker (Rabobank) remains the World Cup leader after the 254-km race.

At 12 km, Virenque surged into a headwind. Jacky Durand (La Francaise des Jeux) joined him, and the duo went unopposed. Their lead ballooned to 18 minutes at 60 km.

The cold, windy, rainy weather spurred the bunch to ride faster. At 148 km, the lead was down to 13:00, and at 184 km, the break led the bunch by 7:00. Tacconi Sport and Ag2R led a peloton that seemed to be poised to reel in the escapees.

After 186 km, Andrea Tafi (Mapei) set out in pursuit of the fugitives, who led the field by 6:00. Serge Baguet (Lotto), Lauri Aus (Ag2R), and Robert Hunter (Lampre) joined the Italian. At 214 km, the pursuing quartet was 4:00 behind the leading duo, and the peloton was at 5:30. Telekom took over the chase.

Telekom's pursuit spelled doom for the chasing group, and it appeared to put paid to the break as well. At 244 km, only 0:50 separated Virenque and Durand from the field. Moreover, Durand's pulls were getting shorter. He was faltering.

On the Cote de l'Epan, the day's next-to-last climb, Virenque dropped Durand. At this point, only seven km remained. Behind Virenque, Erik Dekker attacked, and World Champion Romans Vainsteins (Domo), Luca Paolini (Mapei), and Jan Svorada (Lampre) caught him. When Virenque began to climb the Cote de Petit Pas d'Ane at 249 km, his lead had fallen to 0:20.

The five-time Tour de France King of the Mountains powered through Tours as the peloton pursued. With two km left, Virenque led the Telekom- and Ag2R-led bunch by 0:15. Would the bunch reel in the break?

No! With 200 m left, Virenque turned around and realized that he would win. The Frenchman made his trademark victory gesture, kissing his right index finger and raising it to the sky. The French crowd roared as their compatriot crossed the finish line.

In the World Cup, Erik Dekker leads Erik Zabel 318-250. Romans Vainsteins is third with 229 points. With only the Tour of Lombardy remaining, Dekker is the favorite to win the World Cup, although Zabel and Vainsteins can overtake him. First, however, the three must do battle at the World Championship Road Race in Lisbon, where Vainsteins will attempt to keep Zabel, Dekker, and others from taking his crown.

1tour1.jpg

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Anyone can understand anger over a little sentence for a big crime. Vino and the rest are part of a game regulated by thugs and old guys trying to hold on to their jobs through hush money and corruption at every level. Vino is back because of the rules not because he picked his own punishment. Hacks at Horner and others that have not been caught for anything is another shot over the bow from a Boat load of sh#t. Doping and it's testing are a joke played by the guys holding the rule book. You want no doping, 10 years 1st pop, lifetime for 2nd. Pack fill are shot up and never caught for 5 or 6 year careers. Who and how people are tested make lots of criminals including the testers. MLB make cycling look like Cub Scouts, the fasted growing sport is UFC those guys will learn from other feds not to ask and for sure never tell.

TRENDING THREADS