• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voeckler doping?

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Voeckler doping? If not where has his form come from? Seemingly exhausting himself in long breakaways chasing for yellow early on, expected to be dropped on the first mountain stage but surprised many with a fine and credible ride.......but today he was outright chasing down attacks from the best climbers in the sport.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's outed for doping soon.

He won't be outed. The French police will never do the Ricco-style bust to Voeckler and certainly not when the yellow, however tainted, is in sight.

I'm so gutted by this. Voeckler was one of my very favorite riders. Plucky, attacking, getting wins when he could. I thought that the steady improvements very just the sign of him maturing (Mountain stage last year, GP de Quebec). I was even willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's been owning every French race so far this season.... But chasing down Andy Schleck, Basso, attacking at 11kms up the Beille, it's just so damn sour.

I don't know for sure whether he's clean or doped to the gills. Time will tell. But I certainly can't believe this, no matter what a test will or won't say. This Tour is finished for me. I just had no joy whatsoever in watching the GC men climb up one of the most storied climbs in the Tour.

Willy_Voet said:
Stop talking nonsense. This is the Clinic and when we're discussing a rider, it's because he's a doper.

Ehm this board is to discuss doping in cycling. I understand you want to put the hammer down on every rider because you get some inner satisfaction doing that but don't dictate what we can and cannot say.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
are they even going to give him a drug test?

there is just no way he improved like that. like someone said night and day. i've always liked him, but felt sick watching him race today with his new super human skills, such that all the previous days' efforts have had no effect on him...

lilyprotector said:
are they even going to give him a drug test?

there is just no way he improved like that. like someone said night and day. i've always liked him, but felt sick watching him race today with his new super human skills, such that all the previous days' efforts have had no effect on him...
He looked fresher than AS and AC at the finish...

Moondance said:
I don't know for sure whether he's clean or doped to the gills. Time will tell. But I certainly can't believe this, no matter what a test will or won't say. This Tour is finished for me. I just had no joy whatsoever in watching the GC men climb up one of the most storied climbs in the Tour.

Yes, it's difficult to believe. Very difficult. To say the least. Sad, but that's reality. :(

May 26, 2009
Visit site
It does all look too good to be true.

'Here we go again' is the banal but most likely reality.

Or maybe a golden age of a more level playing field is upon us :rolleyes:

Still, nice to see a French guy mixing it up again. Maybe they just got sick of being trounced in their own race in a sport that clearly is not about to get clean anytime soon. I can understand that.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
killswitch said:
He looked fresher than AS and AC at the finish...

exactly. as other people have mentioned, he looked like he was going to attack. it's just too much of a change, and especially given what he's had to do to get in yellow to start with.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
What? He looked extremely happy.

Do you think? He didn't to me, on the podium sure lots of smiles but they looked forced but hey ho that's debatable and I concede I can't read minds!

However in the interview he looked outright worried - he did not look like somebody who had just ridden the stage of his life.....IMO.