• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voeckler: nine out of ten riders don't like me...

DominicDecoco said:
There's a interview with him in the latest CSM where he comes out as a bit of an arrogant tit tbh.

Fair enough. Ive always thought he came across pretty well in interviews (down to earth) but come to think of it ive only ever seen one: During his miracle spell in yellow during tdf 2011..

I think he plays to the cameras, he has very little tactical nous and he comes across as trying too hard to be a "normal guy taking on the hotshots of world cycling".

But I like watching him cycle. He was one of the few interesting stories in the Pyrennees in TdF 2011.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Some of the anecdotes he relates are flat out wierd, Boonen slapping him on the back, Cipo dictating the attack zones in the Giro.

bassplayer88 said:
Would love some solid reasons for why he is disliked. I thought the forum would generally be behind the guy, he does tend to make races exciting, is that not what people like on here? :confused:
He's cool to watch because he attacks a lot, but once he gets into an attack he's not very useful for his co-escapees... sitting on and pretending he's exhausted, and then jumping away when the breakaway is almost caught. His wins are always because he's the smartest, not the strongest. Add to that his endless lust for the camera, I can imagine he gets on his colleagues' nerves.

bassplayer88 said:
so what do you think the reason is then? (please excuse lack of knowledge)

Because he hogs the camers with his stupid grimaces and acts to skip turns in breaks.

But of course when he attacks at the end or heaven forbid wins a stage people think of him as an aggressive attacking rider winning against the odds.

theyoungest said:
He's cool to watch because he attacks a lot, but once he gets into an attack he's not very useful for his co-escapees... sitting on and pretending he's exhausted, and then jumping away when the breakaway is almost caught. His wins are always because he's the smartest, not the strongest. Add to that his endless lust for the camera, I can imagine he gets on his colleagues' nerves.

Well exaplained, thanks :)

I used to find Voeckler incredibly annoying. He got way too much attention for hanging on to the Yellow in 2004, and had no real results to justify that attention. He made faces for the camera all the time. He seemed to place himself at the head of the peloton just to get camera time. He made pointless attacks that always failed.

My opinion of him started to change in 2010, especially after his win on stage 15 at the Tour and his great win at the GP Quebec. Suddenly his "pointless" attacks were working. He seemed to have matured as a rider.

His 2011 Tour saga seemed bring back some of the unnecessary drama surrounding him, but he is nevertheless now an entertaining rider to watch.

roundabout said:
Because he hogs the camers with his stupid grimaces and acts to skip turns in breaks.

But of course when he attacks at the end or heaven forbid wins a stage people think of him as an aggressive attacking rider winning against the odds.

I’m with you. I prefer races where there is no attacking.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Camera Hog....?

I always attributed his "camera face time" to being a big FRENCH rider in FRENCH races which are being shot by FRENCH camera men for FRENCH audiences. And what about his initials, TV?

too obvious?

I've also picked up the impression that T.V. is a soloist in a team sport. He rides for himself.(full stop) His solo face time is also why he gets paid what he does and has some job security.

I personally got tired of "the face" during his first 10 day stint in yellow.

Because he doesn't follow the script. Team leaders are not supposed to get into breakaways with 100km to go. He makes other teams work hard on flat stages on stage races when they wanted a nice easy day.

Reminds me of Robert Millar relating a story of Hinault telling him to stop attacking and Millar telling him he'll attack when he wants to. Millar was also not well liked.

roundabout said:

I thought I was the only one who thought he was playing to the cameras with his over-dramatized faces of suffering.

I can see why he'd be a "controversial" figure in the peloton, but I don't see why I, as a fan, should really be all that interested in the peloton's views. I want entertainment and Voeckler, precisely because of his showboating and annoying (to his colleagues) attacks, is entertaining. Plus, the previously mentioned stuff about him being primarily responsible for saving an endangered team.

Similarly, I doubt if Hoogerland is all that popular a guy to have in a break with you. You know he's going to pull some idiotic attack at a point where the break's interests are best served by continuing to work together. But he's entertaining to watch, so really, why would I care if the other riders are happy about his presence?