• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voeckler: nine out of ten riders don't like me...

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Voeckler attacked ? As i remember he lulu and whoever else was there continued together no ?
Yeh I remember him totally killing himself in order to get the yellow jersey whilst Lulu and Casar just hitched on for the ride and then Lulu came around to get the win. He certainly wouldn't have been interested in attacking but rather just riding his way into yellow. He anyway effectively gave up that stage by killing himself for yellow

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Voeckler attacked ? As i remember he lulu and whoever else was there continued together no ?

I happened to get around to watching the Tour DVD last week and saw that stage a few days ago. It looked more like ^ than any sort of attack. He didn't stop on the side of the road granted or soft pedal but it didn't look like he upped his pace. It's an inhuman business, in the real world he should have stopped, checked on them and called 911.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I think it is more the nature of the incident than the fact that it was a crash. A touch of wheels or the like is "just bike racing", what happened with the TV car was out of the ordinary and to keep the pace up as he and his companions did was seen by many as particularly poor sportsmanship.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
I think it is more the nature of the incident than the fact that it was a crash. A touch of wheels or the like is "just bike racing", what happened with the TV car was out of the ordinary and to keep the pace up as he and his companions did was seen by many as particularly poor sportsmanship.

this perception is just bovine manure. voeckler was in the break to take the mj, they had the gap and kept riding. there was no 'attack'.

maltiv said:
I guess it doesn't help being incredibly short tempered either. His crazy rage on Alpe d'Huez was quite funny though. Taking a bottle just to throw it in the ground - come on...

that's how epic moments are made,i'll always remember voeckler shouting out at his armada of rouleurs at the top of galibier.after he just made the most suicidal move in the recent history of tour de france.voeckler=legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7j35uFxQ4g

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
¨
The Hitch said:
Exactly.
maltiv said:
I guess it doesn't help being incredibly short tempered either. His crazy rage on Alpe d'Huez was quite funny though. Taking a bottle just to throw it in the ground - come on...
He actually took the bidon off his bike and threw it on the ground. And put the one he got from the car on the bike.

And the dutch "fans" on Alpe d'Huez were pathetic. Who shows up to the race to boo the yellow jersey?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont remember the race stopping to wait for Vino to get back on his bike after he went off on a descent?

I dont remember the leaders stopping when Beloki went down in 2003?

People simply dont like Voekler and are looking for an excuse.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My only problem with him is that he overdoes the "Aren't I a character compared with the rest of these drones?" act a bit too much for my liking. Having said that, he's a pro trying to earn a few euros and doing it the best way he can with what he's got. Pretty harmless really.

Voeckler has always rubbed me the wrong way. He's an attention *****, the new Virenque but without the results to back it up (until 2010-2011; but by then, he'd been an attention ***** for some 6 years, so it's not like his upgraded palmares can change that).

goggalor said:
¨
Exactly.

He actually took the bidon off his bike and threw it on the ground. And put the one he got from the car on the bike.

And the dutch "fans" on Alpe d'Huez were pathetic. Who shows up to the race to boo the yellow jersey?

I think it isn't. Firstly people plan to be on the alpe months in advance. Secondly, Hoogerland is to the Dutch what Voeckler is to the French, exept for showing of, pulling silly faces and look for the camera every moment he isn't in a breakaway.

If Hoogerland would've done it, i'm very sure the French would've done the same, cause they basically boo everyone who is to dominant in their eyes. Look at Armstrong, the accusations weren't as heavy as they are now, and look at Contador, yes he tested positive, but he was cleared for the moment

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
I read in cyclesport a couple of months ago a whole interview with Voeckler where he related how he races and all his tactics and the truth is that the guy is an absolute genius. His techniques and tips on attacking and outgunning your opponents in close situations were amazing and it explains as well why other riders might not like him because though they deserve to win, Voeckler out manourveres them and though they had the strength they don't have the brains.
Reading his interview also really made me appreciate cycling and how it truly is a sport for the tactician in "played" right.
In short the guy is a true ambassador of cycling due to his effort, down to earthiness and his incredible tactical acumen.

do you have an online version of that ? would love to read it :)

cineteq said:
Johnny Hoogerland is one of those 9/10 riders.

That's the principal reason he's been despised lately-Some in the peloton found it hard to believe that he just kept going after the horrific incident involving Johnny & Juan Antonio- LuLu at least made the gesture to slow down, but DiDi just didn't care at all.... then he kind of praised his yellow jersey achievement at the expense of the misfortune of those two -which enrage the Dutch crowd-and nonetheless the arrogance & Ego plays a part of the disliking attitude among his fellow riders..

Kvinto said:
ohh, what a heart-rending story, no one likes Titi...

OK, i don't like him too

Hahahahaha. Love that comment. I would have said "heart-wrenching" story, but I think we are on the same page.

I found the CN story interesting, and actually read this whole thread before posting. Lots of good comments put out there. Especially the one about TV being a co-attacker who ends up just sitting on letting others do the bulk of the work while he plays the tired card, then attacks everyone at the end. That would p-i-s-s me off too if I was one of the others.

hfer07 said:
That's the principal reason he's been despised lately-Some in the peloton found it hard to believe that he just kept going after the horrific incident involving Johnny & Juan Antonio- LuLu at least made the gesture to slow down, but DiDi just didn't care at all.... then he kind of praised his yellow jersey achievement at the expense of the misfortune of those two -which enrage the Dutch crowd-and nonetheless the arrogance & Ego plays a part of the disliking attitude among his fellow riders..

He had a choice of waiting for Hoogerland and Flecha and, given that they'd just gone through a barbed wire fence, he'd have realised that he'd probably have to wait some time for them to recover (a realisation that was proven to be correct) or carry on with the other 2 and try to get the win / maillot jaune. And he had to make an assessment on that within a few seconds. Give the guy a break.

hfer07 said:

He is a cyclist, not a doctor.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So no one gotta any links to back up their stories of of how Voeckler deserves all the hate, apart from allegedly making faces to camera, which happens to be when he is in a break at the wrong time upsetting Boonen or Cippollini, while,according to some, sitting on the back sucking wheels!

Any interviews where riders have spoken out about Voeckler and his tactics, which seem similar to Hoogerlands, mad attacking, which makes racing exciting.

I don't blame TV for not stopping after the sideswipe. I do think Flecha had a good chnace of the stage up to that point, and for sure the breakaway would have been even better with the two of them included.

Heck its not like the peloton stopped for either of em either.

Tommy V is certainly a character, and he does animate races.
Both make for interesting viewing.