• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voeckler: nine out of ten riders don't like me...

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
I meant they can't "afford" wasting their chance, because they are unlikely to get into another break that day.

Voeckler rarely goes with breaks that look doomed to failure from the start.

spalco said:
I would say he's more cunning, not necessarily smarter.

Nope i would say he is smart.

I like Voeckler in general but found myself getting annoyed by his "I'm squeezing out every last ounce of strength to hang onto yellow" schtick last year. He seems like a bit of a drama queen and also like someone who's good at pandering to the French romanticization of doomed struggles (not an attitude French cycling needs right now). I will continue to applaud TV victories, but I foresee trouble should Pierre Rolland try to rally his troops around a serious TDF bid . . .

Angliru said:
Depends on how you choose to look at it. Both are reasonable possibilities.

Uhm, actually him attacking someone that lies in a ditch seems kind of unlikely. To me it looks more like he is trying to pick up the pace after nearly crashed and it isn't like the other two guys does anything else.

Or what, are we back in the sand box again, "because he started it"?

Walkman said:
Uhm, actually him attacking someone that lies in a ditch seems kind of unlikely. To me it looks more like he is trying to pick up the pace after nearly crashed and it isn't like the other two guys does anything else.

Or what, are we back in the sand box again, "because he started it"?

If recall correctly, 2 riders went down in that accident, one of them being Flecha who I would pick any day over Voeckler in a small group dash to the line.

Angliru said:
If recall correctly, 2 riders went down in that accident, one of them being Flecha who I would pick any day over Voeckler in a small group dash to the line.

Yeah, but Vockler was more interested in yellow that day in I remember correctly. Didn't he push on pretty hard all the way to the finish and then more or less let the other two fight it out?

I am not saying he acted correct, whatever that would have been in a situation like that, but it wasn't like he was the only one to ride on after Flecha and Johnny wnet down. The other two didn't stop either. So bashing only TV seems kind of unfair to me and then it seems more like people want bash him just because he is who he is.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Most breaks fail!

What can they not afford? They cant afford riders not to work. If one refuses to do the share the break is definitely doomed.

Voeckler happens to be smarter than most riders. Simple.

I think you'd find more breaks surviving if noone worked, at least for a while. I suspect exercise physiologists should spend some time making breakaway strategies.

Walkman said:
Yeah, but Vockler was more interested in yellow that day in I remember correctly. Didn't he push on pretty hard all the way to the finish and then more or less let the other two fight it out?

I am not saying he acted correct, whatever that would have been in a situation like that, but it wasn't like he was the only one to ride on after Flecha and Johnny wnet down. The other two didn't stop either. So bashing only TV seems kind of unfair to me and then it seems more like people want bash him just because he is who he is.

A riders reputation precedes him. If he carries on doing what he's always done, even in circumstances as those that we're discussing, it only enhances that history.

A visual image is a powerful thing, and maybe because the image that sticks with me immediately after the crash is TV out of the saddle seemingly accelerating away from the carnage, it has possibly skewed my perspective. I'll have to view the incident again in detail to see if that's the case.