• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voeckler: nine out of ten riders don't like me...

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I find his grimacing a bit irritating, but I can get past that.

I think he's great for cycling. It's not amateur racing either. Sure, if you were in your club race and some guy kept sucking wheels and grabbing 'undeserved' wins, you'd be pretty annoyed. But these are the big boys. He helps make the racing happen. It's not like the rest in a breakaway don't know his modus operandi. If you can't drop him, and you can't double bluff him and have the gamblers/racers instinct to bet on whether the bunch is going to catch you or not and maybe you should sit on the back of a breakaway a bit more too, then boo hoo. And anyway, it's not like this is his sole method for taking wins.

Plus as others have pointed out, he should be commended for his loyalty to his team that nearly fell apart.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You have little insight into tactics if you think Voeckler and Hoogerland are similar... Hoogerland always works, never wins. Voeckler never works, always wins.

So that's where Johnny is going wrong. ;)

Some would would say it is all about winning.

Tactics are about winning and Voeckler had a successful season last year.

I might retort that you don't understand the purpose of racing:rolleyes: but i won't :)

Benotti69 said:
So no one gotta any links to back up their stories of of how Voeckler deserves all the hate, apart from allegedly making faces to camera, which happens to be when he is in a break at the wrong time upsetting Boonen or Cippollini, while,according to some, sitting on the back sucking wheels!
Haha, "allegedly"?

To the bolded part: no, it happens when he's hanging out at the back.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Haha, "allegedly"?

To the bolded part: no, it happens when he's hanging out at the back.

Mostly see the back of the riders of those hanging out the back. But maybe we should start a 'Faces Voeckler makes in a race' thread.

If that is all people don't like about him, not much to worry them is there then.

I for one am glad that there are Voecklers and Hoogerlands, because they make racing interesting compared to the cold calculating more or less rest of the peloton. I like the mavericks and there used to be more of them. So when they do come along let's celebrate them. No one's perfect, well except allegedly the Dutch, Contador and some Texan :rollseyes:

Benotti69 said:
Mostly see the back of the riders of those hanging out the back. But maybe we should start a 'Faces Voeckler makes in a race' thread.

If that is all people don't like about him, not much to worry them is there then.
If you honestly have never noticed his grimacing, you haven't been paying attention. Simple as.

And hey, I don't hate him and I don't want him gone. I like the way he races. But it's impossible to like everybody, and Voeckler does things that make many people have a poor opinion of his personality - this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his racing. Sure, some people will dislike him because of his racing style, but I don't expect them to be a majority outside of the peloton.

virandociclista said:
He is a cyclist, not a doctor.

and nobody asked him to be one-his attitude was simply to "accelerate" rather than slow down -at least for decency- to check what happened- then he well could have resumed riding- that's the whole point.

It's kind of estrange to discuss this- since I really like him- and perhaps I didn't quite understand why he was booed in Alpe d'Huez at all- Then LuLu came up with the whole version of what took place & that's when the truth was unveiled.
I know some folks have hard time understanding that in a race crashes happen all the time & nobody waits for sh!t (unless you're A Scheck & Cancellara)-but since this particular one was out of the ordinary -it should have been prudent to react properly to it-instead of turning a blind eye and kept going like he did.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Just strikes me as selfish, win at all costs kind of guy. Much like the sprinter who takes a line and says either you get out of the way or we both crash. He says to breakaway companions either you pull me to the line or we go back to the peloton.
Hoogerland being taken out, just seemed the same. I don't think he should have waited, I don't think he attacked, just kept going. He had a stage win and yellow jersey to fight for if he stopped and waited all he had to gain was being considered a good guy. That's the thing, he doesn't care about being a good guy, and won't make too many friends with that approach.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
bassplayer88 said:
Ahh I see your point, in the unwritten gentlemans guide to the peloton one is meant to wait for riders mowed down by TV cars in any given break. Its been a standard since 1904 I believe....:rolleyes:

Flecha is not much of a fan either
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/flecha-the-driver-didnt-even-stop
Flecha was also critical of new race leader Voeckler’s attitude in the break. Asked how he felt about the French seeming to accelerate following the crash, Flecha replied: “I see that as normal behavior for Voeckler, because he’s always like that in breaks, causing trouble. Just before that, Casar, one of the others in the break, had had a go at him because Voeckler had attacked on a descent after attempting to win the mountains points instead of waiting for those of us who weren’t fighting for them. He was completely focused on the yellow jersey. We all know what he’s like, seeing him act in any other way would have surprised me.”

Froome19 said:
I read in cyclesport a couple of months ago a whole interview with Voeckler where he related how he races and all his tactics and the truth is that the guy is an absolute genius. His techniques and tips on attacking and outgunning your opponents in close situations were amazing and it explains as well why other riders might not like him because though they deserve to win, Voeckler out manourveres them and though they had the strength they don't have the brains.
Reading his interview also really made me appreciate cycling and how it truly is a sport for the tactician in "played" right.
In short the guy is a true ambassador of cycling due to his effort, down to earthiness and his incredible tactical acumen.

This is kinda what I originally hoped might be the case. Well said

hfer07 said:
That's the principal reason he's been despised lately-Some in the peloton found it hard to believe that he just kept going after the horrific incident involving Johnny & Juan Antonio- LuLu at least made the gesture to slow down, but DiDi just didn't care at all.... then he kind of praised his yellow jersey achievement at the expense of the misfortune of those two -which enrage the Dutch crowd-and nonetheless the arrogance & Ego plays a part of the disliking attitude among his fellow riders..

He did not win it at their expense. he won it in spite of them. One assumes he would have got a few more seconds if they were there to help.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
hehe weird no one remembers tommy's words about how cool without basso and ulle in le tour. by the way voeckler himself dropped on the climbs earlier than most of sprinters then

joe_papp said:
On what stages was TV's riding most heroic during the 2011 TdF? I wanna hit up cyclingtorrents.nl but don't plan to download the entire Tour.

Stages 12 seemed heroic at the time, but got even better in 14 and ends up dropping Contador in 18.

Perhaps even more impressive in the early stages of 19 though its a sad ending.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Perhaps even more impressive in the early stages of 19 though its a sad ending.

Depends if it was "sad" :p. Personally I was glad the show was over, no more acting tired, acting when a camera was present, no more being oh so surprised he hung on. I was extremely glad he finally broke, I was ****ed off when the show continued after all, started throwing bottles & whistling at his teammates like they were mere unimportant people, but who worked there *ss off for his yellow jersey..

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Thomas Degendt is an entertaining attacking rider. Voeckler is the one sucking his wheel till it's time to sprint.

Paris Nice 2011, stage 4, Whilst i agree Degendt works, Voeckler definitely wasn't slacking in that break, of course Degendt was riding for the jersey and Voeckler the stage, so they had different motivations and perhaps an agreement as Degendt kept pulling all the way to the line.