• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voeckler: nine out of ten riders don't like me...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Chapeau Voekler, nothing like upsetting the peloton.

Boohoo the peloton.

As for hogging the camera, has he got a GoPro on his handle bars and the controls to the broadcast????

He gives good TV and entertainment and fans dont like it. WTF!!

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I used to find him a tad annoying and still do (mainly because he pedals like he has square cranks and pulls stupid faces).

Having said that he has done very well in recent years and his attacking and clever riding style have one him over many who were previously sceptics. He probably wouldnt have such attacking freedom in a bigger team. I wonder what he would have done in the Tour last year had he conserved his energy in the first week?

Boonen top rider but he has a track record for intimidating lesser riders into not attacking. I think there was a stage of the Tour of Britain where he did similar to a UK rider.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I can see why he'd be a "controversial" figure in the peloton, but I don't see why I, as a fan, should really be all that interested in the peloton's views. I want entertainment and Voeckler, precisely because of his showboating and annoying (to his colleagues) attacks, is entertaining. Plus, the previously mentioned stuff about him being primarily responsible for saving an endangered team.

Similarly, I doubt if Hoogerland is all that popular a guy to have in a break with you. You know he's going to pull some idiotic attack at a point where the break's interests are best served by continuing to work together. But he's entertaining to watch, so really, why would I care if the other riders are happy about his presence?

Agreed, the peloton never likes riders who attack a lot, they are viewed as stupid and attention seekers. Jacky Durand was not exactly popular within the peloton either but liked by fans.

Somebody mentioned Millar and Hinault earlier but that was early in Millar's career when he was a young rider, he head learned the ropes well later in his career. I remember he declared Peter DeClercq as the most stupid rider in the peloton. De Clercq was another rider who liked to attack a lot and do crazy things.

What about Paul Kimmage complaining about Eduardo Chozas attacking early in the Tour mountain stages "stupid Spanish ******* who does this every years, attacks early on a tough mountain stage when everyone wants to take it easy"

Yes the peloton hates them but we as fans should really appreciate them as they makes races far more entertaining. I am not at all surprised that Voeckler is so unpopular within the peloton especially when there is an anti-French vibe at the best of times.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I read in cyclesport a couple of months ago a whole interview with Voeckler where he related how he races and all his tactics and the truth is that the guy is an absolute genius. His techniques and tips on attacking and outgunning your opponents in close situations were amazing and it explains as well why other riders might not like him because though they deserve to win, Voeckler out manourveres them and though they had the strength they don't have the brains.
Reading his interview also really made me appreciate cycling and how it truly is a sport for the tactician in "played" right.
In short the guy is a true ambassador of cycling due to his effort, down to earthiness and his incredible tactical acumen.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Always liked him.
Until July 2011.

When he immediately attack after you could see some his companions were flying through the air.
When he pushed definition of drama and overacting to a whole new level when riding in yellow. Compared to the good act that was the exhausted Kohl in the barriers, Voeckler really earned himself a Golden Raspberry Award.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Agreed, the peloton never likes riders who attack a lot, they are viewed as stupid and attention seekers. Jacky Durand was not exactly popular within the peloton either but liked by fans.

Somebody mentioned Millar and Hinault earlier but that was early in Millar's career when he was a young rider, he head learned the ropes well later in his career. I remember he declared Peter DeClercq as the most stupid rider in the peloton. De Clercq was another rider who liked to attack a lot and do crazy things.

What about Paul Kimmage complaining about Eduardo Chozas attacking early in the Tour mountain stages "stupid Spanish ******* who does this every years, attacks early on a tough mountain stage when everyone wants to take it easy"

Yes the peloton hates them but we as fans should really appreciate them as they makes races far more entertaining. I am not at all surprised that Voeckler is so unpopular within the peloton especially when there is an anti-French vibe at the best of times.

But Vino seems to be one of the most popular riders in the peloton.

I'm not sure it's so much the attacking that's the issue, it's what goes on after the attack. As mentioned up thread he has a reputation for not doing his share in breaks, except for when the camera bike is there. Whether that reputation is fair or not I'm not sure, but that's the thing with reputations.

hatcher said:

I'm not sure it's so much the attacking that's the issue, it's what goes on after the attack. As mentioned up thread he has a reputation for not doing his share in breaks, except for when the camera bike is there. Whether that reputation is fair or not I'm not sure, but that's the thing with reputations.

Probably because Vino pays them so handsomely.:D

I like Voeckler, he is great entertainment, and animates races.

Froome19 said:
I read in cyclesport a couple of months ago a whole interview with Voeckler where he related how he races and all his tactics and the truth is that the guy is an absolute genius. His techniques and tips on attacking and outgunning your opponents in close situations were amazing and it explains as well why other riders might not like him because though they deserve to win, Voeckler out manourveres them and though they had the strength they don't have the brains.
Reading his interview also really made me appreciate cycling and how it truly is a sport for the tactician in "played" right.
In short the guy is a true ambassador of cycling due to his effort, down to earthiness and his incredible tactical acumen.
And he wonders why his colleagues don't like him? Of course he knows, he probably just doesn't like to admit that most of his wins are "stolen" (i.e. achieved through the effort of others).

That's perfectly legitimate in road racing, of course, but don't expect to be popular with your colleagues whilst racing like that.

El Pistolero said:
Haha, good job Boonen.

Yeah, +1 for Boonen for me too. Voeckler is just a bad actor, who happens to be a cyclist, and because the those damn patriotic french usually have no one to support for the gc.

His attack after Hoogerland fell in the barbed wires was just aweful sportmanship. I was cursing the tour everyday he remained in yellow.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
And he wonders why his colleagues don't like him? Of course he knows, he probably just doesn't like to admit that most of his wins are "stolen" (i.e. achieved through the effort of others).

That's perfectly legitimate in road racing, of course, but don't expect to be popular with your colleagues whilst racing like that.

Same with sprinters. all of their wins are achieved through effort of others. i am a big fan of tv. he refused to give up the yellow jersey. i enjoy watching his aggressive nature

When I read this article, my first thought was he is this guy

sad-forever-alone-face-only.jpg

theyoungest said:

This. He gets in tries to get in every breakaway, and in each breakaway he gets in, he does the least work, unless he can pick up yellow.

I like the riders that attack, and help the breakaway succeed. Guy's like Hoogerland, Flecha en de Gendt always do their share of the work

hatcher said:

Ah yes, but Vino is one of the heads of state and I dont think many people would ever view Vino's attacks as pointless or attention seeking. Vino attacks to win rather than just for the sake of attacking.

I dont disagree with your point either and I also agree with others who say Voeckler's attack after the Hoogerland accident really alienated him amongst fans.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
When Voeckler said "9 of 10 don't like me", was he joking around lol or was it a sorrowfull lament sigh?

Was he smiling or frowning when he made the comment?