• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Catalunya 2013 - Stage 1: Calella → Calella (159km)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Richeypen said:
This thread is hilarious. Wiggins attacks and breaks the peleton apart leading to to him coming home in a group 30 seconds ahead of the main bunch.

People criticize him. :rolleyes:

A good move by Sky today, but it may signal that they have thought they needed some time ahead of two very tough mountain stages ahead that end on the ascent. I look for Sky to be on the offensive again tomorrow and not just control the race. I think Wiggins may have some trouble on the ultra steep sections of the stages 3 and 4, but I may be eating my words come time.

Good tactics. Heads up in the morning.

AHHHHH!! THE SKYBORG!!!

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Here they go! One somehow intentionally belittled Sky boys' descent capacities... :) In short it looks like Wiggo decided to strip the only Vincenzo's edge.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone think that Wiggins did it just for fun? He did SFA in Oman and watched T-A on TV, so he may have wanted to do something bold just because he could.

Bernie's eyesore said:
I certainly never criticised Wiggins, I thought it was a fantastic move. All I did was point out that because of the move he is 4 seconds worse off with one of his two rivals for the GC than he would have been otherwise. The Sky train will probably drop everyone in the mountains anyway and we'll be left with four Sky riders pulling nobody else along.

In theory it should become slightly easier to control the action if the scope of competition is narrowed down. Now Hesjedal, Rujano, Honer, JVDB, Pinot, Anton etc must be even more aggressive to win back time and we know how difficult that is.

So Valverde gained 4s, but a bunch of guys lost 30s or so. I think its an excellent trade off.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
In theory it should become slightly easier to control the action if the scope of competition is narrowed down. Now Hesjedal, Rujano, Honer, JVDB, Pinot, Anton etc must be even more aggressive to win back time and we know how difficult that is.

So Valverde gained 4s, but a bunch of guys lost 30s or so. I think its an excellent trade off.

Exactly. This means an attempt at a committed, dangerous break to force Sky to burn assets to the final. This could be a wild day of racing. It's clear Sky and Wiggins came to win. I hope to see a good counter attack tomorrow. Garmin have Martin in the mix and they will not contribute to a break.

Prudhomme and the Badger at the finish today:

volta_33_MMR_7350.jpg

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
If it results in time loss of his designated leader, I can understand the criticism.

Although clearly Wiggins has some good form, and in good form he's a better climber than Uran.

Dunno. Maybe he wants to make the same statement like in the Tour, when the team waited for the Froome because he got flat tired (he was unhappy about it). This way, once in for all, he is "the leader" and not Uran.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Descender said:
I for one won't criticise Wiggins or Sky today.

Very nice descending action. I likes.

This. I was looking for a marker from Wiggins, and we finally have one for the4 season. The other big boys have been trading blows, reckon Brad wanted a piece of it today. Great attack on the descent from someone who can't descend and doesn't attack, but I particularly liked the way he went to the front when the pace slackened, then tried to pursuit to the end and grab a time bonus

Which Valverde got lol

Good racing today

Dazed and Confused said:
Well, Meersman ain't a GC rider and Brambilla was sleeping together with a bunch of other "GC contenders" at the back when Sky put the pressure on.

Brambilla did a lot of work in the chase to the 2 escapees, so it had nothing to do with sleeping. So he just has no GC aspirations for this race (or the team wont let him have any).

TRENDING THREADS