• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Catalunya 2013 - Stage 6: Almacelles → Valls(179 kms)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
happytramp said:
Has anyone got the profile of that climb/descent lap they're doing tomorrow? Am I right in thinking that even after the climb there's still a few Km's left to the line? Or does it kick up again in the last few hundred meters?

I think it's 8 circuits of Montjuic of 6km each. Nearly all up and down, including a short, steep, (possibly cobbled) climb. The only flat should be the last 400 metres. Though I'm not sure if that is included in each circuit?

postmanhat said:
I think it's 8 circuits of Montjuic of 6km each. Nearly all up and down, including a short, steep, (possibly cobbled) climb. The only flat should be the last 400 metres. Though I'm not sure if that is included in each circuit?

Just got this info somewhere else. Not sure which is correct!! :confused:

Its a 2k climb, average gradient of 5.7%, with a max of 8%. The top of the climb is 3.65 Km from the finish, its pretty much all down hill from there, the last 200m or so look flat.

Well there's two, longer, 'steady' ascents of montjuic from either side, which might be the 5-8% referred to. There is also a shorter, steeper 'straight-up', which I think they are taking this year. Either way, they doing it 8 times, including a circuit of the stadium complex at the top which is fairly rolling. The only flat bit is a few hundred metres at the finish. I'm not sure if that is included in the circuits. Thinking about it, almost certainly not

Edit - actually you're right. The flat finish will probably only be 200 metres as they'll need the rest of road for the finish area

Edit, edit - If they are bypassing the finish each circuit, then it will also mean a few hundred metres of flat between the descent and ascent each time.

Kirbies commentarty on the sprint chaotic as always.

For some reason, he focused entirely on Samuel Dumoilin (who seems to be the first rider Kirby ever heard of considering he mentions him 100 times in every race), despite the fact that Sammy was 5th on the road and didnt have a chance to win anymore .

As Gerrans and Meersman fight it out for the win in the last 50 m Cartons commentary goes
"Samuel dumoilin, in the white and brown,

hes going for it,

hes almost into the barriers

oh hes not going to get it today".

By which point the race is already over.

Then
"Oh!!!

"Ohhh!!

"OHhhh, what about that"

Then 5 seconds after the sprint has finished

"it goes to Orica Greenedge on the day"

"Well 4 hours flat"

Then 10 seconds later he reads on the graphic that Gerrans won

"Simon Gerrans is your winner".

The Hitch said:

For some reason, he focused entirely on Samuel Dumoilin (who seems to be the first rider Kirby ever heard of considering he mentions him 100 times in every race), despite the fact that Sammy was 5th on the road and didnt have a chance to win anymore .

As Gerrans and Meersman fight it out for the win in the last 50 m Cartons commentary goes

Then

I mainly interpreted him as not knowing where the finish line was, though I lol'ed too. :D

The Hitch said:

Then

And when the organisers put up the top 10 graphic with Dyachenko instead of Dumoulin, Kirby didn't even notice. :eek:

Escarabajo said:
Does somebody care about creating the stage 7 thread? :(

Assuming there's no breakaway, it should be all about the last 8, 6km circuits up and down Montjuic. Have posted my slightly drunken 'thoughts' above about what the circuit entails. But I was lucky enough to live there for a bit and I think I'm remembering it rightly

Edit - ignore:)