• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana 2020, Spain, February 5 - February 9

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
today was a very short sprint...
1: Not as short as the previous sprint and body’s were all over the place then. Jakobsen started sprinting at about 225m to go today with a train and Groenewegen in his wheel.
2: You’re missing my point. The previous sprint, Groenewegen started ahead, only very nearly won and didn’t have to face the wind as long as he did today. Jakobsen didn’t die in his wheel like Groenewegen did.

Groenewegen has won sprints in the past even facing 250- 300 metres in the wind with some others great sprinters in his wheel unable to even try to come around him.
In my opinion he is not in top shape yet and he has been suffering a lot in the climbs the previous day so he was a bit weak yesterday, he also did a mistake clashing with Jakobsen wheel losing speed at the begining of the sprint.

Agree with Pablo here.

There have been some very memorable sprints where Groenewegen launched in front, in the wind, 300m from the line, and won.
TDF Champs Elysees comes to mind. But also several other sprints in the past.
The fact he 'died' is more likely because of lesser form and he simply isn't as good handling the climbs as other sprinters are, so he gets more tired

I think it was indeed a mix of different factors, not being in top shape (although i think he's already better now than he was last year at this time) and Jakobsen being in very good shape being two of them. I think it's also the form of the day that plays a role. We've seen Groenewegen be unbeatable on one day and dying in someone's wheel (although very rare) in the exact same stage race. Recovery is idd key here. Which to me especially plays a role with Groenewegen when comparing him to the other top sprinters.

I think it was indeed a mix of different factors, not being in top shape (although i think he's already better now than he was last year at this time) and Jakobsen being in very good shape being two of them. I think it's also the form of the day that plays a role. We've seen Groenewegen be unbeatable on one day and dying in someone's wheel (although very rare) in the exact same stage race. Recovery is idd key here. Which to me especially plays a role with Groenewegen when comparing him to the other top sprinters.

Why would Jakobsen be in so much better shape? Both target the Giro, it was the first race of the season for both, neither was injured recently. What exactly leads you to the conclusion that Jakobsen is in better shape and not just equal in quality or at least very close by now? He has developed pretty nicely over the past few years and should be considered one of the better sprinters in the peloton right now. Maybe not in the first tier (yet) but close. I think the fact that he has a better leadout makes it easier for him on a regular basis but if you cant deliver at the end that wont matter. Look at Hodeg who can only win "sh*tty small races" with the same leadout and loses once the competition reaches World Tour level.

Why would Jakobsen be in so much better shape? Both target the Giro, it was the first race of the season for both, neither was injured recently. What exactly leads you to the conclusion that Jakobsen is in better shape and not just equal in quality or at least very close by now? He has developed pretty nicely over the past few years and should be considered one of the better sprinters in the peloton right now. Maybe not in the first tier (yet) but close. I think the fact that he has a better leadout makes it easier for him on a regular basis but if you cant deliver at the end that wont matter. Look at Hodeg who can only win "sh*tty small races" with the same leadout and loses once the competition reaches World Tour level.
I’m making the comparison to last year. Word within the team and people around him is that he’s up for a great year. And with saying he’s in great shape doesn’t mean he can’t get even stronger or a lot stronger as the season progresses. He’ll only grow from here. I feel like this kid can become the best sprinter in the world.
Not sure what you were trying to get at..
And not that it had anything to do with this but I tend to agree on Hodeg. A good sprinter but not sure he can develop into a top tier sprinter. On the other hand he could be world class as a lead-out (and still lead a team in smaller races where the top sprinters aren’t present).

Jakobsen and Ackermann I can see following Ewan and Sam Bennett In going from tier 2 to tier 1 but given Hodeg already has an ideal sprint setup at DQS and frequently screws up his finish and positioning in small races I find it hard to see him consistently challenging to win Grand Tour bunch sprints

Jakobsen and Ackermann I can see following Ewan and Sam Bennett In going from tier 2 to tier 1 but given Hodeg already has an ideal sprint setup at DQS and frequently screws up his finish and positioning in small races I find it hard to see him consistently challenging to win Grand Tour bunch sprints
Jakobsen and especially Ackermann are already there. Honestly, there's not much at all between the top 7 guys - Ackermann, Jakobsen , Groenewegen, Viviani, Bennett, Gaviria, and Ewan.

It will be interesting to see if one of them can separate himself from the pack.

TRENDING THREADS