• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2016 (2.1, 27.07./07.08.)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Heh, had a look through the Volta palmarés and realized I'd completely forgotten about Xavi Tondò :( . Indeed I had the likes of Ribeiro, Mestre, Bernabeu and Blanco in mind - even if that's a bit unfair on Blanco as he was former Comunitat Valenciana (?) before turning into the king of the Volta. It's a race that does get a lot of past-its at international level TBH.

Also forgot about Vladimir Efimkin which I did get to see race GTs (whatever happened to him anyways? He retired a while back for no apparent reason).

Regarding the Volta being an institution, I guess it just means that it's something that is as much part of a Portuguese summer as much as our French diaspora coming back home to their ancestral villages - You could never swap it with Algarve on the calendar (as much as I'd like to see it raced in a better slot!). It's just a cultural thing that unites the oft-forgotten interior of the country in a manner that no other event does. A sort of celebration of every local culture it touches. It's not like it gets very talked about for the remainder of the year, or that people know many of the riders like in France, but the whole concept of the Volta is really ingrained in our minds somehow.

So in terms of the national cycling calendar, nothing comes close to the prestige of winning the big Volta stages or the whole shebang. Especially these days after a lot of other races seem to have died somehow. Almost too young to remember them even existing.

MikeTichondrius said:
Also forgot about Vladimir Efimkin which I did get to see race GTs (whatever happened to him anyways? He retired a while back for no apparent reason).

Efimkin was on route to a successful career, but decided to retire to look after his wife, who was seriously ill. He made a brief comeback some years later, but decided to stop altogether that season.

In fact, I think he had some success. He won atop Lagos de Covadonga on the 07 Tour of Spain and went on to finish on the Top10. He was a podium contender until he faltered on the last few days.

The following year he did a brilliant TdF, i think he made it into the Top-10 and was awarded a stage win after Riccardo Ricco's was disqualified due to his doping offence.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
So do you guys Mike Tichondrius and Libertine (or others) think that riders would prefer to win Volta a Portugal rather than Volta ao Algarve?

Re:

Kokoso said:
So do you guys Mike Tichondrius and Libertine (or others) think that riders would prefer to win Volta a Portugal rather than Volta ao Algarve?

Thing is, national teams have realistically no shot at winning Algarve, barring Torku level shenanigans, since it's used as early season training by the WT riders (go look at the last 10 years' palmarés - 2xContador, 2xTony Martin, 2xThomas, Kwiatek, Porte). Also the Volta is internally the most prestigious. Portuguese team riders at this level will always go harder for the Volta win, definitely.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

MikeTichondrius said:
Kokoso said:

Thing is, national teams have realistically no shot at winning Algarve, barring Torku level shenanigans, since it's used as early season training by the WT riders (go look at the last 10 years' palmarés - 2xContador, 2xTony Martin, 2xThomas, Kwiatek, Porte). Also the Volta is internally the most prestigious. Portuguese team riders at this level will always go harder for the Volta win, definitely.
You kind of answered and kind od avoided answer, so that it looks both ways. Basically you've said that they will go harder for Volta a Portugal because of their level and that implies if they were at better level they would prefer to go for Algarve, but on the other hand you've said that Volta a Portugal is more prestigious. Why would they go for Volta ao Algarve when Volta a Portugal is more prestigious? :confused:

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I watch Volta a Portugal from a different part of the world , from Turkey. It is an incredible tour , Portuguese riders are showing great performance. Volta should be ranked higher but what I dont understand is where are those Portuguese riders in WT level. Where are Epafel , W52 Porto , SportingTavira in other races ?

is because of this and more, that Volta will never be as big as others. The stage everyone is expecting, was designed with two clibs to the highest point, and none of the climbs will be fully shown on tv.
better see 60kms of a small remaining peloton in flat :mad: the jumping dancers, and bad singers is what we are eager to see during Volta

FilipeFD said:
is because of this and more, that Volta will never be as big as others. The stage everyone is expecting, was designed with two clibs to the highest point, and none of the climbs will be fully shown on tv.
better see 60kms of a small remaining peloton in flat :mad: the jumping dancers, and bad singers is what we are eager to see during Volta

Many other reasons too, but considering RTP run three regular-programming channels it's really inexcusable. Starting right now.

MikeTichondrius said:
Many other reasons too, but considering RTP run three regular-programming channels it's really inexcusable. Starting right now.
starting simultaneously in two of them :confused:
and now 10 minutes of chit chat. probably waiting to go live when they star descending

This is embarassing. They have the motos on the road, they have the heli in the air, they have the bloody images. They just prefer to have Martins and Chagas talking to each other at the finish line instead of going live! I'm seriously going to write a complaint to RTP.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Listening to Rui Vinhas saying that it was everything for Gustavo was painful. He reiterated it so many times that it reminded me of other unfortunate situations. It was as if he was trying to convince himself (yup) that it was the right thing to do, and not listening to his heart.

I still hope that he shows the middle finger to Gustavo, like Contador did to Lance.

About Gustavo, what a disgrace. I just saw Pinto da Costa and I'm asking myself if having FcPorto putting money in cycling is even worth it if they are keeping the old, rotten dogs (Nuno Ribeiro) and still favoring old, previously banned cyclists instead of investing in our youth.

And then I hear about Rui Sousa, see how Americo Silva is still Efapel's DS and occasional commentator on Eurosport, read about Manuel Zeferino thinking about a comeback with a new project. It all makes sense. This is A Grandíssima, after all. Let's take it for what it is/was: great entertainment.

Let's hope Rui Vinhas grow a pair and does the right thing. C'mon Rui, betray Gustavo and W52. It's your only chance of greatness! Sporting will welcome you with open arms and leadership, next year!

You tell me. Paulo Martins just got all triggered because I attacked his dear friend Américo Silva on Facebook. Needless to say his clueless hounds were quick to come to his aid. Lord, how I dislike that man - shallow, bad commentator, bully... Truly, nothing redeemable. Probably my bad for trying to start a discussion on Facebook of all places.

Anyway, allez allez whoever's in front. And Ramiro Díaz for blue.

TRENDING THREADS