• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta ao Algarve, 15-19/02 (2.HC)

Stage 1 Albufeira › Lagos (183 km)
perfil-etapa1.jpg

Stage 2 Lagoa › Alto da Fóia (189 km)
perfil-etapa2.jpg

Stage 3 Sagres › Sagres ITT (18 km)
perfil-etapa3.jpg

Stage 4 Almodôvar › Tavira (203 km)
perfil-etapa4.jpg

Stage 5 Loulé › Malhão (179 km)
perfil-etapa5.jpg

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Volta_ao_Algarve_em_Bicicleta_2017_Startlist

Katusha with a Panzer-Squad.
Cavendish v. Gaviria v. Greipel v. Démare v. Bouhanni v. Groenewegen.
Might be a really good chance for the youngsters like Bico, Mas, Herklotz, Carapaz or Guerreiro.

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Interesting to follow younger guys like Gaudu, Enric Mas, Mads Würts, Movistar youngsters and Guerreiro. I expect Daniel Martin vs. Roglic for the win but I look more forward to the sprints.

The parcours would be perfect for a Kwiatkowski in any kind of shape but it doesn't seem like he's got any at the moment. In fact it's a very lackluster field this year, but that makes the GC wide open. I'd expect Roglic, Castroviejo, Sanchez, Cummings and Tony Martin to fight it out with Moscon and Gallopin as dark horses.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
The parcours would be perfect for a Kwiatkowski in any kind of shape but it doesn't seem like he's got any at the moment. In fact it's a very lackluster field this year, but that makes the GC wide open. I'd expect Roglic, Castroviejo, Sanchez, Cummings and Tony Martin to fight it out with Moscon and Gallopin as dark horses.

If you only look at climbers maybe.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
There are also a lot of others who have a decent chance to top 5. Astana have several decent riders with a good TT in addition to Sanchez. The locals will be there or thereabouts with Antunes, Brandao and Machado if he has any form. Spilak is there if it rains, and Benoot can perform in this field. It's also a good chance for the young guns to get a good result: Mas, Guerreiro, Roson, Foliforov, Reyes, and especially Geoghegan Hart.

Actually, it's more interesting than if Contador or Porte just showed up and bossed everyone.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
Hugo Koblet said:
There are also a lot of others who have a decent chance to top 5. Astana have several decent riders with a good TT in addition to Sanchez. The locals will be there or thereabouts with Antunes, Brandao and Machado if he has any form. Spilak is there if it rains, and Benoot can perform in this field. It's also a good chance for the young guns to get a good result: Mas, Guerreiro, Roson, Foliforov, Reyes, and especially Geoghegan Hart.

Actually, it's more interesting than if Contador or Porte just showed up and bossed everyone.
Yeah for sure, I think we're in for a very good and close race.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:

Maybe you didn;t watch Valencia where Dan Martin climbed better thna most yet had no form ....or maybe you didn;t watch Catalunya last year when he beat all the field on stage 3 including Quintana , Contdor and Porte

That you could list the above and not include Dan Martin is the usual blinkered bias on here

Read this and learn mate

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dan-martin-gunning-for-overall-glory-in-hilly-volta-ao-algarve/

Squire said:
Hugo Koblet said:

I have serious doubts about Brandão. I think he won't perform. It's all about the Volta a Portugal.

Machado was hit by a car a few days ago, but I think he's fine. He has been under performing in every race for the last couple of years, I already lost my hope in him.

HelloDolly said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Maybe you didn;t watch Valencia where Dan Martin climbed better thna most yet had no form ....or maybe you didn;t watch Catalunya last year when he beat all the field on stage 3 including Quintana , Contdor and Porte

That you could list the above and not include Dan Martin is the usual blinkered bias on here

Read this and learn mate

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dan-martin-gunning-for-overall-glory-in-hilly-volta-ao-algarve/
Eeey Dolly, calm for a sec, wont you. You are always on your high horse talking about condescending behaviour. :lol:

Dan Martin is likely to win a stage, but can't TT for good. He won't be a thread in the GC.

Valv.Piti said:
HelloDolly said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Read this and learn mate

Eeey Dolly, calm for a sec, wont you. You are always on your high horse talking about condescending behaviour. :lol:

Dan Martin is likely to win a stage, but can't TT for good. He won't be a thread in the GC.

I tend to agree. He's the best climber and best puncheur in the field, but the mtf stage suits power climbers and the hilly finish isn't that long. A stage and fifth or something is my guess.

HelloDolly said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Read this and learn mate

Woah, easy tiger. Have you seen the parcours?

TRENDING THREADS