• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta ao Algarve 2016, February 17 - 21

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JRanton said:
Tony came in 18 minutes down. Illness? It seems there was a huge peloton the first time over Malhao so for Tony to get dropped he must have a problem.

Thomas only needed to mark Izagirre on final climb, who seemingly wasn't on a great day, so I imagine Thomas could have finished a bit higher up if needed. Maybe with the Pinot, Aru group. No need to worry about the Spanish outsider taking the stage win. :p

Sure, as I wrote before, he doesn't want or is not allowed to make himself so obviously better than the others. He could have won all the sprintstages too, he only didn't care because he didn't need tge bonus seconds.

Jakub said:
JRanton said:
Tony came in 18 minutes down. Illness? It seems there was a huge peloton the first time over Malhao so for Tony to get dropped he must have a problem.

Thomas only needed to mark Izagirre on final climb, who seemingly wasn't on a great day, so I imagine Thomas could have finished a bit higher up if needed. Maybe with the Pinot, Aru group. No need to worry about the Spanish outsider taking the stage win. :p

Sure, as I wrote before, he doesn't want or is not allowed to make himself so obviously better than the others. He could have won all the sprintstages too, he only didn't care because he didn't need tge bonus seconds.

Yes, I know. It wasn't very funny the first time.

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:
1. Contador
2. Aru + 20
3. Pinot st.
4. Amaro +21
5. Thomas +28

GC (by my calculations):

1. Thomas
2. Izagirre
3. Pinot/Contador
If the gaps are correct Berto should beat Pinot by bonus seconds I think. Cause there was 20s between them before today.
OK, didn't think there was bonus seconds but if that's the case, you're right :)
Yep there are, I did a preview for Algarve on another forum so I actually checked the road book :)
1. Geraint Thomas (Sky), 18h34m15s
2. Ion Izagirre (Movistar), a 19s
3. Alberto Contador (Tinkoff), a 26s
4. Thibaut Pinot (FDJ), a 32s
5. Primoz Roglic (Lotto NL-Jumbo), a 49s
6. Tony Gallopin (Lotto Soudal), a 50s
7. Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha), a 1m03s
8. Jarlinson Pantano (IAM Cycling), a 1m04s
9. Fabio Aru (Astana), a 1m25s
10. Amaro Antunes (LA Alumínios-Antarte)

JRanton said:
TMobile41 said:
Amaro Antunes = Aru :D :eek: :D

A new favourite for Jens I imagine. Rocket fuelled.
Amaro Antunes is a pure climber and fans of Portuguese cycling have been waiting for him to back up his junior performances for a while. They included the mighty Alto de São Macário in the Volta do Futuro a few years ago, about 30-40km from the line, and Amaro just took the field to pieces, but hasn't been able to replicate that to date as an elite. LA-Antarte is one of the less suspicious Portuguese teams (although I am fully aware that's a relative measure) as well.

It's quite pleasing to see a Portuguese from a domestic team getting into the top 10 of this race, as the domestic pros never seem to be on form for it despite it being one of their few opportunities (if not their only opportunity) to compete in a field of this calibre all year. Antunes is 10th overall, which matches what Edgar Pinto managed two years ago (for the same team) and what he managed in the Volta a Portugal last year. It is very interesting (and probably a matter for another part of the forum if I'm honest) that LA-Antarte tend to get swamped by the likes of W52 and Efapel in August, but are the only national team to have success at the Volta ao Algarve since Liberty Seguros Continental went under back in 2009.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Campervan man said:
rei_da_montanha said:
Thibaut Pinot: "Contador ha estado imbatible hoy".

Excuse my ignorance but say what..?
Today, contador was unbeatable

Cool thanks. Pinot has been a favourite rider of mine for a while I can see him improving as the season goes by. Alberto when in total focus may be able to win the Tour ahead of a strong Froome. Today's stage is hope of a closer July, would like to see the attack and response of Aru, Pinot et al. 20s over second and 30+ on a good few others. Big gaps for February.

Libertine Seguros said:
JRanton said:
TMobile41 said:
Amaro Antunes = Aru :D :eek: :D

A new favourite for Jens I imagine. Rocket fuelled.
Amaro Antunes is a pure climber and fans of Portuguese cycling have been waiting for him to back up his junior performances for a while. They included the mighty Alto de São Macário in the Volta do Futuro a few years ago, about 30-40km from the line, and Amaro just took the field to pieces, but hasn't been able to replicate that to date as an elite. LA-Antarte is one of the less suspicious Portuguese teams (although I am fully aware that's a relative measure) as well.

It's quite pleasing to see a Portuguese from a domestic team getting into the top 10 of this race, as the domestic pros never seem to be on form for it despite it being one of their few opportunities (if not their only opportunity) to compete in a field of this calibre all year. Antunes is 10th overall, which matches what Edgar Pinto managed two years ago (for the same team) and what he managed in the Volta a Portugal last year. It is very interesting (and probably a matter for another part of the forum if I'm honest) that LA-Antarte tend to get swamped by the likes of W52 and Efapel in August, but are the only national team to have success at the Volta ao Algarve since Liberty Seguros Continental went under back in 2009.

Quoted for truth!

He was already pretty good last year during the Volta, although he faded a bit as the race progressed. Hopefully he manages to jump to a better team next year.

Nice to see Contador on form, hopefully we will enjoy him riding at his best during his last year. Still can't believe he is retiring at the end of the year. . . . i am getting old

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Even last year, Zakarin was anonymous until April. Patience.

What you expect from Zakarin this year? I am not sure if I can believe he will good some decent result in some really good race, tour de france mountain stage is what he should aim for in my opinion

TRENDING THREADS