• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lol. I will eat crow if I am wrong on this one, but this seems delusional. I will not be surprised if Remco wins the stage and overall, but I will be stunned if he wins by "minutes."
Well, he did win by minutes in Poland and the WCC against no lesser opponents than here. Considering Jumbo doesn't look great, i don't know who would be doing the chasing to bail Roglic out. It's certainly not out of the question that he wins by a considerable gap.

Well, he did win by minutes in Poland and the WCC against no lesser opponents than here. Considering Jumbo doesn't look great, i don't know who would be doing the chasing to bail Roglic out. It's certainly not out of the question that he wins by a considerable gap.
But he has to drop Roglic first. That's the problem.

This is what Roglic' coach said prior to Tirreno. He expected Roglic to suffer on the long climb because he hadn't prepared for that yet.
OK and these guys are always totally honest and never downplay themselves before big objectives, I'm sure roglic didn't even do a more than 5 minutes effort in training before today, just to give his opponents a small chance to beat him.

Roglic was at Teide for 3 weeks in February where its a 30km climb back to the hotel, but apparently he isn't training for long climbs. ok.

Not sure Rog has enough time for Sunday.

That type of circuit is Remco's personal playground. He often wins by minutes on routes like that one.

Which is why Remco didn't need to play the stop start game. Give Rog the 4 seconds and deal with him Sunday

When remco is at his best, sure.. he can try something on that parcour. But this is not yet peak Remco either. Its also a bit different compared to other circuits he raced. Don't think he is going to do anything crazy, he is 10seconds behind, and Roglic won't move a finger away from his wheel when he attacks. (if he does)

He hasn't trained for the longer climbs yet. Let that sink in. He's already equal to Remco on these efforts, and next month he should only improve. In January it was even the question whether he would make it to the Giro in a competitive shape, now he's here already.

Of course Remco will improve as well, but if I'm Roglic I'm coming away from this week with a lot of positives.
This wasn't a long climb, this was a short climb with almost no climbing before it. Also we don't know what Remco trained in terms of effort, so all these statements are moot at best.

It was rather clear that Remco wouldn't drop Roglic today. 2 days ago Roglic had trouble following an attack, today that wasn't the case. Probably not enough fatigue buildup from the race. The idea that REmco would easily take this should be pounded in the ground by now. :x

At least now he knows.. Vuelta tactic and make sure the boni seconds are gone at the finish.

For now it seems the Catalunya is in the bag for Roglic. (unless he crashes)

Reactions: Big Doopie and Vudy
OK and these guys are always totally honest and never downplay themselves before big objectives, I'm sure roglic didn't even do a more than 5 minutes effort in training before today, just to give his opponents a small chance to beat him.

Roglic was at Teide for 3 weeks in February where its a 30km climb back to the hotel, but apparently he isn't training for long climbs. ok.
Yeah, of course he has done some longer climbs, but he hasn't trained for them specifically. That wasn't downplaying his chances, why would you, Roglic doesn't need that.

But he has to drop Roglic first. That's the problem.
If Roglic can keep up with Evenepoel (assuming he goes for it, unlike his previous statements have us believe) on this course, he will be in much better shape than people (including yourself i believe) here want us to believe. Evenepoel is naturally much more suited to that type of racing. So if he tries and can't drop Roglic then there is no doubt that Roglic is not only clearly stronger this week, but also not behind on form.

Reactions: Oldermanish
If Roglic can keep up with Evenepoel (assuming he goes for it, unlike his previous statements have us believe) on this course, he will be in much better shape than people (including yourself i believe) here want us to believe. Evenepoel is naturally much more suited to that type of racing. So if he tries and can't drop Roglic then there is no doubt that Roglic is not only clearly stronger this week, but also not behind on form.
A city circuit with short, explosive climbs... that suits Roglic perfectly. If anything, he's a little more explosive than Evenepoel so maybe he's actually better than Remco on such a course.

Or maybe even on less than top form he can match and beat Remco. Btw as demonstrated at the Vuleta last year.

He hasn't trained for the longer climbs yet. Let that sink in. He's already equal to Remco on these efforts, and next month he should only improve. In January it was even the question whether he would make it to the Giro in a competitive shape, now he's here already.

Of course Remco will improve as well, but if I'm Roglic I'm coming away from this week with a lot of positives.

His fans certainly can be happy, no doubt about that. The post I replied to strongly implied that Rog is much further down in his build up to the Giro than Remco and his other main rivals which to me looks like a heavy overstatement given he is on his way to winning second consecutive WT stage race. Rog has always been one of those who holds a very high consistent level in almost every race he does, as opposed to someone like Vingegaard who does a single superpeak for a chosen GT and is a level or two below it the rest of the year.

As such I don't expect Roglic to be that much stronger than his rivals in the Giro compared to what we are seeing now in Catalunya. The biggest unknown factor with regards to Giro is still Remcos ceiling as a GT rider and how close to it he is at this point of his career.

TRENDING THREADS