• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
did u read my post?

i said it will be different IF remco takes time in the TT.

of course, rog may do very well in those too. but going on today, i doubt very much that remco won't take time out of rog. and that will change the race completely from what we have here.
In general cycling fans are predicting that remco will gain time to roglic in the TTs. I'm not that shure.

Very entertaining viewing, JV will be watching that thinking this guy can be easily got-at. Joao Almeida and potentially Geriant Thomas if he can find form are the big winners today, they need to hope the relationship of Roglic/Evenepoel continues to deteriorate so neither will work with the other come the Giro.

UAE and Ineos should be out there in the press starting all sorts of rumours, thats what Jose would do.

GC
Clipboard.png

bryan nygaard is an absolute dumbass. said remco would never win the vuelta. has admitted not liking remco but cannt even say why.

he is the definition of a "hater".

remco tactically cannot win catalunya. all rog needs to do and should do is stick to remco's wheel. in terms of winning catalunya, i have absolutely no problem with rog doing that.

but to intimate that remco should have done nothing because it was pointless is dumbass. his only hope is to do something extraordinary. and that is what he tried to do. so it failed. but it was really the only thing to do and...damn, it was entertaining,

Interesting racing in Catalunya! Roglic has consistently been a master of the shorter stage races. For me, the big question marks regarding his chances in the Giro are:

1) Can he keep the rubber side down and not crash?

2) Did his time off the bike result in a reduced base that will impact him deep into the Giro (or for that matter, impact his time trialing)?

I think Remco is still experimenting with what works ... it is so unique seeing a rider at the top of the world tour with comparatively less bike racing experience to his peers. Managing his energy over 3 weeks will still be interesting to see, as will the different weather conditions at the Giro uniquely offers.

Looking forward to it!

Reactions: noob and JosefK
One the other reasons (aide from the R v. R stuff) for all the comments is we rarely see this situation. Because when, in any similar scenario, a rider is trailing by a small margin in a stage race, that rider will pick spots to attack the leader. BUT, when the attacker realizes his opponent is right in his/her wheel, they know the only outcome will be the leader sitting on that wheel. So they sit up and wait for another opportunity to attack. They don’t keep plowing ahead (unless they want to gain time on other riders) because they know they will end up in today’s scenario. This applies mainly to stage racing.

but to intimate that remco should have done nothing because it was pointless is dumbass. his only hope is to do something extraordinary. and that is what he tried to do. so it failed. but it was really the only thing to do and...damn, it was entertaining,

I'm not sure what you mean ..I heard no one say Remco shouldnt have attacked
And he will attack again tomorrow ...and that is great for cycling no doubt

But if your attack is not working dont get into strop mode as you begin to think unclearly and you opponent has the upper hand

Remco has fabulous power, he can fly up hills and he has a brilliant TT but he has alot to learn about racing yet he acts like he should win all the time and as we know cycling is about the head as well as the legs and the strongest doesn't always win

One the other reasons (aide from the R v. R stuff) for all the comments is we rarely see this situation. Because when, in any similar scenario, a rider is trailing by a small margin in a stage race, that rider will pick spots to attack the leader. BUT, when the attacker realizes his opponent is right in his/her wheel, they know the only outcome will be the leader sitting on that wheel. So they sit up and wait for another opportunity to attack. They don’t keep plowing ahead (unless they want to gain time on other riders) because they know they will end up in today’s scenario. This applies mainly to stage racing.

absolutely true.

however, remco actually wears a lot of riders down as they sit in his wheel. unlikely that he succeed with rog, but i think he was trying that for a bit...

also he set a real marker.

I'm not sure whjat you mean ..I heard no one say Remco shouldnt have attacked

But if your attack is not working dont get into strop mode as you begin to think unclearly and you opponent has the upper hand

Remco has fabulous power, he can fly up hills and he has a brilliant TT but he has alot to learn about racing yet he acts like he should win all the time and as we know cycling is about the head as well as the legs and the strongest doesn't always win

Not sure about the winning part but he wants to ride for the win. Just like all champions do.

In this case i think Remco preferred to battle for the stage win after he couldn't drop roglic, compared to sitting in the peleton looking at butts.

Reactions: Big Doopie
I'm not sure whjat you mean ..I heard no one say Remco shouldnt have attacked

see my other post.

i think that remco is a rare rider who has had a lot of success wearing riders off his wheel even when he is leading the whole time (merckx and hinault both did that too). i agree that doing that to rog was unlikely, but i think he was seeing what happened and then once they were on the flat, he relented.

i understand your point of view, however, I think remco does need to give himself the chance to ride someone off his wheel as he has done many times in the past, so maybe he does not sit up immediately like other riders might...

Reactions: noob
I think Remco Evenepoel races like a raging bull.

Most of the time that works for him. But... shouting at zen master Roglič isn't a valid tactic. It's funny, yes, but doesn't actually serve much purpose other than make cycling look like a WWE (world wrestling entertainment) knockoff.

Rog was always only ever going to follow his wheel today. And tomorrow. It's cycling 1.01.

All that does is show how little you know about cycling. Roglic has the jersey, Recmo wants it, well that means he's the one that has to do the work!
Lol as if I don’t understand why he doesn’t take a turn. That’s not the point. I watch cycling for entertainment. There’s a reason why people say how good it is to watch cycling in this era with the likes of Pogacar, WVA, MVDP, Pidcock and Remco. All of them would have taken turns even when they are in the lead, because they aren’t potatoes. This isn’t a GT, this is a 1 week WT stage race, everyone will forget who won this in a couple of years because it’s not important. We watch this for entertainment, and Roglic is boring