• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
First time I see 4 Belgians in the last 15-20 riders on a mountain finish, I'm really pleased!
Good to see Ciccone doing well again. A shame for Almeida's chances today, he would've been up there for the stage win.
Remco needs to learn not to ride in front for several km's to the end. I think he just wanted to test and see who could follow, but not so smart once again.

A bit dissapointed by both Rogla and Remco, I thought they would gap the others. I am not sure if it was the gradient or Rogla had to break his cadence because of the tightness of the last curve, but that cost him the win today. In any case it was not a good showing from him, I just hope he was saving himself for the efforts to come. Well done to Ciccone.

On another note, WTF was that from Sepp, what a dumb move.

Just this morning we were reading about how Evenepoel was going to ride everyone off his wheel (& even get a 30 second gap) because his strava uploads were eye meltingly amazingballs or something, or that Rogla was not ready for climbs like this yet so soon after his comeback.

I think it was a good showing by all three across the line but Rog isn't some sort of superman either. I mean Dan Martin has beaten him in a MTF sprint before (Vuelta 2020), it happens, & more importantly Rog looks like he's getting right back to his usual level. I'm super encouraged by what I saw today.

About UAE, I don't know if it is deliberate, but there really is no team. It's basically every rider for himself. At least there is no hierarchy between the big names. They have to fight it out on the road by themselves. It has been like that in many other races now. Funnily it really kind of suits Almeida's general style very well. He rides for nobody, nobody rides for him, he's just doing his thing and pace, whether a comet falls down or a fairy appears.
I think it's deliberate. Their main goal is scoring UCI points. Literally. So they will give everyone the chance. Until it turns obvious that one is much much better than the others. Like Pog.

I agree it suits Almeida riding style but I'm not sure it suits his mental health. (Or for that matter the mental health of anyone in that team).

(The quote about fairies and comets though. I'll borrow! ) :tearsofjoy::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:

Just this morning we were reading about how Evenepoel was going to ride everyone off his wheel (& even get a 30 second gap) because his strava uploads were eye meltingly amazingballs or something, or that Rogla was not ready for climbs like this yet so soon after his comeback.
Yeah, it was me who said this. I don't care about Evenepoel's Strava numbers, what I do care about is Roglic' trainer who said before Tirreno that he wasn't quite ready yet for the longer climbs. I'm just assuming in the short time span between Tirreno and now he hasn't suddenly become a whole lot better. And Evenepoel just returning from altitude should have a considerable advantage. It turns out he doesn't (so far), but to me that's quite surprising.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, it was me who said this. I don't care about Evenepoel's Strava numbers, what I do care about is Roglic' trainer who said before Tirreno that he wasn't quite ready yet for the longer climbs. I'm just assuming in the short time span between Tirreno and now he hasn't suddenly become a whole lot better. And Evenepoel just returning from altitude should have a considerable advantage. It turns out he doesn't (so far), but to me that's quite surprising.
Stop with the excuses, you nationalistic Evenepoel fanboy!

TRENDING THREADS