• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very impressed by Almeida's ride. Stranded by his team after the mechanical and fighting back for 5th.

Yes that's a super ride, at some point he looked in hopeless position. Not that he's not supposed to be hopeless in that mercenaries company. When he appeared back at the front to meet his "mates" he should give them all the "you can't kill me" look.

I don't believe that they did what they did because they thought Almeida would be better off by himself. It's still not smart to leave your leader with nothing, and for nothing, like that.

But no one said they're smart anyway, and I hope they won't change, it's fun.

Yes that's a super ride, at some point he looked in hopeless position. Not that he's not supposed to be hopeless in that mercenaries company. When he appeared back at the front to meet his "mates" he should give them all the "you can't kill me" look.

I don't believe that they did what they did because they thought Almeida would be better off by himself. It's still not smart to leave your leader with nothing, and for nothing, like that.

But no one said they're smart anyway, and I hope they won't change, it's fun.
Well, that doesn't say much about team dynamics for future GTs. If they are used to work as a team, they will do the job better. Pogi is being given a red flag.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
Soldiers from my country, are already attacking UAE social media after what happened today.
Why? You've been dissing Almida the whole time for not being a top rider, and now you are expecting Yates and Soler to drop back for this mediocre cyclist? They simply read your posts and said "oh, if that's the case then screw him".

Was he that much better beforehand?
We talking about a guy who struck fear in the heart of Pogacar in Lombardia on 9th October 2021 when no other rider in the wolrd could follow him. Not roglix, or world champion alaphilipee, Yates, remco etc.

He accidentally did a top 10 in the Giro of 2020 whilst working as a gregairo.

He was very exciting rider in Androni days, always attacking, he won Giro stages, lots of stages and won some stage races. Watch some highlights of Trentino 2019 and how he toy with Nibali and Geogeghen Hart.

Also 3rd in Romandie in 2021 ahead of a lot of strong guys. He is just not that same quality rider since his illness

He had also Less opportunity, doing 3 years at androni after struggle to get a pro contract. Then he went in quickstep and had to ride for others in 2020 but still got good results. In 2021 he was strong in spring, got a tendinitis in the Giro and abandoned. He came 2nd at Italy nationals on 2 week training behind flying Colbrelli, then fractures his vertebrae in July before he was supposed to do Vuelta. Came back and got 2nd in Lombardia.

But then after Oman 2022 his mononuclosis resurface and he is mostly anonymous since. I look for him in all races he does and it always stress me slightly.

We talking about a guy who struck fear in the heart of Pogacar in Lombardia on 9th October 2021 when no other rider in the wolrd could follow him. Not roglix, or world champion alaphilipee, Yates, remco etc.

He accidentally did a top 10 in the Giro of 2020 whilst working as a gregairo.

He was very exciting rider in Androni days, always attacking, he won Giro stages, lots of stages and won some stage races. Watch some highlights of Trentino 2019 and how he toy with Nibali and Geogeghen Hart.

Also 3rd in Romandie in 2021 ahead of a lot of strong guys. He is just not that same quality rider since his illness

He had also Less opportunity, doing 3 years at androni after struggle to get a pro contract. Then he went in quickstep and had to ride for others in 2020 but still got good results. In 2021 he was strong in spring, got a tendinitis in the Giro and abandoned. He came 2nd at Italy nationals on 2 week training behind flying Colbrelli, then fractures his vertebrae in July before he was supposed to do Vuelta. Came back and got 2nd in Lombardia.

But then after Oman 2022 his mononuclosis resurface and he is mostly anonymous since. I look for him in all races he does and it always stress me slightly.
It can take years to recover and some never fully recovers still. Post illness complications are a ***! :(

Just this morning we were reading about how Evenepoel was going to ride everyone off his wheel (& even get a 30 second gap) because his strava uploads were eye meltingly amazingballs or something, or that Rogla was not ready for climbs like this yet so soon after his comeback.

I think it was a good showing by all three across the line but Rog isn't some sort of superman either. I mean Dan Martin has beaten him in a MTF sprint before (Vuelta 2020), it happens, & more importantly Rog looks like he's getting right back to his usual level. I'm super encouraged by what I saw today.
Yeah, idk... To be honest I do not rate Remco very high on long climbs yet so that part is not shocking to me, but I did expect Rogla to be a bit better. Possibly 3 things conspire for his result today:
  1. He is not is top shape yet;
  2. He did not want to go all guns blazing, having the lead and all;
  3. He made a little mistake in the final corner.
I am still optimistic for the Giro for Rogla. Let us hope he is saving his best for the Giro and the Tour.

Chaves always spending more energy than he should, but hey, kudos to him for always attacking when in good shape. I had him for a good season last year and something happened with his fitness towards the end of the year. Here hoping they take him to the Giro show good performance again.

Bernal coming before Carapaz? Lol. That is something!

Great to see Roglic against Remco. This is really nice.

TRENDING THREADS