• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Get ready for a VAM fest tomorrow. Considering its consistent steepness, low elevation and uni-puerto stage the final climb enables superb climbing speeds.

Lets hope it wont be a nothing burger.

I doubt Roglic will attack, he loves wheelsucking to watch the butt of Remco.
Ciconne might attack if Remco is not showing anything and he thinks he can get away.
Remco might want to try sprinting again to make it 2-2, so the forum is happy.

Ciconne might attack if Remco is not showing anything and he thinks he can get away.
I think yesterday it became pretty clear that Roglič is following wheels because he's on the limit with Remco right now. Hanging on for dear life and then trying to win the sprint is not exactly a bad tactic when there are bonuses.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Looks like the same route to me, and the same as 2017. What you're showing is the climb w/o the shallow run in. Same final kms it would appear. It's being referred to as "Lo Port" on every profile I'm seeing. Anyway, same climb.
Yes, so the same as the one i posted initially.

I think that'd be awsome if that were actually his motivation.

* Primoz, tell us why didn't you work with Remco to distance the others?
- I got mesmerised by Remco's butt.

Last edited:
Any reason they don't finish at the top?
Logistics - narrow road and very little space at the summit. It isn't less workable than something like Gamoniteiro, but it would still be a pain to organise and the return for it would likely be turning the race into a 'win the main MTF, win the GC' affair whereas now, Vallter isn't much easier.

Logistics - narrow road and very little space at the summit. It isn't less workable than something like Gamoniteiro, but it would still be a pain to organise and the return for it would likely be turning the race into a 'win the main MTF, win the GC' affair whereas now, Vallter isn't much easier.
Makes sense. Still a really good climb, I wish it was in this race more often, or even in La Vuelta.

The GC is a perfect draw and Remco with the help of his team will want to tire (and maybe drop) Primoz. He will set a strong pace and keep it for some time. Even 1800+ m/h for about 25 minutes is possible but the Belgian maybe shouldn't be (and won't be) that strong 6 weeks before the Giro.

Last edited:
Tomorrow would be tailormade for Ivan Sosa.

Probably he still suffers from this violence incident months ago.

His results in 2023 were still quite mediocre, I hope tomorrow he‘ll be good.

But you never know with him, what to expect. Better not to expect too much, to not get disappointed.

Tomorrow‘s final ascent will be good, although it is short. Almost a full peloton will arrive at the bottom of this final climb, everyone quite fresh, so dozens of riders will see their chance to at least win the stage. Interesting fight for stage, fight Remco-Roglic, fight for Top-10 overall.

Nearly 9% average gradient, 1000 vertical meters, that‘s not nothing, and might become a great test for most riders there.

This could become a little bit like Fleche Wallonne, with a much longer final ascent: full peloton full of climbers arrives at bottom, and goes full-gas up the final climb. I wouldn’t dare to bet who‘ll win up there.

BTW, Castroviejo is Ineos‘ best placed man on GC, currently, in 21st spot. Thomas and Bernal way behind. That‘s surprising, probably Thomas and Bernal lack shape and Bernal might still feel aftermath of his latest injury. Get well soon!… :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wasn't Thomas planning to contend the Giro? So if this is due to form, he has a serious problem.

Yeah, but there‘s still hope. He‘s rather old school (peaking), so might improve considerably. Haven‘t seen images recently, maybe he‘ll also still lose weight…

Would love to see him in top shape in Giro. His 2022 TdF might have been stronger than the one he won (in 2018)…