• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
True, though I heartily wish someone would just create. “Remco v. Roglic” thread and move all their battle posts there so I could follow a normal race thread. Thank goodness neither of them are racing the upcoming cobbled classics.
So far this race has been nothing but Roglic vs Evenepoel. What did you want to discuss? Today's stage is nearing the end, and nobody posted anything.

Most of the battle posts are made in jest anyway.

So far this race has been nothing but Roglic vs Evenepoel. What did you want to discuss? Today's stage is nearing the end, and nobody posted anything.
Well, that’s just it, I think there’s more to this (or any race) than than the two leaders, as I imagine you probably think too. This is a nice race I’ve always liked watching, an excellent bridge between the San Remo and the cobbled classics. Even if I wake up at 5:30 or 6:00am, like I do on weekends for classics, several hrs of racing have already transpired. So I like to read the race thread to see what has happened to that point. Even if essentially nothing exciting has happened race-wise, at least I can find out that’s the case. And hear about the DNS’s or minor crashes, cow stampedes, whatever. On today’s stage, the most recent entire page of comments (are there 20 per page?) contained 1mention of what’s happening in the race (about the break). So it’s not even worth going to back through the earlier. That’s a net loss for me, but of course I can’t know if that’s true for anyone else.

Reactions: yaco and Nick2413
Love seen Egan leading the peloton again, but if a sub-60kg rider is leading the bunch down a pedelable descent then the breakaway has a good shot a the stage. Rooting for the veteran of the break, the venerable Mr. Juul-Jensen, but I wouldn't mind if the older-still De La Cruz wins at home.

Reactions: Sciatic
Well, that’s just it, I think there’s more to this (or any race) than than the two leaders, as I imagine you probably think too. This is a nice race I’ve always liked watching, an excellent bridge between the San Remo and the cobbled classics. Even if I wake up at 5:30 or 6:00am, like I do on weekends for classics, several hrs of racing have already transpired. So I like to read the race thread to see what has happened to that point. Even if essentially nothing exciting has happened race-wise, at least I can find out that’s the case. And hear about the DNS’s or minor crashes, cow stampedes, whatever. On today’s stage, the most recent entire page of comments (are there 20 per page?) contained 1mention of what’s happening in the race (about the break). So it’s not even worth going to back through the earlier. That’s a net loss for me, but of course I can’t know if that’s true for anyone else.
So basically, when nothing's happening you would like for nothing to be posted, so you immediately know nothing has been happening? Rather than people post about the two riders who are battling for GC... I can only speak for myself but that seems quite silly. If you want to know for sure, just post a message to ask what has been happening in this stage, and i'm sure somebody will respond with "nothing so far" soon enough.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
I think for Purito it comes mainly from the 2012 Giro, where he didn't attack enough when he had the legs and lost in the TT.

For Valverde I simply think it doesn't apply that much to high mountain stages anyway. Valverde more about the negative tactics in the classics.
Purito gets it because when he was close, he would wait for his sprint. Just like Valverde for GC and classics. Roglic does the same as Purito where if he’s close he sits on the wheels more to use his better sprint and TT ability. Of course all 3 have had multiple times of going solo. Calling Roglic a wheel sucker though is crazy to me when he’s using his better TT and sprint ability to his advantage. Everyone else knows this and it’s on them to put time.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
So basically, when nothing's happening you would like for nothing to be posted, so you immediately know nothing has been happening? Rather than people post about the two riders who are battling for GC... I can only speak for myself but that seems quite silly. If you want to know for sure, just post a message to ask what has been happening in this stage, and i'm sure somebody will respond with "nothing so far" soon enough.
It’s always good to know what works for someone else, Now I know what you prefer.