• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, Ciccone was a wheelsucker too, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you feel that you can't take a turn for whatever reason, you are a wheelsucker. Lampaert was also wheelsucking yesterday when they were able to breakaway with the 4 of them. He did it because Jakobsen was behind him. Roglic did it yesterday because there was no reason for him to take over as the leader and knowing he's better than the other riders that were dropped, as well as being at his limit which was clear in the sprint.

But what did you mean that Remco was wheelsucking in the first stage though?
If you think it's not a bad thing, then perhaps use a different word for it. The term 'wheelsucking' (which I absolutely hate btw) has negative connotations.

Reactions: Carols
If you think it's not a bad thing, then perhaps use a different word for it. The term 'wheelsucking' (which I absolutely hate btw) has negative connotations.
I think it is mainly used to describe a negative way of riding to begin with. I don't think the term is generally used for a rider who is unable to take over, suffering in the wheel.

I also think a lot is perception and comes down to "status" or "hierarchy". If tomorrow Evenepoel goes in the attack, and he gets Ivan Sosa with him, yet he refuses to take over and lets Sosa do all the work, it will be considered wheelsucking, and rightfully so. If the order is reversed, and Sosa doesn't come out of Evenepoel's wheel, a lot less people will see it as an issue. I see it as a form of taking responsibility. Like when you leave your kids at home and they mess up the place, but the older one points fingers at the youngest one. It doesn't look good.

So if you are ahead and Remco goes full Sky. What do you do?
This is a false premise, because Evenepoel is only 1 guy, so only one guy to overtake. Where as a Sky or Jumbo train implies multiple riders. And no matter how highly you think of Evenepoel, he is not as strong as an entire team, nor is his bike the length of 7 bikes.

Last edited:
There isn't really much else you can do when you feel someone is stronger than you. You try to hold onto their wheel as long as you can and hope you can beat him on the line. If Roglic felt he was equal or better he might have tried to counter attack but he doesn't have the legs for that. While it is annoying it is understandable. Can't expect him to take turns to then immediately get dropped.

Personally I don't see Roglic beating Evenepoel in the Giro. I think he will lose too much time on the tougher/longer climbs and also the TTs.

I think it is mainly used to describe a negative way of riding to begin with. I don't think the term is generally used for a rider who is unable to take over, suffering in the wheel.

I also think a lot is perception and comes down to "status" or "hierarchy". If tomorrow Evenepoel goes in the attack, and he gets Ivan Sosa with him, yet he refuses to take over and lets Sosa do all the work, it will be considered wheelsucking, and rightfully so. If the order is reversed, and Sosa doesn't come out of Evenepoel's wheel, a lot less people will see it as an issue.
Yes, that's why I replied to Berniece specifically, who seemed to use the term for what is just common sense cycling tactics. And I just have a big problem with the word in general, I think. It sounds childish and I would never use it myself. But that's probably just me being weird.

Reactions: Carols and noob
Personally I don't see Roglic beating Evenepoel in the Giro. I think he will lose too much time on the tougher/longer climbs and also the TTs.
I think in terms of longer climbs Roglic is already way ahead of schedule. He hasn't really trained on these longer efforts yet. So the fact that he's already this close, without really preparing for it, is actually a good sign. A few more weeks on Teide and he'll be ready to go. What could be a problem is his lack of a proper winter, maybe he lacks the base endurance to keep a good level for 3 weeks.

Yes, that's why I replied to Berniece specifically, who seemed to use the term for what is just common sense cycling tactics. And I just have a big problem with the word in general, I think. It sounds childish and I would never use it myself. But that's probably just me being weird.
I think the term is justified when the riding is extremely negative. When it is one rider, capable of contributing and with at least equal chances as it stands, not doing so with the sole purpose of further taking advantage of the work of another to further increase his chances and deplete those of the other, willing to risk both losing their advantage. Since we're discussing people in Evenepoel's wheel, i consider Colbrelli during the 2021 ECC a wheelsucker. He was already the fastest guy of the two, he was going to win that sprint with a near certain probability anyway. On the other hand, Masnada in 2019 during Adriatica Ionica hanging in Evenepoel's wheel for many kilometers, i do not consider wheelsucking, since Masnada had been in the break and was the last man standing from the early break when Evenepoel caught up with him.

On stage 3 Remco and his team went full Sky.
Nobody asked Roglic to take pulls when Serry was pulling the peloton. I also didn't say Roglic was wheelsucking yesterday. I believe he was at his limit. I did say Roglic was wheelsucking during the Vuelta in the stage towards Sierra Nevada. But that was because he was wheelsucking.

I think for Purito it comes mainly from the 2012 Giro, where he didn't attack enough when he had the legs and lost in the TT.

For Valverde I simply think it doesn't apply that much to high mountain stages anyway. Valverde more about the negative tactics in the classics.

I still do not understand why Purito rode the Stelvio the way he did. He knew he was at a disadvantage in the TT. He needed to go from 7 or 8 from the finish.

He showed how good he was in the 2013 tour, dropping Froome in the Alps by going 6-8 km from the finish

I didn't watch a lot of 2020 Tour but that sounds like a similar story. Or did Pog just wheelsuck?
I think there's a big difference in what the common sense thinking was at that time based on the available information.

Rodriguez was expected to lose the Giro in the ITT. Roglic was expected to take even more time on Pogacar.

Also for Roglic the 'missed opportunity' to attack was a 30km solo including taking risks in the descent.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
I think in terms of longer climbs Roglic is already way ahead of schedule. He hasn't really trained on these longer efforts yet. So the fact that he's already this close, without really preparing for it, is actually a good sign. A few more weeks on Teide and he'll be ready to go. What could be a problem is his lack of a proper winter, maybe he lacks the base endurance to keep a good level for 3 weeks.

I can't really imagine he hasn't already trained extensively on base endurance training but regardless I don't think it will matter. Evenepoel also has another altitude training scheduled before the Giro and still has to do some "fine-tuning" (losing a bit more weight etc.) . I have the impression Evenepoel has made some more progress at climbing compared to last year and I'm not convinced Roglic has what it takes to match him on tougher/long efforts and TTs, not even if he is at "100 %".

Reactions: gregrowlerson