• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 15: La Robla > Lagos de Covadonga (186,5 kms)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
rzombie1988 said:
I don't know why Contador doesn't try attacking earlier, like with atleast 10km left. This last 5KM stuff just isn't working, especially with an uphill sprinter like JRod.
as of now he clearly lacks the legs, Jrod is more explosive and just as good endurance wise.

instead, saxo / AC made it a recuperation battle. we'll see tomorrow, but I doubt it will do anything.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Purito is super strong. Contador is in fact getting stronger, I just don't know if it will be enough at this point.

As many wrote before, the climb wasn't ideal. I think tomorrow will be much better, I mean, I just can't see that Purito can go like this every time. He have to crack at some point.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Alberto was attacking so much to try to tire out Purito for the the stage tomorrow which has more climbing before the final climb. Plus the last climb tomorrow is longer and more sustained....more suits Alberto? But Purito is so friggin' strong......

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Publicus said:
I actually don't see it that way at all. JRod is working, Contador looked like he was toying today. Tomorrow's climb is long right? Almost 20 km?

I mean it's like purito knows what to do against Contador. And each time Contador gaps him I just feel purito is getting him back.

Tomorrow is insanely hard. Last climb is 20 km yes.

Publicus said:
Purito is super strong. Contador is in fact getting stronger, I just don't know if it will be enough at this point.

It does look like AC is getting stronger, I just don't see JR getting weaker. I think AC & Co. know what they are up against now and maybe try to strategize but just not a way to answer a guy you can't drop. CF seems humble in interview. Much more decent guy than Wiggins.

Miburo said:
I mean it's like purito knows what to do against Contador. And each time Contador gaps him I just feel purito is getting him back.

Tomorrow is insanely hard. Last climb is 20 km yes.

I think that's right he knows what to do, but at some point, possibly tomorrow, a chi-nk in the armor could appear. Contador rode away from easy enough. I didn't think it was a stage where any differences would appear (steepness, downhill before finale); I think this was all about tomorrow.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
ggusta said:
It does look like AC is getting stronger, I just don't see JR getting weaker. I think AC & Co. know what they are up against now and maybe try to strategize but just not a way to answer a guy you can't drop. CF seems humble in interview. Much more decent guy than Wiggins.

The thing is he IS able to drop Purito, it's just that he is getting back. That's why Saxo tried that weird tactic today sending everyone up, they hoped to sustain the gap once Contador attacked but it didn't work.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
WOW.... great battle!!!. Bertie, bertie, bertie.... ck, ck, ck.. he is really something, isn't he?.. *shaken my head amazed* TDF.. pay attention!! Hats off to Purito.. he hung tough throughout. Valverde.. great ride to distance Froome. Podium seems to be more and more a sure thing for him. Interestingly, Saxo changed the tactic. Everyone let the break away succeeded, no bonus point to contest. All fair and square! Great ride by 3 podium contenders.

Froomey, better watch out for Gesink :D

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
hasn't Riis figured out that to beat Purito they need strong steedy pace for a prolonged time, while this continue stop and go is ideal for him?

TRENDING THREADS