• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 15: La Robla > Lagos de Covadonga (186,5 kms)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing though how much purito improve in GT's.

He was never even close to that level, he used to drop when Wiggins pulled the pace last year

I don't know, it's clinic-material anyways.

Miburo said:

He was never even close to that level, he used to drop when Wiggins pulled the pace last year

cycling is cycling, so yes, that means i am agreeing with you and very sadly, it is clinic material. never gonna change.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Giro 2011 then.

Before Giro 2011 his best was Vuelta 2010. 2nd and 3rd in punchy finishes at Malaga and Valdepeñas. Cracks in Pal. Wins Peña Cabarga. Takes time on all other contenders in Cotobello. Svcks at the flat ITT. And gets third at Bola del Mundo at 20 seconds of Eze and Nibali when he was out of contention.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:

You mean Wiggins dropping Purito everytime he pulled the pace? Yeah, must agree with you.

Odd indeed but I remember when he cracked last year, then I think he just gave up...you can't discount what happens "in the head" especially after being a "helper" for years...now are there any precedents...only one comes to mind and it's not one wants to be talking about outside the clinic.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
sartoris said:
You mean Wiggins dropping Purito everytime he pulled the pace? Yeah, must agree with you.

Nah, that wasn't clinic material. Jrod was just terribly inconsistent last year and was dropped by pretty much everyone. It's not like Wiggins was in super shape at the Vuelta last year.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:
You've been waiting all your life for...Machado to briefly join a large breakaway, get caught out by a split and being swamped up by the peloton before the TV coverage even started?

I certainly hope you have more to your life than that! :p

he will keep trying and if he doesn't have bad luck it's easy to win

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Nah, that wasn't clinic material. Jrod was just terribly inconsistent last year and was dropped by pretty much everyone. It's not like Wiggins was in super shape at the Vuelta last year.

He's not only way more consistent but he's also way WAY better.

I've never seen him follow Contador, he tried a few times like on the angliru but he then blew up hard. Ok Contador isn't 100 % but still.

And do you remember the stage of the giro that Tiralongo won? Purito had a cold when Contador passed him, it was unbelievable.

And that was one of purito's best stages in the giro.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
this is super suspicious how can he improve so much on suitained efforts and still be as explosive as before?
i don't buy it

Miburo said:
He's not only way more consistent but he's also way WAY better.

I've never seen him follow Contador, he tried a few times like on the angliru but he then blew up hard. Ok Contador isn't 100 % but still.

And do you remember the stage of the giro that Tiralongo won? Purito had a cold when Contador passed him, it was unbelievable.

And that was one of purito's best stages in the giro.

He was domestiquing for Valverde there though, yes he stayed with Contador longer than Valverde, but his job at that race was a helper and he had already done a bunch of work in other stages for Valverde so had less left in the tank than Contador would. Not saying he would have stayed with him or anything, but it should be born in mind that Purito wasn't a team leader until 2010.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Really? All I know is they hired Merijn Zeeman from Argos. And Delahaye is being promoted to a role where he actually doesn't do much anymore :p

Atleast next year Rabo will succeed at winning bunchsprints with Zeeman as trainer.
Gesink, Mollema and Ten Dam pulling the bunch in the last 10km and then sprinters train....

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Contador looks a bit hungry. Did he fuel correctly? He should watch his protein intake, when you don't get enough protein your recovery from hard efforts will suffer.
Contador should ask his Spanish friends for some dietary advice.

TRENDING THREADS