Vuelta 2012, Stage 15: La Robla > Lagos de Covadonga (186,5 kms)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Everybody remember Pal in 2010? That's how to do it. Mosquera has all the contenders in his wheel, but he doesn't care, he just rides them all away.

Then he blows up and Antón comes past him to take the win, but let's ignore that bit.
Exactly. Also, he attacked before the tough bit at la Bola too, because even if it wasn't ideal, he had to.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
0
0
One thing is for sure, without Contador this vuelta wouldn't be so exciting at all.

How many times did he already attack? 20 times? Prob even more, gotta love it.
 
Mar 11, 2010
111
0
0
DominicDecoco said:
How does attacking in the wrong places (is he even?..) have anything to do with a race being boring?
Alberto tries to do whatever he can, and sometimes he fails. Given that he has won all three grand tours, he obviously does a lot of things right.

In my post, I was commenting on how negative people can be when one of Alberto's attempts falls short. The Tour de France is boring because everybody rides so defensively. Alberto livens things up, yet it seems to be unappreciated by the same people who claim the Tour de France is boring.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
trevim said:
Didn't feel as good...? And attacked multiple times, how sick is this guy? :D
if that's a sign of him not feeling good... FOR GODSHAKE.. what happens if he IS feeling good!..... *mayheam…mayheam...*:D
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Everybody remember Pal in 2010? That's how to do it. Mosquera has all the contenders in his wheel, but he doesn't care, he just rides them all away.

Then he blows up and Antón comes past him to take the win, but let's ignore that bit.
But I don't think Alberto can do it. Because of his own and Purito's form. Well he can blow up maybe :eek:
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Everybody remember Pal in 2010? That's how to do it. Mosquera has all the contenders in his wheel, but he doesn't care, he just rides them all away.

Then he blows up and Antón comes past him to take the win, but let's ignore that bit.
Purito has learned the lesson from that day and has changed the way he races. I've heard him several times this Vuelta talking about how he used to react to attacks in the past and how he does know, with explicit reference to that Andorra stage. As long as he has the legs, he's going to hang on and use his brain as he did last week in la Gallina with the attacks of Valverde, Froome and Contador.
 
Jun 4, 2011
405
0
0
peacefultribe said:
Alberto tries to do whatever he can, and sometimes he fails. Given that he has won all three grand tours, he obviously does a lot of things right.

In my post, I was commenting on how negative people can be when one of Alberto's attempts falls short. The Tour de France is boring because everybody rides so defensively. Alberto livens things up, yet it seems to be unappreciated by the same people who claim the Tour de France is boring.
but a high tempo from the start of the climb is IMHO much funnier than a series of attack and stop.
And by the way mountain stages were not boring in the tour, they were just fewer than necessary.
 
Oct 1, 2010
78
0
0
Peccio89 said:
but a high tempo from the start of the climb is IMHO much funnier than a series of attack and stop.
And by the way mountain stages were not boring in the tour, they were just fewer than necessary.
However, the giro stages where LIQ set a high tempo from the start were slightly less boring than watching paint dry.
 
airstream said:
Anyone got what Saxo tried to provoke?
Exactly what Movistar DID provoke. Having a guy who can ride for you that you can jump across to. The idea looked like setting it up so Alberto could attack, and then ride across to Navarro, who could ride for him for a bit, then hand over to Jesús. Just as how Quintana being up the road meant that Valverde could ride up to him then use him as a pacer.
 
Miburo said:
One thing is for sure, without Contador this vuelta wouldn't be so exciting at all.

How many times did he already attack? 20 times? Prob even more, gotta love it.
He will go down as a true warrior. A real captain with panache as his sidekick.

The one in red is simply a wheelsucker without remorse. I am tired of that mans face.
 
Well that was a cracking finish!!! Saxo tried to use different tactics; didn't work...but they got rid of Moreno. They need a Quintana on their team, wow he was Awesome!

Alberto will never stop trying, simply amazing. Maybe he didn't feel that good, but he had a fluidity in his style that shows he is getting stronger. Never once looked in difficulty as he has every other day. Hope he feels good tomorrow :)

Purito is the Man right now, day after day he looks So Strong!!! His confidence has to be Soaring!!! This race may be his first GT win and he will have earned it big time!

How anyone could think seeing the top 3 trade punches for 5km is boring is beyond me. Compared to le Tour and Giro this is an awesome race :)

And tomorrow there will be more, I can hardly wait :D
 
Jun 4, 2011
405
0
0
LouieLouie said:
However, the giro stages where LIQ set a high tempo from the start were slightly less boring than watching paint dry.
Awfully that pace wasn't that high at all, but still we saw on average more minutes of action than in this Vuelta, and i'm counting out the Stelvio stage cause that would be unfair.
 
Sep 8, 2009
15,305
0
0
excellent win by piedra.remembered me a lot of rolland with his style and breathing up his nose only.classy win

i think we all can agree that this was more than those 10 minutes youtubish finals of la vuelta.
loved it how saxo entered near the santuario in USPS mode.sadly,they stopped after,which wasn't the smartest thing to do.it's more likely to drop purito like that than with those 10 seconds surges. anyway chapeau to saxo for trying

quintana along purito,i think was the strongest rider of the day.he will be important tomorrow too

freaking purito "chicken rasmussen" was impressive.alberto is already to a very high level,maybe 2007 tour-like but purito is just in the form of his live,he never was that strong.

overall the ascent to the lagos was great to watch no doubt.
 
Apr 18, 2010
240
0
0
DominicDecoco said:
What did Froome say?
not the exact words, but pretty close to the exchange in a post-race interview -


tv interviewer: "can you still see yourself in red?"

froome: (while wiping forehead, bemused smile on his face): "i think maybe may face is red"


froome sure didn't appear to be dejected after today's result. he did not offer any excuses. he did not, at any time during this interview, overtly concede defeat - he did say "i will do the best i can do."

seems to me he has both shoes firmly clipped into reality.
 
Sep 8, 2009
15,305
0
0
Peccio89 said:
Awfully that pace wasn't that high at all, but still we saw on average more minutes of action than in this Vuelta, and i'm counting out the Stelvio stage cause that would be unfair.
giro 2012 and action can't be related
one of the most boring grand tours ever.

overall,vuelta is my favourite until now but in terms of stages,toussuire,luchon, and peyragudes were better than any stage in this vuelta.
 
etymology said:
not the exact words, but pretty close to the exchange in a post-race interview -


tv interviewer: "can you still see yourself in red?"

froome: (while wiping forehead, bemused smile on his face): "i think maybe may face is red"


froome sure didn't appear to be dejected after today's result. he did not offer any excuses. he did not, at any time during this interview, overtly concede defeat - he did say "i will do the best i can do."

seems to me he has both shoes firmly clipped into reality.

no the interviewer said - your face is red, and he said - well i dont have the red jersey but my face is red.
 
Jul 10, 2009
918
0
0
Jelantik said:
I think you might be right. Alberto did drop purito, but purito still gets back to him (reminding me the battle between andy and alberto 2010 TDF). Maybe this could be a warm-up for tomorrow's stage, by did it through out the climb to wear purito down? Keep testing purito's mantle for tomorrow's stage perhaps.

If tomorrow purito is still standing like today, wuf.. i think vuelta win will be more more a sure thing..
Unless I am mistaken, after the race Purito looked mentally tired. Responding to those attacks can wear you out. Tomorrow will be decisive. if AC has good sensations, Purito will crack and crack bad. Valvede may prepare for 2nd place.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
0
0
jilbiker said:
Unless I am mistaken, after the race Purito looked mentally tired. Responding to those attacks can wear you out. Tomorrow will be decisive. if AC has good sensations, Purito will crack and crack bad. Valvede may prepare for 2nd place.
valverde is to crack earlier than purito. no doubt
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY