• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 17: Santander > Fuente Dé (187 km)

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Does this move look similar to when AndyS attacked from 55km at the 2011 TDF? Interesting that Cadel pulled himself together at the end and reduced the damage to less than 2 mins and then there was a TT. Now there is no TT but it ain't over, till its over. I hope AC is listening to Joe D'Maggio, obviously JRod has no clue about that phrase.....chuckle

Miburo said:
not at the end of the climb, purito couldn't close the gape even with his 4 teammates and then not alone on that climb. Says enough.

Purito crumbled...mentally and physically. Poor Purito; not like we haven't seen it before though :( Still love him though. Alberto's body blows for 2+ weeks finally paid off.

get-pic.php

get-pic.php

Look at that, no reaction from Purito. Totally a tactical decision.

When Valverde and him went, they went over the top some 15-20 seconds behind AC. They weren't blown away. After the initial burst, which they decided not to follow for some reason, they barely lost any time.

The gap was made in the false flat and the downhill, thanks to Paulinho, and while Purito was isolated or only had Losada (from the break) with him.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Look at that, no reaction from Purito. Totally a tactical decision.

When Valverde and him went, they went over the top some 15-20 seconds behind AC. They weren't blown away. After the initial burst, which they decided not to follow for some reason, they barely lost any time.

The gap was made in the false flat and the downhill, thanks to Paulinho, and while Purito was isolated or only had Losada (from the break) with him.

Contador also only had one guy. And valverde rode away from Purito who didn't do that much work therefore. It's just obvious purito didn't have it today.

I think if he really had the legs he would follow Contador directly but he wanted to keep his team together but that failed and then he failed.

The Hitch said:
Yeah, was going to say its a shot at Armstrong.

Not hardly. It's a very common Spanish phrase that simply translates into "with a pair of balls." Meaning valor, strength, courage and so forth. Usually used for men's exploits but also applied to women's extraordinary feats.

I can assure you that Lance was the furthest thing from his mind when he said it.

Along the same lines, must say, Purito was all class in that interview. Good on him. But obviously the day (year?) belongs to Alberto.

What a ride!

SiAp1984 said:
What a pity for Rodriguez: Clearly the strongest climber in the race, and then losing it on a stage like today...

Disagree. He was the strongest sprinter at the end, but had nothing on Alberto on the climbs themselves. In fact, can you think of one climb where Purito led the pack? Nope. Because it didn't happen.

That said, no taking any credit away from him for riding to his strengths. Just isn't enough to beat a Living Legend.

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, in all seriousness, how many of you did not expect something like this to happen?! There were too many indications, and I'm surprised that some of the riders didn't see it.

1) Alberto has made Rodriguez and his entire team work hard for two weeks. Nobody expected him to survive the TT, and at times, it was clear that Alberto had him on the ropes. It was pure grit that he has been able to do what he has done. All of that effort was clealy taking a toll.

2) It is the start of the third week. How many times has Alberto faded in a grand tour? Rarely, if ever. How many times has Rodriguez faded?

3) Today's profile was perfect for Alberto and Saxo. I even joked on Sunday that Wednesday was the second TT of the Vuelta.

It was all there, including the jovial manner of the Saxo team on the rest day. Did you see the clip? They all looked great, dancing away on their pedals. According to the poll, at least a few of you saw this. I think that we didn't want to jinx it, or maybe risk looking foolish for predicting it. I just don't understand how the peloton didn't see this coming. They kind of let him go, and then it was too late.

peacefultribe said:
I just don't understand how the peloton didn't see this coming. They kind of let him go, and then it was too late.
They didn't see it coming that earlier in the race, that's all. Your last sentence tells the tale. It took to long for Rodriguez to make a decision, plus didn't commit and try to risk on the descent. Not to mention that his main 'gregario' Moreno was cooked.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
ruamruam said:
Contador could easily have taken more than a minute more out of Valverde during the earlier stages if he felt he was a threat. How many times did Contador sit up when he couldn't drop Rodriguez letting Valverde get back? If Valverde was his main threat he would have kept going and put time into Valverde on numerous stages.

Exactly. A race is dynamic, you change one thing and everything changes.

cineteq said:
They didn't see it coming that earlier in the race, that's all. Your last sentence tells the tale. It took to long for Rodriguez to make a decision, plus didn't commit and try to risk on the descent. Not to mention that his main 'gregario' Moreno was cooked.

So 'cooked' that he still managed to finish with the other GC guys, maintaining his 5th place on GC. Another strange thing is when you look at the size of the peloton when Contador launched his attack, it's huge! They were crawling along at the time so surely Rodriguez with his explosive kick could have at least initially responded to AC's attack. The climb was only 5km after all and presumably even less than that distance was left to the top when AC attacked.

And how could Katusha not have seen an attack coming?! Saxo Bank sent THREE guys up the road. Mollema said himself that he was expecting an AC attack so why wasn't the race leader and his team?

If Vino had been involved in this episode people would be accusing him of buying the race win!

PS, I'm not suggesting any foul play but it's an incredible tactical error by Rodriguez.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
peacefultribe said:
Ok, in all seriousness, how many of you did not expect something like this to happen?! There were too many indications, and I'm surprised that some of the riders didn't see it.

1) Alberto has made Rodriguez and his entire team work hard for two weeks. Nobody expected him to survive the TT, and at times, it was clear that Alberto had him on the ropes. It was pure grit that he has been able to do what he has done. All of that effort was clealy taking a toll.

2) It is the start of the third week. How many times has Alberto faded in a grand tour? Rarely, if ever. How many times has Rodriguez faded?

3) Today's profile was perfect for Alberto and Saxo. I even joked on Sunday that Wednesday was the second TT of the Vuelta.

It was all there, including the jovial manner of the Saxo team on the rest day. Did you see the clip? They all looked great, dancing away on their pedals. According to the poll, at least a few of you saw this. I think that we didn't want to jinx it, or maybe risk looking foolish for predicting it. I just don't understand how the peloton didn't see this coming. They kind of let him go, and then it was too late.
Interesting point, because it was such that it was a manageable time trial distance plus with all the teammates up the road going full bore, he was getting paced where he could rest a bit and just stay on the wheels once he got to hill which was not steep he could go into time trial mode plus giving that much time to him on a mountain is not a smart thing to do plus he is daredevil down hill, very underrated, Katusha made the mistake of not shutting it down at the beginning, they gave him space. But as you saw on the stage preseding Etna in Giro 2011, Contador will take time were he can get it

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
peacefultribe said:

The only telling at least for Purito when on his interview purito said something in like.. only Alberto comes to me right after the mountain stage and said "tomorrow purito, tomorrow. I will bring you some more." Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the link to the article. It was after stage 15 or something. Sorry. So I'm paraphrasing it. The only problem is Purito translated to "it's going to be in mountain stages.

hrotha said:
Purito said not following AC immediately was a tactical decision. A very stupid tactical decision.
A bit like Bernard in 1987 who told his teammates there was no rush to bridge after his puncture, we know how that worked. Wonder if Purito could have stayed with Bertie all day...he couldn't stay with Valverde after all.

Anyway, what a stage! Unfortunately I couldn't catch it live but watched reruns. Looks like everyone is really tired but Bertie took his chances and it panned out. Not sure if Valverde should be completely counted out, he certainly was impressive yesterday and Bertie must be rather tired after that raid.

Not sure about Tiralongo being used as an extra gregario, I know their history but still...

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
A bit like Bernard in 1987 who told his teammates there was no rush to bridge after his puncture, we know how that worked. Wonder if Purito could have stayed with Bertie all day...he couldn't stay with Valverde after all.

Anyway, what a stage! Unfortunately I couldn't catch it live but watched reruns. Looks like everyone is really tired but Bertie took his chances and it panned out. Not sure if Valverde should be completely counted out, he certainly was impressive yesterday and Bertie must be rather tired after that raid.

Not sure about Tiralongo being used as an extra gregario, I know their history but still...

Contador give him his first pro victory at 34 and he repay with a GT;)

I know, but still it makes me a bit uneasy so imagine a casual viewer ? In some sports if you help another team you're out, I wonder if the UCI wasn't asked to investigate something like that a few years ago. At the end of the day it's not very different from Vino (allegedly) buying LBL from Kolobnev. I think we can all agree that it would have been best if it hadn't happened...

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
I know, but still it makes me a bit uneasy so imagine a casual viewer ? In some sports if you help another team you're out, I wonder if the UCI wasn't asked to investigate something like that a few years ago. At the end of the day it's not very different from Vino (allegedly) buying LBL from Kolobnev. I think we can all agree that it would have been best if it hadn't happened...

Colaborate with a countryman or a friend always existed in a stage race. LBL is a one day race where coming second it's worthless.

Devenys helped Andy and Pineau the same with Voeckler against Contador last TdF. And I remember Iglinsky pacing Contador. That's racing and your diplomatic skills

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Purito dropped the ball not in yesterdays stage but in the rest day. While AC and his gang were out spinning, Purito was tucked up in bed.

Ok he let AC go and that was a fairly huge mistake, but if his form had held he would have been able to chase and limit his losses, or even bridge to Valv and work together. He had nothing, it was painful to watch. AC was solo, if Purito was there or thereabouts he would have been able to do something, anything.

I really feel for Joaquim, he was robbed of the Giro at the death and its happened again here. I hope he can hold onto at least a couple of his other jerseys.

Contador, chapeau. I said on here that i didn't think his form would be that great at this Vuelta and possibly beyond but I totally stand corrected, unbelieveable ride from a phenomenal rider.

TRENDING THREADS