• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 20: La Faisanera Golf-Bola del Mundo (170,7 km)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
This plus a million times.

Purito was the strongest. He was also an idiot. He should never win a GT.

He probably just wasted his best year...he could've won 2 GTs in the same year, he got away with a 2nd and a 3rd place.

From a certain point of view, I sincerely feel bad for him, but he really used no tactics and had no guts when he probably could change something, both in the Giro and in this Vuelta.

That's sad, yet with all his attacks Contador deserved it, much more than say Wiggins or Hesjedal.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
A13p7XvCcAEWq1k.jpg:large

The cyclists of Team Argos can ask for modifications of their bike on this sheet of paper for the team mechanics to work on....

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
For Ten Dam, Bola del Mundo was harder than Negru because the road surface on Bola is so bad

Cuitu Negru is harder even taking into accout the road surface but some people think La Bola is harder because it took place at the very end of Vuelta.

Without the brutal Asturian stages we'll never have watched the epicness of the 17th stage of Fuente De.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ok, where would you recommend purito to take a bigger risk in the Vuelta? the man still was learning himself as an elite climber in the giro, obviously without knowing his ceiling. at last, he wasn't too much disappointed to finish the 2nd. and you dare criticise him for not having such a margin of safety as contador has or fear of self-dropping with an excessive attack?

DenisMenchov said:
The only one, besides himself, he should blame is Moreno. He was supposed to be a domestique, not someone who should fight with Froome. He was never there when he was needed in both Giro and Vuelta.

lolque.jpg

moreno was there almost everytime.

he only failed on stage 17 and on cuito negro. and it just happens that on fuente de he was absolutely needed otherwise no1 would have noticed.

airstream said:
ok, where would you recommend purito to take a bigger risk in the Vuelta? the man still was learning himself as an elite climber in the giro, obviously without knowing his ceiling. at last, he wasn't too much disappointed to finish the 2nd. and you dare criticise him for not having such a margin of safety as contador has or fear of self-dropping with an excessive attack?

by stage 19 of the giro he should know better then to suck my man domenico's wheel until 500m to the line while hesjedal rode into the sunset.

he fully deserved losing the giro for riding like that.

and at this years vuelta once he saw contador couldn't gap(mostly on the asturian stages) him he should have tried and gap him himself because he didn't knew what could happen.

instead he was content to gain an hand full of seconds on each stage thinking that would be enough, which was extremely stupid knowing him whom he was riding against.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Contador may not have been the strongest on this stage, but over the course of the tour he was just as strong as Purito. Contador attacked numerous times throughout the race. For the most part Rodriguez's "attacks" was him sprinting away to get the bonus seconds at the end of stages. And the only times when he dropped Contador in a real attack was when he attacked with Gilbert and today. All the other times he was just sprinting away at the end of the stage, and Contador would never be able to match Purito in a uphill sprint anyways. Overall Contador was just as strong as Rodriguez throughout the tour. And he definitely was smarter and more courageous, which made the difference between Contador winning and Rodriguez winning.

This !!

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
He probably just wasted his best year...he could've won 2 GTs in the same year, he got away with a 2nd and a 3rd place.

From a certain point of view, I sincerely feel bad for him, but he really used no tactics and had no guts when he probably could change something, both in the Giro and in this Vuelta.

That's sad, yet with all his attacks Contador deserved it, much more than say Wiggins or Hesjedal.

Purito would have won the Giro if he was any braver. Shame really, but if he can achieve this form next year, who's to say he won't win a GT?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
by stage 19 of the giro he should know better then to suck my man domenico's wheel until 500m to the line while hesjedal rode into the sunset.

he fully deserved losing the giro for riding like that.

and at this years vuelta once he saw contador couldn't gap(mostly on the asturian stages) him he should have tried and gap him himself because he didn't knew what could happen.

instead he was content to gain an hand full of seconds on each stage thinking that would be enough, which was extremely stupid knowing him whom he was riding against.

using such criteria, any rider can be accused of anything, including say voeckler being accused of not winning the 2011 tour.

alright, what could rodriguez do on pampeago, if he was just a bit weaker than ryder? he wasn't able to attack, it's pretty obvious. or you think differently?

purito has no proper attacking experience, excluding piani resinelli 3k raid. he was competing against a priori the strongest climber in the race and often to catch contador was really really hard for him (besides cuitu negru i think). but anyways you'd offer him attack contador, without feeling necessary strength? it's really stupid and just retroactive thinking based on what we've watched today which is not represéntative for the whole race. «if i can predict future, i’ll live in vegas». sadly, purito can't do that, unlike his critics.

DenisMenchov said:
Yes but what about the Giro, he was never there. And here he failed in the crucial stage.

Moreno - job not done.

the giro and the vuelta was purito for the taking, if he needed some1 babysitting him 100% of the way to do it then he wouldn't be the deserving winner.

much like evans had to get his hands dirty in 2011 when he found himself alone with schleck 5 minutes up the road and contador and samu too cooked to be able to cooperate.

airstream said:
using such criteria, any rider can be accused of anything, including say voeckler being accused of not winning the 2011 tour.

alright, what could rodriguez do on pampeago, if he just a bit weaker than ryder? he wasn't able to attack, it's pretty obvious. or you think differently?

purito has no proper attacking experience, excluding piani resinelli 3k raid. he was competing against a priori the strongest climber in the race and often to catch contador was really really hard for him (besides cuitu negru i think). but anyways you'd offer him attack contador, without feeling necessary strength? it's really stupid and just retroactive thinking based on what we've watched today which is not represéntative for the whole race. «if i can predict future, i’ll live in vegas». sadly, purito can't do that, unlike his critics.

what experience had hesjedal attacking at the front end of a GT prior to the giro this year? i daresay purito has much more experience riding GT's then hesjedal.

Parrulo said:
the giro and the vuelta was purito for the taking, if he needed some1 babysitting him 100% of the way to do it then he wouldn't be the deserving winner.
Paulinho and Tiralongo babysited Bertie (established the gap on stage 17) and won the overall for Contador. Mano o mano Bertie put 25 sec on Purito - the gap before the stage was 28 seconds. Does this fact make Bertie not a deserving winner? Plus Saxo was the strongest team in the race.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
what experience had hesjedal attacking at the front end of a GT prior to the giro this year? i daresay purito has much more experience riding GT's then hesjedal.

in other words you just don't acknowledge hesjedal can be a better climber in a separate race?

TRENDING THREADS