• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 20: La Faisanera Golf-Bola del Mundo (170,7 km)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Danilot said:
What did you expect him to say, "Contador was weaker than me in this Vuelta, so he needed Paulinho, Hernández and Tiralongo to win the race for him"?

There's something called "diplomacy". You must be very naive if you think riders always mean exactly what they say.

Wow....what are trying to prove with this? Sorry your rider lost

Danilot said:
What did you expect him to say, "Contador was weaker than me in this Vuelta, so he needed Paulinho, Hernández and Tiralongo to win the race for him"?

There's something called "diplomacy". You must be very naive if you think riders always mean exactly what they say.

Of course he had teammates to help him + Tirangolo. Purito had Moreno as super domestique and Valvere had Inxausti and Quintana. Of course Contador had his weaknesses but so did the others. All in all Contador won the Vuelta for being the most consistent :)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Let's see:

1.- Purito beat Contador in Eibar.
2.- Purito put time into Contador in Jaca.
3.- Purito beat Contador in Andorra.
4.- Purito put time into Contador in Barcelona.
5.- Contador only managed to put 0'59" into Purito in a 40*km time trial.
6.- Purito put time into Contador in Mirador de Ézaro.
7.- Purito put time into Contador in Ancares.
8.- Purito put time into Contador on the Cuitu Negru.
9.- Purito put time into Contador on Bola del Mundo.
10.- On his own, Contador only managed to put 40" into Purito in the Fuente Dé stage, the rest of the gap having been created by his Saxo teammates and Tiralongo.

The above are all cold, hard facts. If you can look at the above and still think Contador was stronger than Rodríguez, I've got bad news for you: you're deluded.

And this is my final post on this thread. No point in wasting my time trying to persuade people who want to believe Contador was the strongest, regardless of what reality is.

Danilot said:
Let's see:

10.- On his own, Contador only managed to put 40" into Purito in the Fuente Dé stage, the rest of the gap having been created by his Saxo teammates and Tiralongo.

The above are all cold, hard facts. If you can look at the above and still think Contador was stronger than Rodríguez, I've got bad news for you: you're deluded.

And this is my final post on this thread. No point in wasting my time trying to persuade people who want to believe Contador was the strongest, regardless of what reality is.
Yes, overall he was the strongest, but who cares? On the day (Fuente Dé) he needed to be the strongest he wasn't. :(

PS: Great summary btw.

Danilot said:
Let's see:

I see this is very important to you, thank you very much for your contribution to the topic ;)

Danilot said:
Let's see:

Your summary is just full of bias. With actual time and bonus seconds, AC and Jrod were tied essentially after the time trial. And Contador put a full 2'38" plus 12" bonification into JRod on Fuente De. Not this mythical 40" of nonsense you are talking. That's where JRod lost the race. Full stop. He was the strongest rider, but only managed to finish 3rd. Those are cold, hard facts.

El Pistolero said:
As if Jrod didn't benefit from teammates and other cyclists at Fuente Dé. :rolleyes:
What do you mean? That was precisely what he lacked that day: a team or friends.

hrotha said:
When you're arguably the strongest in two GTs in the same year and still manage to go back home empty-handed, that should give you some food for thought.
He already said he was completely depressed, for a month, after the Giro. Losing to Contador should't be that bad.

Danilot said:
Let's see:

In the 2004 Giro
1 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 1 into Alba
2 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 2 into Civitella in Val di Chiana
3Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 4 into Valmontone
4 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 6 into Policoro
5Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 9 into Carovigno
6 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 10 into Ascoli Piceno
7 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 12 into Treviso
8 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 14 into Pula
9 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 15 into San Vendemiano
10 Allessandro Petacchi put time into Cunego on Stage 20 into Milan

How on earth did Ale Jet manage to finish 2 and a half hours down on The Prince?:eek:

Purito says:
He said it was only right that Contador had won. “There’s no doubt he was the best. We have to congratulate him for the whole three weeks. He tried [to get the lead] every day and he pushed me to the limit. Then at Fuente Dé [stage 17] we couldn’t follow him. He deserves the win.”

The day which marked a turning point for Rodríguez was, he told AS, “the time trial [stage 11], but it was a good moment. When you’ve had such a miserable time as I have had in previous time trials, you brace yourself to lose the jersey and just in doing a respectable time.”

“But in the end I kept the lead and it was almost like a victory. I lost it in Fuente Dé, but you can’t do anything when somebody’s stronger than you, there’s no point in getting worked up about it.”

So there you have it...it's over 3 weeks and even Purito admits who was stronger....

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Danilot said:
Let's see:

let's see:
vuelta final general classification:

1. contador
2. valverde at 1'16
3. rodriguez at 1'37

this above is the coldest, hardest facts ever.
if you think that cycling is run one on one and consider that on fuentede' stage purito did not fell, did not punctured and was not attacked while he stopped for ****ing, i' ve got bad news for you: you are not watching the right sport and you are not able to understand the exact nature of GT racing. it is not boxing, it is cycling ,you are going to be deluded in the future too. it is raced on roads, not in a ring and there are 180 riders involved.
this is my final post , no point in wasting time with somebody who is not able to read the general classification.

if you want to say that purito in this vuelta was stronger than contador in climbing, I completely agree with you and i will support you.
but contador was overall stronger and smarter and he got the GC. he was able to manage in a better way his bad days and purito was not brave enough to attack contador before the last 750mt of every mountain stage before bola del mundo. he just proved that he is stronger than the madrileno in uphill sprint with strong gradient, at least in this vuelta.

anyway pantani was stronger in climbing than armstrong, but unfortunately the texan got 7 tours and marco one ( i am not interested in clinic related theories here)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Danilot said:
Let's see:

The only reason Purito finished ahead of Contador on all those stages is because Purito is arguably the best uphill sprinter in the peloton. Contador knows that in a sprint he had no chance against Purito. But if you look back at all the stages Contador was the one doing the most attacking of all the GC contenders.

Plus Purito says: "If I think the strongest won the GC? Yes I do, classifications never lie."
It seems Purito thinks Contador was the strongest ;).

Publicus said:
Your summary is just full of bias. With actual time and bonus seconds, AC and Jrod were tied essentially after the time trial. And Contador put a full 2'38" plus 12" bonification into JRod on Fuente De. Not this mythical 40" of nonsense you are talking. That's where JRod lost the race. Full stop. He was the strongest rider, but only managed to finish 3rd. Those are cold, hard facts.

+1, well said.

TRENDING THREADS