• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 10 Caravaca to Alhama 164,8 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

search said:
dacooley said:
AC to launch a blistering attack on the final climb and take back about 30 seconds.
well, he did that in 2011 and won the stage (although not taking that much time, and on poor competition) - so he'll come with good memories at least. The descent was shorter back then though.
That was Vuelta a Murcia? As I remember that descent was much shorter indeed, but I believe he did keep the very small margin he had at the top all the way to the finish, I didn't know it was the same climb as today though, that's nice :) he finished a few seconds ahead of Menchov, and the day after he won the final TT. Good memories also for me :)

bambino said:
Forever The Best said:
I realized I was a bit harsh to Bot. Sky_Bot.
But I think people are just having fun by writing 'AC will win this bike race'. So no need to write 'AC will not win this bike race' just to mock people.
I mean, if Froome fans would have wrote 'CF will win this bike race' in every stage of the last race of CF I wouldn't have written sth like 'CF will not win this bike race'. So no need to mock and try to bait people imo.

As for the stage: Nibali-Contador alliance would be great but I fear Zaka can lose important time in that scenario.

I think he was having equal fun of saying he won't win the race. I do not see the difference, Berto fans thinks the first one is fun (other fans might not) and vice versa. End of story, I think we can move on.
For what it's worth, "Alberto Contador Velasco will win this bike race" joke was started by jens_attacks, probably the most impartial poster on the forums. He only dislikes Viviani. So it's not a Contador fan inside joke.
As for the difference between the two, 1 is cheering for, other cheering against, the former is generally accepted and encouraged as it adds character, the latter could be considered a bit mean-spirited. That's all :)

dacooley said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Alberto Contador will not win this bike race.
What's your problem? :confused:

Me? No problem at all.
I really don't like Contador but I can't say I hate him.
And "he DOES deserve the honor of having Chris next to him on the podium".
I hope Berto will never again win professional bike race but my psyche is free of hate.
Yes. No hate. Totally. Just hope he never wins something again. Weren't you saying just a few days ago you thought it would be nice if the peloton gifted him the win on the final stage? I guess that doesn't count as a win, Berto would agree.

He deserves the honor of having Froome next to him on the podium*
It's sooo predictable... yawn
By the way Berto is an endearing nickname so...

* as long as Froome is on the top step
ah, Flo, stop. you dislike Froome not because he's riding for Sky and extremely predictable in his racing style. It's mostly about Froome being the biggest AC challenger ever and him preventing Bertie from having cloudless grand tour prospects, as it really was in 2012. no need to conflate these two things.

Speaking about a possible stage win, froome isn't going to make any gifts so long as it's in his power, the same like Contador wasn't considering gifting froome ancares or farapona stages a few years ago. The biggest chance to take a stage win for Bertie is Chaves and Froome marking each other really hard and letting him ride away.

Yup, even in the 2013 Tour when Contador was in terrible shape he started the final stage in 2nd place. I've always wondered how that Tour would have played out if Sky wasn't there. I think Contador may have won

LaFlorecita said:
search said:
dacooley said:
AC to launch a blistering attack on the final climb and take back about 30 seconds.
well, he did that in 2011 and won the stage (although not taking that much time, and on poor competition) - so he'll come with good memories at least. The descent was shorter back then though.
That was Vuelta a Murcia? As I remember that descent was much shorter indeed, but I believe he did keep the very small margin he had at the top all the way to the finish, I didn't know it was the same climb as today though, that's nice :) he finished a few seconds ahead of Menchov, and the day after he won the final TT. Good memories also for me :)

yeah, they didn't do the first part of the climb (today's Category 3), but the final 7k were the same, and also the major part of the descent - just that it finished after ~10k already back then

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm a fan of Contador, not only because I'm Spanish but because of the way he rides is in a classic way. Trying to attack as soon as posible, not a "wheel sucker". Giving a spectacle and not speculating until the last climb. When Alberto is retired, we are going to miss him.

But I have to say, I like Froome. He is a really good cyclist and also a really good person.

11:00:18 GMT
More on the weather situation today from our reporter on the ground, Alasdair Fotheringham. The rain is falling quite heavily at the start and there is even more on the main climb of the day the Collado Bermejo, which could make the descent very tricky. It is the first time in months that it has rained here, which could also mean more than the usual amount of punctures.
I'm starting to get nervous about this stage...

axl

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
I've developed a good mental "AC-Froome stuff not to read" filter for this thread...

For this stage, this should go for the breakaway. Or Bardet could make ag2r ride to go and win in the descent, but that would be a big gamble.
I expect Rohan Dennis could like this climb and go in the breakaway, someone with me ?
Concerning GC stuff, there will be tentatives in the end of the climb and the descent, but, except if someone falls, no one will lose more that few seconds.

Saying that AC "will not win this bike race" is just quaint way of admiring him. Even better than saying that he actually WILL win.
No one is coming here to say Domen Novak or Marc Soler "will not win..." because it would not make sense
It make sense only with AC who is always considered as a threat.
It's form of appreciation definitely.

Re:

axl said:
I've developed a good mental "AC-Froome stuff not to read" filter for this thread...

For this stage, this should go for the breakaway. Or Bardet could make ag2r ride to go and win in the descent, but that would be a big gamble.
I expect Rohan Dennis could like this climb and go in the breakaway, someone with me ?
Concerning GC stuff, there will be tentatives in the end of the climb and the descent, but, except if someone falls, no one will lose more that few seconds.

I'm with you on Rohan Dennis. He must surely come to life soon here. Will have little trouble getting in the break and on the long climb, but not quite sure how his descending and sprinting is?

Orbit501 said:
axl said:

I'm with you on Rohan Dennis. He must surely come to life soon here. Will have little trouble getting in the break and on the long climb, but not quite sure how his descending and sprinting is?

His sprinting is pretty decent compared to most climbers. He won an uphill Sprint in Trentino this year.
Regarding descending I am less optimistic, although I can't think of an example right now but he crashes quite often and struggles with positioning which surely gives you a hint.

Sestriere said:
Orbit501 said:
axl said:

His sprinting is pretty decent compared to most climbers. He won an uphill Sprint in Trentino this year.
Regarding descending I am less optimistic, although I can't think of an example right now but he crashes quite often and struggles with positioning which surely gives you a hint.

Thanks. Perhaps look to get a gap over the top of the climb then if he makes the break today. Obviously all much easier said than done.

With this weather the stage will probably be decided on the descent now. Alaphilippe should be going all out to get in the break at this rate. Maybe even Bardet will choose this as one of his stage hunting days now.

Edit: Looks like Dennis is indeed trying to go in the break today :) Been brought back so far though.

bambino said:
LaFlorecita said:
Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Alberto Contador will not win this bike race.
What's your problem? :confused:
Did he really just write contador will not win? Shocking! What an insult :rolleyes:
Yes, that was my point :rolleyes:
I don't think it's necessary to mock Contador fans like that, it's his last race so this new poster won't have to be bothered by posts saying "Alberto Contador will win this bike race" ever again in two weeks time. Let the fans have their fun while it's still possible. It just seems rather petty IMO especially coming from a self-professed "big Sky fan".

Hold on... so Berto fans can say he will win each stage, but Froome fans can't say he won't win. Just because it is his last race?

Please do not make the Stage threads another "how I love Berto" threads, there is already one. And the race has around 180 other riders.

Exactly this. Completely ridiculous that people can say AC will win, but not that AC will not win.

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Lorrenzo Manzin will win this bike race!
Arnaud Courteille (FDJ) told lavuelta.com he was once again a candidate for a breakaway today: “We're gonna try to break away again. It's true that we don't have a leader win head to head with the strongest so the goal is to go on the early moves. Except for Lorrenzo Manzin and Daniel Hoelgaard, who are more focused on sprint days, everyone else in the team wants to go. Today, there's a hard final climb followed by a very technical descent. If it rains, will the leaders take any chance? Team Sky won't control the race every day so I think the breakaway can make it to the finish.”

Re:

starlord said:
I love how Vuelta marks this stage as "flat" :) Re Dennis: is there a race he did not crash at this year? I hope he'll avoid that, but maan, I'm always nervous watching him, TJ or LRP in action
The Vuelta site says it is flat which is where cycling news get it from. It may start flat but the Bermejo at the end completely nullifies that description.

TRENDING THREADS