• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 4: Escaldes-Engordany/Tarragona 198.2km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
axl said:
I got a question about tomorrow stage. The last climb (Ermita Sta. Lucía. Alcossebre) is noted "3.4 kilometre-long climb at 4.2%". But it's 310m high on 3,4km, so if i'm not mistaken it's almost 10% ! Is the official vuelta site wrong ?

http://www.cyclingstage.com/vuelta-2017-route/stage-5-spain-route-2017/
At 3.4 kilometres, the hill is averaging 9.7%. At almost 15%, the first part is steepest, while the final 1,600 metres go up at 5%.
Last 5 km
stage-5-1km.png

Edit - just found this which is either wrong, old or correct! Whole climb to the top.

SANTA%2BLUC%25C3%258DA%2BALCOSSEBRE.png
If the last profile is true, now that's much harder than advertised...some nasty kicks. I bet that Valv.Piti is crying now ;) . Balaphilippe for the win!!!

MADRAZO said:
yaco said:
Krokro said:
yaco said:
Krokro said:
Such a poor bike handling. Not worse than Bouhanni but still. Shame because he is a rather good rider.

Trentin textbook win as expected. Wondering if Cort Nielsen is on a Sunday ride since the beginning?
Plus, not sure if Ag2r leadout was awfully timed or if Pozzo was badly positionned but the result is pathetic for them.

You need to understand that Neil Stephens is an old school DS - Everything is for the GC riders - You'll find from around stage 10 when the GC pecking order is established, then Cort will be given the opportunity to sprint - It was the same in the 2016 Vuelta.

Okay, did not know it was probably on purpose. I sincerely hope so as the kid has so much potential. Plus on a rather weak field, we could see him flying when he enters the arena.

I personally think if you bring Cort let him go for the sprints if the GC riders are safe with 3km to go.

It is a really stupid priority by Orica to not let Cort sprint, but he has indeed clear orders only to help Adam Yates, and has been seen in front around the 10 km mark both sprintstages. So its not even the guy that has a podiumchance, Chaves, they are wasting him on.. Last year the first time Cort won he also did so despite not being allowed too, but with 3 captains this year and a very stubborn Niel Stephens it will likely be impossible for him to sprint until the last stage unless the captains should all loose their GC-chances before. In danish TV interviews Cort has even told the reporters asking him on his chances to put pressure on Stephens to let him sprint, so he wants to but is just not allowed, and Stephens was very clear that he would not be allowed when they then asked him...
So stupid. With this poor sprint field, he'd definitely have a shot at a stage win.

Vesica said:
Breh said:
TMP402 said:
Trentin becomes the 101st rider to win a stage in all three GTs.
Is there anyone else still in contention bar De Gendt?

Quick Step with some solid results at the start of a GT. Again.
Stage1: 2nd
Stage2: 1st and 2nd, green and red
Stage3: 2nd
Stage4: 1st, green

Stupid Dutch journalists from NOS mentioning Trentin as the 100th rider to win a stage in all GT's...completely missing Nibali's win from yesterday.

Well - it could well be that actually Nibali was already part of the previous 99 in the official papers. He did come to the line 2nd in Stage 20 in 2010 Vuelta, behind Mosquera. And we all know Mosquera's Vuelta 2010 has been stripped out of papers. Even Wikipedia (which is of course always right :D ) lists that stage win in Nibali's palmares.

tweak37 said:
Vesica said:
Breh said:
TMP402 said:
Trentin becomes the 101st rider to win a stage in all three GTs.
Is there anyone else still in contention bar De Gendt?

Quick Step with some solid results at the start of a GT. Again.
Stage1: 2nd
Stage2: 1st and 2nd, green and red
Stage3: 2nd
Stage4: 1st, green

Stupid Dutch journalists from NOS mentioning Trentin as the 100th rider to win a stage in all GT's...completely missing Nibali's win from yesterday.

So is there actually a list somewhere of these 99 riders before the Vuelta or where is this number coming from? The lists I can find are at most 90 riders long (Wikipedia).

Perhaps wikipedia doesn't count voided results or TTT's?

@DeGendtThomas ;)