• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 6 :Villareal to Sagunto 204.4 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

deValtos said:
Jagartrott said:
Exactly. No risk. Control.

It's always been his strategy. Froome not wearing leaders jersey = random Froome attacks. If in leaders jersey, control and wait for TT. Usually he's not in the leaders jersey at the vuelta though. But yea it would've not been a smart move to ride against a group of 15 with 40km still to go for probably no time gain.

Exactly there were no big gaps over the top of the final climb and 40km is far too far for 4 riders to hold off what was probably 20 chasing, simply a complete waste of energy with no likely return.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Climbing said:
Is tomorrow last climb before the quick descent another murito?

No, Alto del Castillo is a more gentle hill with an average of almost 7%. One steep pitch of 10%.

But the most interesting thing about the climb is that it's first part is ridden on cobbles, and the riders will go under the Arco de Bezudo and are riding through the old castle of Cuenca, build by the Mores. Stunning scenery.

In 2005 for example they rode the same final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4M01D1uhDk

Re:

shalgo said:
TJVG will be pleased to have lost only 17 seconds after all that happened to him, although he must have used a lot more energy in the final 40 km than most of the top riders.

I'll be impressed if he dodges a penalty for what must have been some impressive drafting given he was a minute back at one point after the first crash, then crashed again (seemingly off the back after something else given the cars) and still came in only 17s down on a sizeable group of leaders

Eclipse said:
shalgo said:
TJVG will be pleased to have lost only 17 seconds after all that happened to him, although he must have used a lot more energy in the final 40 km than most of the top riders.

I'll be impressed if he dodges a penalty for what must have been some impressive drafting given he was a minute back at one point after the first crash, then crashed again (seemingly off the back after something else given the cars) and still came in only 17s down on a sizeable group of leaders

I would agree it seemed to take him an age to get back on his bike after the 2nd crash near the finish and yet he managed to close down a hard chasing group solo before the finish.

Eclipse said:
shalgo said:

Probably not, cause I guess that jury car had something to do with that crash as well.

Eclipse said:
shalgo said:

Yes I noticed that ...and stopped when TV came on him....obviously DS had it on in the car

As people have said, this importance of this stage will be the resulting fatigue. Contador is down on GC and so is using a high-risk strategy in order to have a small chance of a large gain. Froome can just control. If the race continues like this, there will be guys dropping like flies in the last week.

There was much rejoicing in the commentary box today. When the Chaves group caught Bertie/the Alien, there were cries of "why do you need to chase?" and when Sanchez dropped back to the chasing group, there was a celebration, since the break had been hovering just in front of the red jersey group for a while. When it was clear that the break will stay clear, then they stated it had to be a Polish victory today and Marczyński was the favourite and when it was a Polish 1-2, there were shouts of joy. Only the second Polish victory in the Vuelta (after German, i.e. Niemiec).

Congratulations to Tomasz. At least I picked the right team today. TJ was unlucky. He went down at the same place as Hansen. Looked like a flaw in the road surface. Hopefully, no lasting damage (apart from a few seconds).

Re:

b.broadhurst said:
Bardet and Pozzovivo 7 minutes back.
Their tactics have been a complete failure. They should've allowed Geniez to join the breakaway yesterday and hunt down the polka dot jersey. Especially since Pozzovivo looked after Bardet anyway the last 2 days. Now, they're left with empty hands while Geniez certainly is a stronger climber than Vilella!

staubsauger said:
b.broadhurst said:
Their tactics have been a complete failure. They should've allowed Geniez to join the breakaway yesterday and hunt down the polka dot jersey. Especially since Pozzovivo looked after Bardet anyway the last 2 days. Now, they're left with empty hands while Geniez certainly is a stronger climber than Vilella!
Geniez was apparently in the break today and got dropped on one of the Cat 3s

On Eurosport Kirby and Kelly never even mentioned it was Betancur the rider who went down with Tejay. I'm not on the Betancur hype but it was nice to see him hanging out there with the elite climbers. I think it was ignorant and a little disrespectful not to recognise and mention the rider in that specific situation. We are talking about commentators who have years and years of experience talking about pro cycling.

Eyeballs Out said:
staubsauger said:
b.broadhurst said:
Geniez was apparently in the break today and got dropped on one of the Cat 3s
Ouch! That's weird given the way he raced in the Pyrenees.

TRENDING THREADS