• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 8 : Hellín / Xorret de Catí. 199,5km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jagartrott said:
If Sunweb would've been smart this wouldn't have happened in the first place. They should've either given him a free role, or not taken him to the Vuelta. You can't expect an attacking rider like Barguil - who just won 2 stages, a top-10 and a jersey in the Tour - to be on babysitting duties.
What kind of attack was he trying yesterday? I probably wasn't too attentive.

Barguil probably should have been allowed a free role in the mountains. But free role or not a rider refusing to help the team leader in a situation where that rider has no interests at stake, as happened yesterday, is poison to team morale. Barguil didn't gain anything for himself by refusing to help Kelderman, he only succeeded in sending a message to the rest of the team that (a) he thinks he's too good to help anyone else and (b) he doesn't rate the leader.

Jagartrott said:
klintE said:
But they miss the connection. In other words they miss point who is not smart here
If Sunweb would've been smart this wouldn't have happened in the first place. They should've either given him a free role, or not taken him to the Vuelta. You can't expect an attacking rider like Barguil - who just won 2 stages, a top-10 and a jersey in the Tour - to be on babysitting duties.

What balderdash ....Mikel Kwaito, G Thomas & Mikkel Landa....better riders any day to Barguil do domestique roles all the time...that is what they are paid to do and Barguil is paid to do it at this Vuelta
If your employer ask you do something you do it....unless you are primadonna

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
To put this in perspective, Alberto Contador would have been excluded from the Tour 2009 if he was with Sunweb management.

Difference is that Contador had a #1 on his back. He was also the champion of the last 3 GTs he had won. He had earned undisputed leader status. Barguil, as good as he is, hasn't earned that luxury yet.

Re:

Climbing said:
I still remember various WC with italians chasing each other in those years...
Cycling is rough in the peloton! :)
Not to forget about LeBlanc versus Virenque in 1994. They eventually split up at the end of the year, but they kept going against each other until the world championship race. The officials just let it happen!

HelloDolly said:
Jagartrott said:
klintE said:
But they miss the connection. In other words they miss point who is not smart here

What balderdash ....Mikel Kwaito, G Thomas & Mikkel Landa....better riders any day to Barguil do domestique roles all the time...that is what they are paid to do and Barguil is paid to do it at this Vuelta
If your employer ask you do something you do it....unless you are primadonna

Indeed he knew he wasn't going for GC so if the GC leader is in trouble you help even if you won a jersey in the TDF.

But hey he's God in France and thought he could get away with it. A little bit of capsones these days ...

Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
Climbing said:
I still remember various WC with italians chasing each other in those years...
Cycling is rough in the peloton! :)
Not to forget about LeBlanc versus Virenque in 1994. They eventually split up at the end of the year, but they kept going against each other until the world championship race. The officials just let it happen!
...Leblanc was French national champion that year, after chasing his teammate Gerard Rue who was soloing to victory...

Sunweb should have bet on Barguill: Wilco is nowhere near as good. But in the end, the DS calls the shots, not the riders. I can't blame them.

Re:

mikii4567 said:
Thing is Majka isn't a real fan of muritos, preferring longer but less steeper climbs (a perfect stage for him would be 4x 15km at 6% plus similar MTF). I wonder how he'll do if the break make it

edit:
gregrowlerson said:
What's all this break BS?
Isn't this the Sunweb thread?

It can be as well :D

You would be right two years ago.
But now Majka is much more better on muritos.
I'm sure you remember the stage to Szczyrk a few weeks ago.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
DIFUlq1XsAEO432.jpg

Cycling news live feed says:

Although Contador can't be talked about as a GC contender, given the time he lost on the first mountain stage, he's still a factor in this race. He has Hernandez up the road and Stetina and Pantano with him should he try and make a move on the final climb. The ascent certainly suits the Spaniard and it's up to him to attack. "

How is he not a GC contender? He dropped everyone bar Froome the other day and is only 3 minutes down, he is still in the hunt for victory I think.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Cycling news live feed says:

Although Contador can't be talked about as a GC contender, given the time he lost on the first mountain stage, he's still a factor in this race. He has Hernandez up the road and Stetina and Pantano with him should he try and make a move on the final climb. The ascent certainly suits the Spaniard and it's up to him to attack. "

How is he not a GC contender? He dropped everyone bar Froome the other day and is only 3 minutes down, he is still in the hunt for victory I think.

exactly... the fact that Froome didn't let him go told you everything that you needed to know about how he's seeing him, especially considering what happened last year