• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 Stage 10:Salamanca - Bermillo de Sayagor 177 km

After Monday's well earned rest-day, we're back in action on Tuesday

Vuelta 2018 Stage 10:Salamanca - Bermillo de Sayagor 177 km start 13.21 CET

University town Salamanca holds the start to the 10th stage in La Vuelta a España. At 177 kilometres, the route navigates towards the Portuguese border.

The route navigates the plateaus of northwestern Spain and, for Vuelta standards, the course is rather straightforward. The riders are racing around an altitude of approximately 800 metres for most of the time.

Departure place Salamanca is defined by its university, which dates back to 1218 and is the third-oldest in Europe. Firstly, the route takes the riders on a loop to the east and at kilometre 48 they once again move through Salamanca. The course parallels the south side of the River Tormes to the Portuguese border. A large part of the race runs along the reservoir behind the Almendra Dam, that backs up 2.5 billion cubic metres of water and several drowned villages.

At kilometre 135 the route drops down from 800 metres to 410 metres. The riders cross the Tormes Rivier before they have to go back up again, first with a 4,9 kilometres climb at 5.3%. Following a flat and a drop – both short – the ascent continues and after 7 kilometres at 2.2% the Alto la Venta de los Arribes is crested.

No descent at the top, the route is back at its regular altitude – 800 metres above sea level. Still around 20 kilometres to go in northeasterly direction before a likely sprint showdown in Bermillo de Sayago.

stage-10-profile.jpg

slightly downhill finish
stage-10-5km.jpg

Re: Vuelta 2018 Stage 10:Salamanca - Bermillo de Sayagor 177

Originally there were rumours of it finishing in Fermoselle, which would ment a flat/uphill finish close to that cat. 3 climb. While the stage looks completely forgettable it interestingly visits the vast wilderness of the Spanish-Portuguese border, covered with a number of natural parks. There may be some quality views near the town of Fermoselle.

Yea, the scenery in the Arribes de Duero national park should be spectacular. The Vuelta a Castilla y León did a finish in Fermoselle straight off the climb which used a short loop that included the climb as a run-in rather than, as the Vuelta goes with, doing the climb and then a long flat loop around the Meseta to give the sprinters something to play with. That was won solo by Valverde, results here. The profile was much more difficult:

vuelta-a-castilla-y-leon-2a-etapa-el-alto-de-fermoselle-decide-perfil-001.jpg

Re:

Jungle Cycle said:
Vivian ftw
ps; great job `Robert5091`

Thanks!

Mitchelton-Scott & Yates have the rest day to plan what to do now that he's ("Woops! I won!") in the lead -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simon-yates-back-in-grand-tour-lead-at-vuelta-a-espana/
Yates said, “I was just trying to follow the guys in the race, I was a little bit behind [Quintana], so it’s a surprise, but a good one.”
"Like I said before, I was not expecting to be here today," he said. "I don’t know what the plan is now. We have the rest day to sit down and discuss it.”

(I expect the town of Salamanca is none to pleased with it's name connected to a TV crime family ! https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/BreakingBadSalamancaFamily )

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Viviani should win unless he botches the finale again. If he’s positioned properly - as QS makes sure their sprinters usually are - only an in form Sagan can threaten him in this field. Sagan does not appear to be in form.

Sagan being in TDF form and with this competition could sweep almost half on Vuelta stages. I would be quite glad if he stop riding that tour of boredom and he does Vuelta in top form.

Actually, I found myself really hating TDF. Complete waste of summer time.

Re: Re:

SKSemtex said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Viviani should win unless he botches the finale again. If he’s positioned properly - as QS makes sure their sprinters usually are - only an in form Sagan can threaten him in this field. Sagan does not appear to be in form.

Sagan being in TDF form and with this competition could sweep almost half on Vuelta stages. I would be quite glad if he stop riding that tour of boredom and he does Vuelta in top form.

There’s an all-time green jersey record looming ahead. ;) :D

Re: Re:

SKSemtex said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

Normally he really wouldnt be, but this year there's not the normal amount of muritos. It has been puncheur finales instead which obviously suits him better than 1-2 km at +10%.