• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 stage 17: Getxo - Balcón de Bizkaia 157 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mas/Valverde looked pretty sharp. I suspect Yates didn't want to go too deep and felt OK about losing a bit in the final 100 meters. I wouldn't say he bonked but he wasn't the strongest today.

Overall, I'm not sure I liked the stage. the finish climb was more of a gimmick than what I'd consider an MTF. I know these guys are all 100x stronger than I'll ever be, but realistically any sustained gradient over 15-16 percent is barely rideable . Sure, they can do it, but what's the point?

Re: Re:

burning said:
bambino said:
Yates bonking as expected

This is anything but bonking though, also Movistar is just dumb to not control the break.
Maybe they knew Nairo didn't have the legs? After all, MS had three guys left in the group because they've been pushing Movistar to do all the work controlling the breaks. Having two contenders could have ruined Movistar's chance of winning it because they haven't committed to Valverde, similar to how Froome lost to Cobo because Sky didn't commit to Froome until Wiggins definitively dropped away by which time it was too late. Valverde outsprinting Yates to gain time at the very end was absolutely expected, but if Valverde is going to win this race he needs Yates to either implode like Dumoulin in 2015 or indeed Yates in the Giro (which seems unlikely as Yates has had to do far less work than he did in the Giro to get to this point, and also because Mitchelton-Scott have refused to pace the bunch at all and have shipped the jersey to Herrada for a couple of days too, his domestiques are much less likely to explode around him like they did in the Giro or like Froome's did in 2016) or he needs time bonuses, so Movistar will have to control the bunch in the two Andorra stages. Valverde needs to take this kind of amount of time on Yates plus time bonuses twice. The likes of Más will be useful allies in such circumstances as Yates has a decent sprint himself so if he isn't distanced he can get some time bonuses himself. La Rabassa is not going to be conducive to distancing Yates so it's going to be all about the Canolich stage. Yates can stand to lose a few seconds at the line if he either doesn't have to worry about time bonuses or if he's going to get some of them himself.

If I'm a Movistar DS, I'm telling Carapaz and Amador that both of them are getting in the break on the Canolich stage. Quintana is getting into that break, by hook or by crook. If I can't get him in that first move, him and Anacona are trying to bridge together. I want Mitchelton-Scott chasing from first thing that day, and I'm also maybe trying to entice another team with a couple of cards to join in. Some strong riders on other teams who are stagehunting could be approached for deals - Majka, Rodríguez, Pernsteiner, Zakarin, Teuns, de la Cruz. The objective is so that either Haig or Adam Yates is gone before Canolich, so he only has one helper, and you know, if they never catch Nairito they never catch Nairito and that's that.

Mar 19, 2017
Visit site
Congrats to Rafał, he was amazing today (his birthday btw). You always complaints about Majka's style, but today, I think, he rode at the absolute limit plus he ride it smart. Strange combination for Rafał but he did it. And he even attacks at 994 meter before the finish line. Today all the fans of Rafał should be proud of him.

Wszystkiego najlepszego Rafał, dziś byłeś wielki!

Blanco said:
HelloDolly said:
FFS why did Movistar not control this stage for a Valverde win !!!!

He could have done with bonus seconds

And who the hell would predict that he would win or took bonus after that TT yesterday? Easy to be smart after the race...

Jaasus ....who rattled your cage

Movistar should have started to ride for Valverde since a few days ago when Quintana SAID he had no legs

Re:

Bolder said:
Mas/Valverde looked pretty sharp. I suspect Yates didn't want to go too deep and felt OK about losing a bit in the final 100 meters. I wouldn't say he bonked but he wasn't the strongest today.

Overall, I'm not sure I liked the stage. the finish climb was more of a gimmick than what I'd consider an MTF. I know these guys are all 100x stronger than I'll ever be, but realistically any sustained gradient over 15-16 percent is barely rideable . Sure, they can do it, but what's the point?
I think the point is that domestiques are so strong these days, that you have to put in gradients well above 10% to ensure a true mano-a-mano between the GC contenders. Even gradients of 9-10% can be controlled by a strong team, like Sky do in the Tour every year.

Yeah, Valverde is just such a poor rider. Buhuu..

By the way, now all the three WorldTeams who were fighting to be the last team to get a WT win this season have won two stages in this Vuelta. And two more stages have gone to wild card teams. Pretty crazy.

HelloDolly said:
Blanco said:
HelloDolly said:

And who the hell would predict that he would win or took bonus after that TT yesterday? Easy to be smart after the race...

Movistar should have started to ride for Valverde since a few days ago when Quintana SAID he had no legs
Was that around the same time that you were slating him for not attacking and putting minutes into everyone, like some kind of computer game? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:
Blanco said:
HelloDolly said:

Was that around the same time that you were slating him for not attacking and putting minutes into everyone, like some kind of computer game? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sure I wanted him to attack about 3 stages ago and then he said he didnt have the legs so fair enough

If you want to be nasty go ahead...its your modus operandi on here all the time anyway

HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:
Blanco said:
HelloDolly said:

Sure I wanted him to attack about 3 stages ago and then he said he didnt have the legs so fair enough

If you want to be nasty go ahead...its your modus operandi on here all the time anyway
Right. So when you said 'Movistar should have started to ride for Valverde since a few days ago when Quintana SAID he had no legs', you meant since the rest day.

Since then there has only been a time trial and and today's stage. Sounds like you're making up a bit of a narrative as you go along. :rolleyes:

Pricey_sky said:
MuskyOurSaviour said:
bambino said:
Yates bonking as expected

You should re-evaluate your definition of words.

Definitely wasn’t a bonk, I think he was still 3rd of the GC riders and lost 8s.

Calm down. Bonk might be a wrong word, but I did not mean it for this stage. I was referring to how he looked after the finish and when cooling down in the bike. He was absolutely spent, but also seems to feel quite some mental pressure. I just don't think he is going to win this Vuelta.

Valverde looked fresh like flower when joking with Berto though.

Re:

hfer07 said:
Great stage
Congrats to Mr Woods - well deserved win
So it looks like the GC is down between Yates, the Don & Enric

Quintana? its time for him to abandon any GC ambitions & domestique entirely for the Don.
I'm not sure how he can be much use as a domestique in his current shape. I guess he could try to get in the break or attack from range, but Astana, Lotto-NL and probably Quickstep would all help Mitchelton in chasing him down, so it would just be a waste.

And it doesn't look like he has the legs on a climb to put Adam Yates into difficulty right now, let alone Simon.

Pricey_sky said:
movingtarget said:
Gigs_98 said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
This is ridiculous - show the **** race
Starting to think the moto on the Yates group must have stalled.
This

They have a camera on Quintana but not the red jersey group...........

They had a camera on front of the Yates group and behind Quintana. That camera bike at the front stalling on the steep gradients could actually be a decent explanation.

You would hope so but the coverage has been hit and miss overall.

TRENDING THREADS