• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 stage 17: Getxo - Balcón de Bizkaia 157 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

bambino said:
Inquitus said:
Today was Valverde's best opportunity to take time from Yates, the last 2 major challenges look likely to favour Yates over Valverde more so that today's finish. If Yates is not going to collapse and I don't think it likely, it is going to take something very special from Valverde to win this Vuelta, especially with Adam back, and able, to support Yates if he does get into some trouble. It is now incumbent on QS, Movistar and Astana to keep the bonuses in play on Stages 19 and 20 to help reduce the current 25 second gap further if the opportunity presents itself. Personally I think we can rule it down to Yates, Valverde, Mas and MAL at this point. A Vueltan transistion / Sprinters day tomorrow, so perhaps a day off for the GC for some recovery ahead of the 2 deciding stages 19 and 20 on Friday and Saturday before the procession to Madrid on Sunday!

NL4KiK1.png

Fqm6JDc.png

2ZVKvFS.png

The New Bookies Predictions for the race

Simon Yates 8/13
Alejandro Valverde 3
Enric Mas 7
Miguel Angel Lopez 11
Nairo Quintana 18
Mikel Landa 30
Steven Kruijswijk 50

Where do I get those odds? Will bet big money to Landa right now!

https://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/vuelta-a-espana/winner

Unibet have him featured at 30/1 for some reason, I guess its free money if some uneducated muppet clicks and bets!

Re:

Inquitus said:
Today was Valverde's best opportunity to take time from Yates, the last 2 major challenges look likely to favour Yates over Valverde more so that today's finish. If Yates is not going to collapse and I don't think it likely, it is going to take something very special from Valverde to win this Vuelta, especially with Adam back, and able, to support Yates if he does get into some trouble. It is now incumbent on QS, Movistar and Astana to keep the bonuses in play on Stages 19 and 20 to help reduce the current 25 second gap further if the opportunity presents itself. Personally I think we can rule it down to Yates, Valverde, Mas and MAL at this point. A Vueltan transistion / Sprinters day tomorrow, so perhaps a day off for the GC for some recovery ahead of the 2 deciding stages 19 and 20 on Friday and Saturday before the procession to Madrid on Sunday!

NL4KiK1.png

Fqm6JDc.png

2ZVKvFS.png

The New Bookies Predictions for the race

Simon Yates 8/13
Alejandro Valverde 3
Enric Mas 7
Miguel Angel Lopez 11
Nairo Quintana 18
Mikel Landa 30
Steven Kruijswijk 50
With that profile the Andorra stage really, really reminds me of the Ortisei stage of last year's Giro.

And Rabassa = Pratonevoso from this year.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Flamin said:
Jagartrott said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Teuns has been in 5 breaks and finished 3rd - 5th - 4th - 3rd - 2nd. I think you could say he deserves a win now
I think he could've won today, if he let Woods attack first in that final km.

Woods did attack first. Teuns went with him and immediately attacked himself but he shouldn't have done that with still 600m to go and the great punch he has. Woods was still a bit stronger in the end though so it would have been difficult regardless.

It must have been the heat that knackered him in the first week, because he's been great since temperatures went down.
Yes and he also rode a good ITT, he's in great shape and apparently he just sucks in the heat.

Chapeau Woods & EF! Teuns is long overdue a breakaway win too.

Nairo has run out of oumph, Aru has gone down with the "LRP's" and Kruijswijk, Pinot etc have to fit for crumbs now. (did Rigo beat Uran or vice versa? :))

Enric Mas & Valverde putting time into Yates - is there still a fight for Red?

Gigs_98 said:
movingtarget said:
Great atmosphere on the climb and better still no incidents with fans.

Poor Aru it only gets worse for him.
I really think there should be more basque country stages in the vuelta. Those cycling crazy crowds on those super steep roads probably make for the best atmosphere in cycling.

And not drunk.

Globally, fans are more respetuous in Italy and Spain than in french summers, where all kind of freaks appear to make their sideshow from cycling.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I've had to come to the conclusion that I'm starting to hate steep climbs. No one attacks all out anymore cause having a bad moment costs way too much time.

This is sort of the point I was making earlier in this thread. My favorite climbs -- both as a rider and TV watcher -- are moderately long, grindy ones with lots of hairpins -- i.e. Col de Joux Plane. I get the argument that domestiques have become so strong and specialized that they can snuff out any attacks before they start, but as also noted, this mostly applies to Sky. I genuinely felt bad for the riders on the balcon yesterday.

tobydawq said:
shalgo said:
Future star Oscar Rodriguez was the 13th finisher out of the peloton today (30th overall, with 17 people from the break ahead of him).

Good thing they pulled so hard then so he didn't end outside of top 30.

on home soil it was worth a try, I think. And he may had even finished better without the crash of Aru/Pernsteiner, the way I understood it, he started the climb way behind the favourite's group

TRENDING THREADS