• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a Andalucia Ruta Ciclista Del Sol 2019

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage
Clipboard.gif

Tim W ~+3:30

GC
Clipboard.gif

That was a funny display of tactics between the two Astana leaders, Fuglsang and Izagirre, with Fuglsang apparently driving the pace on Hazallanas with Izagirre constantly 20 meters behind. I guess another explanation is that Fuglsang held the pace a little bit lower than he could have, in order to have Izagirre with him for the descent.

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Valv.Piti said:
Fuglsang just took matters into his own hands and went as hard as he could to win the race. Cant blame him for that.
I think it was quite a tactical error trying to eliminate your teammate who could turn out to be critical in closing down potential dangerous attacks.

in the end he also dropped Haig though, who still could have turned into a dangerman for him, with both a team mate ahead as well as with him in the favorite's group.

Sunday's stage 5 - Otura - Alhaurín de la Torre 164 km

https://www.cyclingstage.com/ruta-del-sol-2019/stage-5-route-rds-2019/
The flag is dropped in Otura, just south of Granada. Some 10 kilometres after the start the riders enter a false flat which continues onto a 9 kilometres climb at 3.1% to the village Agrón. The route descents to the Embalse de Los Bermejales, a beautiful man-made reservoir, before the next uphill appears. Not the hardest climb in Andalucia either: 5.2 kilometres at 2.8%.

The Ruta del Sol moves through Alhama de Granada and ascents the Alto del Navazo. The 6.4 kilometres climb at 3.8% drops to the plains around Zafarraya. Up next is the Alto de las Canteras, which slopes for 4.1 kilometres at 4.4%.

The second half of the race is easier. The route descents from 1,096 metres to around 300 metres before the last KOM climb appears. The Alto Valle de la Vida is 2.7 kilometres at 7.6% and takes in some double digits ramps. The peak is crested in Almogía with almost 30 kilometres remaining to the finish line.

The route runs just north of Málaga Airport to Alhaurín de la Torre. The arrival was included before in the 2015 Ruta del Sol when Juan José Lobato outsprinted John Degenkolb on the false flat finish.

The last stage of the 2019 Ruta del Sol leaves at 11:50 and the expected finish is around 15:55 – both are local times.

stage-5-profile.jpg

Stage 5 starts at 11:50am CET (5:50am U.S. Eastern)

Finish at around 3:55pm CET (9:55am U.S. Eastern)

Live video from 3:00pm CET (9:00am U.S. Eastern)

Re:

Red Rick said:
http://www.climbing-records.com/2019/02/simon-yates-back-in-spain-back-on-attack.html

Solid performance from Yates. I love Hazallanas and I would love to see the Vuelta use that climb without using it as a MTF.

Also, damn Contador and Froome went absolutely full genius there in 2015. Such a shame that was basically their last H2H duel.
PROFIL-1-2.png

Personally, what I'd like more is a stage that climbs to Hazallanas THEN to Pradollano via Las Sabinas, descends via the A-395 (the 'traditional' side of Sierra Nevada), loops round, then climbs El Purche and descends to finish in Granada so the colossus is the penultimate climb.

It could even be a 110-120km Granada-Granada mini-stage if they desperately want a short stage.

jzhJ1QO.png