• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 21 San Sebastián de los Reyes - Madrid 85km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:
cav is clearly the best.. sorry cav's haters (he can be stupid sometimes, but he is the best)
Clearly.

pic140451649_600.jpg

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:

Of course...... Cav can be an idiot at times, and while his comments after today's stage sound petty again, it's looked obvious that something was up with cav. Still, giving farrar today that's only 3 wins out of what, 25 odd for farrar, not clearly quicker than cav

HTC have one hell of a deal with Cav in cycling. He wins 3 stages he wins the green jersey.

He loses a stage, and yet absolutely all the talk is about him. Even when he loses he gets the most exposure. I really really hope my home country starts to recognise him more. Cav is Britains number 1 athlete and in many ways, even though they dont know it, one of their biggest stars (because of his fame in europe)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
HTC have one hell of a deal with Cav in cycling. He wins 3 stages he wins the green jersey.

He loses a stage, and yet absolutely all the talk is about him. Even when he loses he gets the most exposure. I really really hope my home country starts to recognise him more. Cav is Britains number 1 athlete and in many ways, even though they dont know it, one of their biggest stars (because of his fame in europe)

Exactly. Would be great if he could win sports personality of the year and push cycling further into the limekight

The Hitch said:

How are you going to convince people that a rider finishing 144th on GC is the number 1 athlete? :p

On a slightly more serious note i've seen people use this argument when comparing a 4th place finish by Wiggins and all the stage wins Cavendish got in 2009.

stefrees said:
Exactly. Would be great if he could win sports personality of the year and push cycling further into the limekight

roundabout said:
How are you going to convince people that a rider finishing 144th on GC is the number 1 athlete? :p

On a slightly more serious note i've seen people use this argument when comparing a 4th place finish by Wiggins and all the stage wins Cavendish got in 2009.
I think this year if he wanted to, he could have beaten Wiggins in the tour.

But the problem is this stupid mentality towards cycling here. I wouldnt be surprised if most people thought the Tour de France was like the London Marathon - a few proffesionals but mainly amateurs looking for an achievment.

They should realise there is more to cycling than the tour. Its a lot Cavendishes fault. when interviewed here he talks about his stage wins and most of all how the Champs Elysee was the greatest moment of his life.

No you Stunnade. The greatest moment of your life was Milan San remo. Thats a cycling monument. Its far bigger than a tdf stage win. Cav should make a far bigger deal out of MSR. If he tells them that this was more important they wil lbuy this. It might even increase the profile of monuments in this country.

The only other race that matters is the worlds. Cav needws to win this in Copenhgagen next year. I think this will increase his profile. And of course the ORR. But since we expect Britain to for various reasons (including clinic) to be winning 2 golds a day there, it might not get that much exposure.

The problem with BBC SPoty is that it is run by the bbs for whom sport is clearly defined with in the boundries of anything that appears on bbc tv. Since they just bought rights to formula 1 a f1 race victory < 10 cav tdf stage wins. Out of spite, they also do there absolute best to play down the importance of any sport which they dont broadcast.

This thing of ours is on eurosport. So for the bbc it pretty much doesnt exist. the only reason Cav was nominated last year was because they had no other athletes to choose from.

Fortunately, the way British sport is going though, he will probably have places on BBC spoty every year for a while. ;)

Cav is a classic isn't he?

According to Cav, Farrar surely must have noticed that Cav did a spoke 4km from the finish line? And then he had the audacity not to mention this to the press.

All Cav had to say was, "I wasn't so fast today because I broke a spoke,.. see here, look at my buckled wheel.... but congrats to Farrar for riding a great race, he's a true champion."

He should allow the rest of us to connect the dots. The moment he criticises Farrar he looks vindictive.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
All Cav had to say was, "I wasn't so fast today because I broke a spoke,.. see here, look at my buckled wheel.... but congrats to Farrar for riding a great race, he's a true champion."

Maybe something like: "Tyler did a great sprint nonetheless, and has been going well throughout the race."

Which is what he did say.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The problem with BBC SPoty is that it is run by the bbs for whom sport is clearly defined with in the boundries of anything that appears on bbc tv. Since they just bought rights to formula 1 a f1 race victory < 10 cav tdf stage wins. Out of spite, they also do there absolute best to play down the importance of any sport which they dont broadcast.

This thing of ours is on eurosport. So for the bbc it pretty much doesnt exist. the only reason Cav was nominated last year was because they had no other athletes to choose from.

Fortunately, the way British sport is going though, he will probably have places on BBC spoty every year for a while. ;)

CAv made the shortlist last year because he was chosen by the sports editors of national newspapers, maybe the BBC have some sort of veto but thats how its done.

- Journos make the shortlist.
- public vote for the winner from said shortlist.
- horse Racing journos moan because tony McCoy hasn't won again

Thats how it works in 3 easy steps.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
al_pacino said:
CAv made the shortlist last year because he was chosen by the sports editors of national newspapers, maybe the BBC have some sort of veto but thats how its done.

- Journos make the shortlist.
- public vote for the winner from said shortlist.
- horse Racing journos moan because tony McCoy hasn't won again

Thats how it works in 3 easy steps.

The fourth step is that a lot of people complain that an overweight 50 year darts player hasn't been acclaimed as Britain's greatest athlete.