• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 6 Caravaca de Cruz - Murcia 151km

Vuelta a España - Stage 6 Caravaca de Cruz - Murcia 151km

mapa6.jpg

6_perfil.gif

Sprinters stage.

Cav

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about Cav for this. That Cat 2 climb in the last 30k could see him struggle.

A breakaway may win but with I'll go out on a total limb and go for Greg Van Avermaet. He had a great ride in yesterday's stage.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Nah, 4,4km@6,7% with just 10 flat km before the finish is enough to avoid a mass sprint if some decent climber(s) is seriously interested in winning the stage/grabbing time bonuses.

I think there's a tricky descent as well. I remember Sastre crashing there in 2001 and various people from the break having problems last year. I've read that this year there's a detour though.

Van Avermaet is a good choice, maybe even Gilbert himself. OTOH there isn't much incentive for most of the teams to catch the breakaway.

Cav doesn't look like he'll make it if they ride hard enough in the climb, maybe Goss would be a better option tomorrow. Van Avermaet too, obviously. Freire. Maybe Hushovd if he can be bothered. But maybe it's a better day for guys like Barredo and Florencio.

In TDF a similar stage would have ended with either a bunch sprint, or a solo victory by Vino. In the vuelta however a stage like this might actually have some impact on the GC, as that small hill in giro had.

Pozzato to win the stage from a small group that gets away on the climb.

maltiv said:
In TDF a similar stage would have ended with either a bunch sprint, or a solo victory by Vino. In the vuelta however a stage like this might actually have some impact on the GC, as that small hill in giro had.

Pozzato to win the stage from a small group that gets away on the climb.

20 km out? a small hill like this? i dont see it. In the tour the vino solo victory was when the hill was 3km out.

And what giro stage are you reffering to?

The Hitch said:
20 km out? a small hill like this? i dont see it. In the tour the vino solo victory was when the hill was 3km out.

And what giro stage are you reffering to?
The map is wrong.
The stage includes a very well known final and also very exciting trap: it has to be climbed to the Alto de la Cresta del Gallo (2nd category) very closed to the finish line, exactly just 10 km before it. This climbing is not only very hard because of its ramps, but also includes a very accelerated descent, which sometimes shows greater differences between the riders than the climbing, as it was already seen last year.

Lulu.

Peter Velits could be one to watch. He's only 16 seconds back so a 20 second win bonus for him could see him take the overall lead. He may try to get into a breakaway group on that climb or try to take the bunch sprint. If some of the main sprinters make it back then he doesnt stand a chance but if someone like Caisse drive it along hoping to set up Sanchez from a 25-30 strong group then he could do it. Someone like Nicholas Roche could be a willing breakaway partner. Van Garderen could fancy his chances too.

Intriguing one for the points classification too. If some of the big sprinters are missing then the ones who are there stand to make a big gain giving them extra motivation. If farrar gets dropped then he has Millar, Zabriskie, van de velde to help him back

Oldest winner ...?

Guys, (I think) I found out something interesting, and I know it has nothing to do with this particular stage, but I couldn't find a more suitable thread to post it, so I decided to put it here, since it's a Vuelta thread at least...

It's a historical thing:

I realized that Tony Rominger in 1994 was the oldest Vuelta winner at age 33. Or maybe someone here can find an older winner further back in history and prove me wrong??

Quite a tender age for an "oldest winner" record for a GT, eh?

icefire said:
Same finish as last year stage 10, with 6 extra km between the climb and the finish. The breakaway wasn't chased then.

Yea, but that was after two consecutive mountain stages (Alto de Aitana and Xorret del Catí) and so the GC guys were after a rest. Here, however, the gaps at the top are still pretty tight and some people might fancy a day or two in red.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
the climb is about 13km from the end.
I agree that it could prevent a sprinters victory (tho, I'm sure someone like friere will make it over) but it won't make a difference to GC aspirations.

maltiv said:
Stage 12 this year. The hill top was 12 km from the line, and the hill tomorrow is harder, in addition to having a much trickier descent. You can see the profile here: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/imageBank/g/giro_2010_profile_st12.jpg

Meh the first 60 riders were within 10 seconds. And overall that was a harder stage that this. Pretty sure that was when cuddles went fisty cups in the peleton.

Lots of false stage profiles. Because this one showing that it's 20km after the top of the climb, but I hear here that it's just 12km after the top of the climb.
Big difference...
So far every stage profile posted here wasn't right and CN.com also provides false profiles. A little bit dissapointing by CN.com if you ask me.

Anyways with a nice steep climb 12km from the finish this should provide us with some spectacle. Atleast I'm hoping there will be some. The top10 in GC can get some extra seconds so why shouldn't they try?
It for sure won't be a bunchsprint with the likes of Cavendish or Farrar.
Freire ofcourse can make it today....

Kwibus said:
Lots of false stage profiles. Because this one showing that it's 20km after the top of the climb, but I hear here that it's just 12km after the top of the climb.
Big difference...
So far every stage profile posted here wasn't right and CN.com also provides false profiles. A little bit dissapointing by CN.com if you ask me.

Anyways with a nice steep climb 12km from the finish this should provide us with some spectacle. Atleast I'm hoping there will be some. The top10 in GC can get some extra seconds so why shouldn't they try?
It for sure won't be a bunchsprint with the likes of Cavendish or Farrar.
Freire ofcourse can make it today....

If you have the proper profile you're welcome to post it, the official site has not updated it.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
From the official Vuelta web site

Detailed course for today's stage:
http://www.lavuelta.com/10/en/recorrido/index.html?e=6

Detailed course for last year's stage:
http://www.lavuelta.com/09/ingles/recorrido/10_horario.html

The course between the last climb and the finish is not the same and neither is the distance (11.5 km last year, 17.4 km today).

So far, profiles and detailed stage courses from the official site have been correct. CN is still hosting the profiles from the Vuelta presentation in December last year. I've posted on the differences between those and the actual ones and there is no change for today to the best of my knowledge.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
the climb is about 13km from the end.
I agree that it could prevent a sprinters victory (tho, I'm sure someone like friere will make it over) but it won't make a difference to GC aspirations.

Meh the first 60 riders were within 10 seconds. And overall that was a harder stage that this. Pretty sure that was when cuddles went fisty cups in the peleton.

When he was "banned" from chasing.

Anyway, if it is an solo attack that decides this stage then it should be between LLS (though he may have gc aspirations), Roche and gilbert. If it is a sprint then van avermaet or freire are the best choices.

One thing I am worried about is Cancellara's form. It is quite average and he has had a long season.

TRENDING THREADS