• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 8: September 6 - Alzira - Alto de Aitana, 206km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Holland is a part of the Netherlands. Two of the Netherlands' ten or so regions are called North Holland and South Holland.

It's kinda like calling the USA "Carolina".

ta. good thing i'm used to calling it the netherlands anyway then. though the idea to start calling the us carolina is pretty good thinking on your part. should be able to confuse a few yank heids with that :)

I don't think there's gonna be a lot of action. The rest of week two is too tough for the favorites to be doing to much today i warrant. Maybe Dan Martin will try to do a Sastre and launch an attack from the base; he'll probably be allowed to go off.

My prediction: About 80 start at the foot of the Aitana. Saxo and Caisse lead the way up, slowly whittling it down. 2/3rds of the way up Basso or Sanchez might launch an attack when the peleton is down to like 20. Valverde and Rodriguez take over and chase down Basso/Sanchez. Finally a group of about 10-12 guys gets formed and Valverde leads them up. In the last km Sanchez, Evans and Valverde battle it out for the win, and Valverde takes it narrowly, taking the gold jersey as well just ahead of Evans. Book it.

There's been a fair amount of action. Flying along, with the half way mark, soon to be reached.
Break at 13"
Pieter Weening (Rabobank), David Moncoutie (Cofidis), Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil), Sébastien Hinault (Ag2r La Mondiale), Paul Voss (Team Milram) and William Bonnet (BBox Bouygues Telecom)

Moncoutie after the mountain jersey, again.

A

Anonymous

Schlecklet not feeling it. Wonder if he will show at worlds?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
:eek: do they not like that?? seriously?? :eek:

:eek:

almost nobody cares.
look at football matches from the dutch team. everybody wears HOLLAND shirts and sings HUP HOLLAND HUP. most people who visit those matches are not from the two 'holland' provinces.

we have tv-shows named 'heel holland helpt' and 'ik hou van holland', both meaning the netherlands and not just the 2 holland provinces.

i use both, holland is easier to type :).
it's not the right way, but it's pretty much accepted everywhere. i personally don't know anybody who is bothered by it.

Thoughtforfood said:
Schlecklet not feeling it. Wonder if he will show at worlds?

Sure, even if it's only to do what he can for his bro. Probably decided it was to taxing to use a prep for Worlds and Lombardy. Still three weeks till the worlds. He can take a few days off and start prepping. He'll be up there at the worlds i think.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I wonder how long till Frank drops out too? When/If Cancellara loses the jersey tonight the whole team might pack up and go home.

Cadel has a bit of a dilemma, he is the highest placed GC rider so if he sticks with the lead group he could end up in Gold; then will SIL try to defend with such a long time after the 2nd rest day(I don't think they can, too many spanish alliances)? Or does he take the Gold jersey and try to defend for a few days til the rest day then pull out for the worlds on a mental high?

Have to wait for the next couple days to unfold i guess

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Cadel has a bit of a dilemma, he is the highest placed GC rider so if he sticks with the lead group he could end up in Gold; then will SIL try to defend with such a long time after the 2nd rest day(I don't think they can, too many spanish alliances)? Or does he take the Gold jersey and try to defend for a few days til the rest day then pull out for the worlds on a mental high?

Have to wait for the next couple days to unfold i guess

if Cadel manages to somehow get the jersey today, I can't see him keeping it tomorrow on such a punchy climb like the Xorret de Catí. So I don't think that situation will arise.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
If Cadel does decide to hang around; the 2 weeks he spent in the Sierra Nevada's in May will at least have given him some insight of what lies ahead.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I am for Basso though I have the feeling that Valverde is going to take it today, I don't know why.
By the way does anybody know why the younger Schleck abondoned?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Thomas said:
Blimey, and i was still rooting for younger schlek. Shows how much I know. Who shall I root for now? Wegelius?

This is why it's so much safer to bet on who's going to leave the Vuelta early than who's going to win.

Playing Fantasy Vuelta games you quickly learn two things:
One, Spaniards want to win the Vuelta, two, almost everyone else will quit by the end of week two.

TRENDING THREADS