• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 9: Calpe - Alcoi 187.7 km

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Vuelta a España - Stage 9: Calpe - Alcoi 187.7 km

Here is the map:

mapa9.jpg

Profile and weather:

etp9.gif

The last 3km:

9uk.gif

As usual, CN still hosting the old profile:

stage_9_profile_600.jpg

Note the official course has one more climb at the end of the stage and the finish is 1.5 km uphill.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Looks like an awful stage for Euskatel to control, surely they willlet a break go to take the bonuses and then we will see some crazy classics style action, if break caught Gilbert ftw

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
looks like a good stage for a break to succeed, so I guess there is a whole bunch of riders to think about for the win.

I'm gonna go with Txurruka, from a break =).

Only to add these:
Coll de Rates 6,8km @ 5,15% 2nd cat
Alto de Guadalest 5,3km @ 7,17% 2nd cat
Alto de Confrides 11,8km @ 3,47% 3rd cat
Alto de Tudons 7,2Km @ 4,78% 2nd cat
Puerto de Torremanzanas 8,3km @ 5,42% 2nd cat
Puerto de Benifallín 5,3km @ 5,00% 3rd cat
Alto del Revolcat 5,9km @ 4,41% 3rd cat

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
I don't think Txurruka, or any orange Basque (except maybe for Garate...) will feature in a break tomorrow.

Didn't know Garate was Basque, cheers.

He's not that far down on GC, though, I don't think.

There are 29 potential KOM points in this stage, so I think Moncoutie and Martinez might have to join the break again.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Didn't know Garate was Basque, cheers.

He's not that far down on GC, though, I don't think.

There are 29 potential KOM points in this stage, so I think Moncoutie and Martinez might have to join the break again.

Moncoutie seems to be dealing with the heat quite well, is +11:45 on GC...so this is a safe bet. But who will take the stage? It looks to my eye to be more difficult than it appears...joke. I could almost see a Moncoutie repeat, but he certainly won't fight it out at the end. So I would have to guess something like this:
1. Bruseghin
2. Sastre
3. Van Garderen

I only put Tejay in there because of the obvious...

But this is only because I am not really familiar with riders like Serafin Martinez, and it ignores tons of quality in the top 20 right now, including Anton and Rodriguez and Nibali and Uran and even Roche....or Arroyo

If it's a slightly larger bunch I would favor Karpets, which I find likely since the GC contenders are not likely to force a late selection. "He's due" as they say.

But what the heck is F Schleck up to? What is he training for? What is he waiting for? Is he Sandbagging with eye for a new year and a new team?

Say, is there anywhere that wagering on professional cycling is legal? And please don't tell me "Vegas"?

The profiles of the climbs:

Alto de les Planes, the second little climb in the begining:

PlanesS.gif

Alto de Llosa, the climb before Coll the Rates:

LlosaE.gif

Coll de Rates, only the last 7km of the profile:

RatesN.gif

Guadalest - Turron Duro, the hardest of the day:

turronduro.jpg

Puerto de Confrides: the profile includes Guadalest as well, so properly Pto. de Confrides is only the last 8km of this

ConfridesSE.gif

Puerto de Tudons, the same as yesterday, only th last 8km of the profile:

TudonsN.gif

Puerto de Torremanzzanas - Pto. de Teix, with a veeery steep section and the best point to attack:

teix_ccl_044_clt_alt_068-081_035_g.jpg

Puerto de Benifallim - Rentonar, only the last 5km:

BenifallimS.gif

In the middle of the downhill of Rentonar, there a little wall, something like 800m. at 10%.

Then, there's the Puerto de Revolcat, 6km at 4,5%.

The finish is like 1,1Km at 5,5%.

----------------------

Did you know that this stage was designed by a cycling fan from one of the villges near Alcoy, member of a popular spanish cycling forum? And a gruop of people of that forum (see my signature) send the stage to Unipublic (we do that a lot, xD). No wonder is the best designed stage of them all, xDDD.

i reckon that the parcours of this stage is kind of awesome.that guy should send some ideas to proudhomme too.i mean 6 climbs in the last 80 km and an uphill finish,this is how it's done.(that stage to pau from this year's tour still makes me puke).

today,i don't think gillbert will have the strength to arrive at the finish in the front group so no win for him.katusha will push hard for rodriguez because he wants so bad that rojo jersey.i'm so curious about caisse d'epargne.probably rigoberto will strike again and what about sastre and/or menchov?it'll be interesting.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i reckon that the parcours of this stage is kind of awesome.that guy should send some ideas to proudhomme too.i mean 6 climbs in the last 80 km and an uphill finish,this is how it's done.(that stage to pau from this year's tour still makes me puke).

today,i don't think gillbert will have the strength to arrive at the finish in the front group so no win for him.katusha will push hard for rodriguez because he wants so bad that rojo jersey.i'm so curious about caisse d'epargne.probably rigoberto will strike again and what about sastre and/or menchov?it'll be interesting.

Having Vino win every single stage at TDF would be a nightmare for Prudhomme.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The break:

MONCOUTIE David (065), PERAUD Jean-Christophe (137), KADRI Biel (016), CATALDO Dario (142), CARUSO Gianpaolo (182), LOPEZ GARCIA David (055), KREUZIGER Roman (125), PUJOL MUNOZ Oscar (006) VANENDERT Jelle (139), RABUNAL RIOS Gonzalo (218), QUEMENEUR Perrig (046), BARREDO LLAMAZALES Carlos (141), GASPAROTTO Enrico (036) y MARTINEZ DE ESTEBAN Egoi (074)

craig1985 said:
Can you guys please work for ASO and design the Tour de France?

xDDDD

Thanks, but we are having a hard time with Unipublic. When we're than with them, i promise we would learn french and start to be a pain in the neck of ASO, xDDD.

The Vuelta has improved A LOT with this medium mountain kind of stages (Alcoy, Valdepeñas...) since 2007 (and I reckon, or believe, that we have some influence) but the high mountains...that's another story: there's a lot of mountain top finishes but without any big climbs before.

Anyway, let's hope today we see a great stage, the route is beautiful.

insideout leadout said:
The break:

MONCOUTIE David (065), PERAUD Jean-Christophe (137), KADRI Biel (016), CATALDO Dario (142), CARUSO Gianpaolo (182), LOPEZ GARCIA David (055), KREUZIGER Roman (125), PUJOL MUNOZ Oscar (006) VANENDERT Jelle (139), RABUNAL RIOS Gonzalo (218), QUEMENEUR Perrig (046), BARREDO LLAMAZALES Carlos (141), GASPAROTTO Enrico (036) y MARTINEZ DE ESTEBAN Egoi (074)
Of all Caisse guys, only David López? Bah.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Eus, Kat, Liq are all represented in the break, so I think it will stick. Barredo might end up in red. Anton is likely going to lose it anyway since J-Rod is only 1 second behind.

insideout leadout said:
Eus, Kat, Liq are all represented in the break, so I think it will stick. Barredo might end up in red. Anton is likely going to lose it anyway since J-Rod is only 1 second behind.
Vladimir Gusev is another one in the break that could end up in the red, being only 21 seconds behind Barredo.

edit: although I'm not quite sure if he's in the break or not, the live ticker is kinda confusing.

Fun fact: Four from the KOM top10 has made the break today (Moncoutie, Cataldo, Pujol and Egoi M), it's gonna be interesting to see who's going for mountain points during the stage.

EDIT: And Abeja and Kadri also has points in the competition. although very few. Petacchi just withdrew, guess that does it regarding his chances at a Geelong-spot. At least he got a stage win before withdrawing.